Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: topher builds a Capra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2019, 09:36 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: topher builds a Capra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Tried to get out for a shakedown today but it was cut short after realizing there isn’t enough clearance with the wheels. They spin but once on the trail they were causing drag and even binding up when on obstacles. The motor got hot quick so I headed home to trouble shoot.

After targeting the issue at the wheels I took out the dremel to make a little room, and may be on the hunt for a different set of wheels here soon.
So...are you indicating that the 1.9 wheels included in the kit might actually be "too small"? If so, is a different set of 1.9s in order, or should this have been a 2.2 from the start?

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2019, 09:47 PM   #22
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
So...are you indicating that the 1.9 wheels included in the kit might actually be "too small"? If so, is a different set of 1.9s in order, or should this have been a 2.2 from the start?

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Those are SSD Contenders on the truck, not the plastic kit beadlocks.

I'm sure the provided wheels are fine, but I have no interest in running them myself.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:56 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Those are SSD Contenders on the truck, not the plastic kit beadlocks.

I'm sure the provided wheels are fine, but I have no interest in running them myself.
Neither do I. The best I can tell (again, still anewb), while aluminum wheels increase "rotating mass", they also lower "center of gravity". I've been looking over the various offerings by SSD & Vanquish, but don't know which wheels from each company will work (without "problems") with the Capra. I've got a 'theme' in mind for the finished build, and, as such, the design of the wheel needs to fit the 'theme'...but, workout knowing which wheels will for the Capra, it makes making a decision "difficult" (and, with most aluminum wheels cost approx $100 for a set of 4, I can't afford to test them all).

Old 10-03-2019, 06:50 AM   #24
RCC Addict

Look at SSD wheels. You can get a nice pair for $25-30.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:38 AM   #25
Gold Star Baby!

While the ssd contenders had the slightest rubbing, I’ve confirmed that their steelies clear the portal boxes. I threw one on from another rig to check.

Time to pick up a new set.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:59 AM   #26
RCC Addict

Are you using SSD's included hubs? If so, they're between a .185 and .225, so a .350 hub (or their "+3mm") should have the SSD wheels clearing everything. What's your overall width?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:10 AM   #27
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Are you using SSD's included hubs? If so, they're between a .185 and .225, so a .350 hub (or their "+3mm") should have the SSD wheels clearing everything. What's your overall width?
Using the brass hub up front, which is relatively similar to their stock hub, and stock in back.

I’m trying to not go any wider if I can help it, steelies had a good bit of clearance with the brass hubs as well.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:49 AM   #28

Quote:
Using the brass hub up front, which is relatively similar to their stock hub, and stock in back.

I’m trying to not go any wider if I can help it, steelies had a good bit of clearance with the brass hubs as well.
The black brass hubs that look like drum brakes?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:01 AM   #29
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The black brass hubs that look like drum brakes?
These ones Brass Wheel Hubs (Black)
Old 10-03-2019, 10:12 AM   #30

Quote:
Yep those are the ones I meant. Good to know as I have a set on the way. Thank you.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:29 AM   #31
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Yep those are the ones I meant. Good to know as I have a set on the way. Thank you.
I’m a big fan of these myself. Great price, not too much rotating weight but enough weight to make a difference.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

What ESC did you use? I had intended on using the Mamba X, which is 54.4mm x 32.5mm. Unfortunately, the ESC side of the electronics tray appears to be 48.1mm x 33.4mm. The tray is wide enough for the Mamba X, but it appears to be too short by 6.3mm.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:52 AM   #33
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
What ESC did you use? I had intended on using the Mamba X, which is 54.4mm x 32.5mm. Unfortunately, the ESC side of the electronics tray appears to be 48.1mm x 33.4mm. The tray is wide enough for the Mamba X, but it appears to be too short by 6.3mm.

Hobbywing 1080 for now but a mamba x will be going in eventually. Others have used it, or even an Rx4, and mounted it to the rear bulk head so you should be okay to stick with it.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:06 PM   #34
Gold Star Baby!

Got away for another quick shakedown to make sure the wheels clear fine, plenty of room with the SSD steelies. I have a new set (these were borrowed from the sendero) and some KLR/M’s on the way.

Few clips here. First dig equipped vehicle I’ve had, already finding it useful

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3LcHSIg...d=kgke5hl8q2nj

Last edited by Topher Builds; 10-04-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:45 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Got away for another quick shakedown to make sure the wheels clear fine, plenty of room with the SSD steelies. I have a new set (these were borrowed from the sendero) and some KLR/M’s on the way.
For hubs, which will work better with the Capra - 225 or 350?

Old 10-03-2019, 10:54 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
For hubs, which will work better with the Capra - 225 or 350?

225s will get you the closest to standard AR44 axle width.

Not sure if every wheel will clear with them?
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:08 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
225s will get you the closest to standard AR44 axle width.

Not sure if every wheel will clear with them?
Looking to user the Vanquish Method 105, if that helps. Also, I have a question regarding tires. I typically use Pro-Line tired with my race vehicles, and was planning to do the same here...but, I just realized Vanquish indicates their weeks don't play well with Pro-Line tires. What's up with that? And can anyone recommend some excellent alternatives?

Last edited by Panther6834; 10-04-2019 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:57 AM   #38
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
A couple of other items to mention, the interior decals add nice detail. I painted the base of mine entirely black, then matted it, and am going to go back in later to add some detail to the helmets and jackets, but even in all black it doesn’t look too bad.

Thanks BMow! I think this might be the same orange you use, it’s the Pure Orange Ps-62. I had most of the can left over after using it for stripes on the nod-to-tonka k10. Pic for good measure.
Yes sir, Pure Orange is the color I use! I think this shade of orange looks better than the standard Tamiya orange.

Nice job on the interior! Spraying the matte clear coat looks more realistic and looks much better than the gloss look.

Looks like shakdown #2 was a success! Love how well it climbs over the rocks with ease!

The temptation to buy one is getting harder and harder to fight off!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:18 AM   #39
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Looking to user the Vanquish Method 105, if that helps. Also, I have a question regarding tires. I typically use Pro-Line tired with my race vehicles, and was planning to do the same here...but, I just realized Vanquish indicates their weeks don't play well with Pro-Line tires. What's up with that? And can anyone recommend some excellent alternatives?

Might be a good idea to take the plunge and start a thread about your Capra build so you can keep all your questions and answers in one place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Yes sir, Pure Orange is the color I use! I think this shade of orange looks better than the standard Tamiya orange.

Nice job on the interior! Spraying the matte clear coat looks more realistic and looks much better than the gloss look.

Looks like shakdown #2 was a success! Love how well it climbs over the rocks with ease!

The temptation to buy one is getting harder and harder to fight off!
Thanks BMow! Shakedown 2 went well. I’m itching to get some extended wheel time in.

New wheels and tars should be here Monday so I’m anxiously waiting for them too.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:44 PM   #40
Gold Star Baby!

Got out for shakedown number 3 today. This time I’ve swapped to 90mm springs to try and lower the ride height without losing travel. Everything went well, got a couple clips up on the gram and perhaps a video later.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3P7jIdA...=1ma43smjjzodq

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3P9mGuA...=1depent1giaao
Attached Images

topher builds a Capra - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Capra JatoTheRipper Axial Capra 284 06-03-2021 07:47 AM
topher builds a TRX10.2 Topher Builds Traxxas TRX-4 60 01-05-2021 07:59 PM
Bomber or Capra macman809 Axial RR10 Bomber 54 02-28-2020 03:00 PM
Capra forum? Topher Builds Comments, Suggestions, and Help 14 01-22-2020 10:54 AM
topher goes Full Sendero Topher Builds Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 79 12-20-2019 11:45 AM