Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: topher builds a Capra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2019, 02:51 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: topher builds a Capra

Dang! That thing really is a goat.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2019, 03:55 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

That last pic is particularly nice - the wheels are a good choice, and I like it best with a rounded tire profile as you have it there... stance is perfect!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #43
Gold Star Baby!

New video up on the tube

https://youtu.be/uWuhQ63mRII

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
Dang! That thing really is a goat.

It’s been a blast to drive so far. Just need to get a revolver in it soon for a bit more throttle control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
That last pic is particularly nice - the wheels are a good choice, and I like it best with a rounded tire profile as you have it there... stance is perfect!
Hey thanks Durok. I’m happy with how it sits with the 90mm springs as well. The BFG Krawlers and 8 hole steelies were borrowed off the sendero since the contenders I had didn’t clear enough. I have some black 5 slots and KLR/m’s on the way but this current set up has been great, the krawlers are growing on me.
Attached Images

Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:12 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Awesome video. I don't think there isn't any place where this thing WON'T go. Have you had the opportunity to try out the Dig yet? If so oh, how do you like it?

MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:38 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
It’s been a blast to drive so far. Just need to get a revolver in it soon for a bit more throttle control.

Hey thanks Durok. I’m happy with how it sits with the 90mm springs as well. The BFG Krawlers and 8 hole steelies were borrowed off the sendero since the contenders I had didn’t clear enough. I have some black 5 slots and KLR/m’s on the way but this current set up has been great, the krawlers are growing on me.
Hah! with black wheels and a Revolver, it'll be like a (ducks and covers...) little brother to my Bomber!

(that comparison is technically inaccurate, I know - only purely superficially similar)
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:43 PM   #46

I got a chance to get mine on the rocks today and it blew me away. It did anything I wanted, by far the most impressive rc I own!
honda3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:06 PM   #47
Go Buckeyes!

Hey TB, responding to your post in Jato’s Capra build. (I didn’t want to clog up his thread with my ramblings!)

I was at my local Hobbytown this past Saturday. I had the Capra in my hand and headed to the checkout, then my phone rang. It was the wife. I got spooked and put the Capra back on the shelf!

I am getting closer to getting one!

It’s been fun watching all the awesome builds you guys have going on right now and I have been taking notes!

Anyways, I’m lovin your last round of pics and videos! That “goat” can climb!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:23 AM   #48
Gold Star Baby!

New set of wheels and tires are on the Capra. The chrome 8 holes and BFG krawlers were borrowed from the sendero, I was really impressed by the krawlers on this rig. Interested in seeing how these KLR/Ms compare when broken in.

1.9 voodoo KLR/M in red compound
1.9 voodoo 3 stage foams (sub 10)
1.9 ssd 5 slots

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
Awesome video. I don't think there isn't any place where this thing WON'T go. Have you had the opportunity to try out the Dig yet? If so oh, how do you like it?

Thanks Max! I enjoy using the dig, although it’s new to me so there are likely times when I could benefit from it but it doesn’t cross my mind. I’m happy it is there, great feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Hah! with black wheels and a Revolver, it'll be like a (ducks and covers...) little brother to my Bomber!

(that comparison is technically inaccurate, I know - only purely superficially similar)
It’s hard to ignore the visual similarities when these “have their clothes on”. A revolver in a bomber sounds like a hoot. Looking forward to getting one in here in the next month or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda3 View Post
I got a chance to get mine on the rocks today and it blew me away. It did anything I wanted, by far the most impressive rc I own!
Right on! Glad to hear you’re enjoying yours as much as I am. Once it’s tuned a bit it’s a very impressive rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Hey TB, responding to your post in Jato’s Capra build. (I didn’t want to clog up his thread with my ramblings!)

I was at my local Hobbytown this past Saturday. I had the Capra in my hand and headed to the checkout, then my phone rang. It was the wife. I got spooked and put the Capra back on the shelf!

I am getting closer to getting one!

It’s been fun watching all the awesome builds you guys have going on right now and I have been taking notes!

Anyways, I’m lovin your last round of pics and videos! That “goat” can climb!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Your paint scheme would look absolutely slick on one of these too. Too funny about the timely phone call from the wife. Did you get to handle a built one at the LHS?
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2019, 09:51 AM   #49
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
New set of wheels and tires are on the Capra. The chrome 8 holes and BFG krawlers were borrowed from the sendero, I was really impressed by the krawlers on this rig. Interested in seeing how these KLR/Ms compare when broken in.

Your paint scheme would look absolutely slick on one of these too. Too funny about the timely phone call from the wife. Did you get to handle a built one at the LHS?
I'm really digging the wheel and tire combo! I do not have a set of them KLR/M's yet, so I too am curious to see & hear how they compare.

My LHS only had two kits in stock and they did not have one built for display. Without seeing or holding one in person, I kinda get the feeling that the Capra is somewhat like a shrunken down Bomber. I thought about getting a Bomber when they first came out because of their looks and how they performed, but I never hit the "buy" button on one and I didn't really want another 2.2 rig. The Capra with the 1.9's is really more of what I am looking for that keeps the looks of the Bomber, but is smaller in size.

That was my thought too about the paint scheme and it just so happens that I have a few cans of each color left! I also tossed the idea around about painting the cage to go with the color scheme. Not sure though how bad it would look when the paint gets scraped off of the cage. I don't know, I figure that out when the Capra finally ends up on my workbench!

Looking forward to hearing how the KLR's do!
B-MOW71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:39 PM   #50
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I'm really digging the wheel and tire combo! I do not have a set of them KLR/M's yet, so I too am curious to see & hear how they compare.

My LHS only had two kits in stock and they did not have one built for display. Without seeing or holding one in person, I kinda get the feeling that the Capra is somewhat like a shrunken down Bomber. I thought about getting a Bomber when they first came out because of their looks and how they performed, but I never hit the "buy" button on one and I didn't really want another 2.2 rig. The Capra with the 1.9's is really more of what I am looking for that keeps the looks of the Bomber, but is smaller in size.

That was my thought too about the paint scheme and it just so happens that I have a few cans of each color left! I also tossed the idea around about painting the cage to go with the color scheme. Not sure though how bad it would look when the paint gets scraped off of the cage. I don't know, I figure that out when the Capra finally ends up on my workbench!

Looking forward to hearing how the KLR's do!
So did ya get one yet?

Also, Las Vegas Scale Nationals going down next year in Logandale! (Valley of Fire) it’s about 45 min out of Vegas. if you or any of y’all around here need an excuse to head this way this event is as good as any. I’d rec coming a day early or stay a day late to get some wheeling in over in the usual Vegas spots.

This video here is from Logandale. Absolutely loved it out there.

https://youtu.be/UBlYRUy--Jc

Thread: 2020 Las Vegas Scale Nationals
Old 10-10-2019, 07:43 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Ugh, I officially have a what to build next problem. Capra is looking good!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:52 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Also, Las Vegas Scale Nationals going down next year in Logandale! (Valley of Fire) it’s about 45 min out of Vegas. if you or any of y’all around here need an excuse to head this way this event is as good as any. I’d rec coming a day early or stay a day late to get some wheeling in over in the usual Vegas spots.
While I'm new to crawling, I had already taken notice of this (yesterday), and am considering the possibility. Besides, when my parents retired 8yrs ago, they moved to Vegas (from CA), so any 'excuse' to head that way is a good excuse...it's a free place to stay, plus, being in North Las Vegas, I'd be even closer (than those staying near The Strip).

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:16 PM   #53
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Ugh, I officially have a what to build next problem. Capra is looking good!
A Soze goat build? I like the sounds of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
While I'm new to crawling, I had already taken notice of this (yesterday), and am considering the possibility. Besides, when my parents retired 8yrs ago, they moved to Vegas (from CA), so any 'excuse' to head that way is a good excuse...it's a free place to stay, plus, being in North Las Vegas, I'd be even closer (than those staying near The Strip).

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Hey that’s a plan right there. If you’re ever around just visiting any time feel free to holler and we can go do some wheeling.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:27 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hey that’s a plan right there. If you’re ever around just visiting any time feel free to holler and we can go do some wheeling.
Will keep that in mind. I do plan on being down there Thanksgiving week. That gives me approx 6.5 weeks to completely finish my Capra.

As for my second crawler (which I'm certain won't be built by them...heck, I might not have even bought the kit by them), I've decided on the Vanquish VS4-10 Pro. I have absolutely no clue what I'll build it up to be, but I've got plenty of time to think about it.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:21 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Looking better every time I see it. 👍🏼

I’m tempted to pick up a set of VooDoo’s, but I already have a tire/wheel addiction. 🤪

Current tire choices for the HOG!😲

dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:45 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Current tire choices for the HOG!

Wheels, second from the left. Tires, Pro-Line (second from the right).

Old 10-10-2019, 11:08 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Wheels, second from the left. Tires, Pro-Line (second from the right).

Injora wheels off of eBay.

Tires are 4.75 Hyrax(Predator).
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:04 AM   #58
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Injora wheels off of eBay.

Tires are 4.75 Hyrax(Predator).
That's the exact combo I have on mine at the moment.

GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:36 AM   #59
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Will keep that in mind. I do plan on being down there Thanksgiving week. That gives me approx 6.5 weeks to completely finish my Capra.

As for my second crawler (which I'm certain won't be built by them...heck, I might not have even bought the kit by them), I've decided on the Vanquish VS4-10 Pro. I have absolutely no clue what I'll build it up to be, but I've got plenty of time to think about it.

If those will be your first two crawlers ever you’re off to a heck of a start.

Quote:
Looking better every time I see it. 👍🏼

I’m tempted to pick up a set of VooDoo’s, but I already have a tire/wheel addiction. 🤪

Current tire choices for the HOG!😲

That’s a good problem to have right there! Nice collection.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:48 AM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

That’s a good problem to have right there! Nice collection.
Quote:
Thanks. For the Capra, the moment I found out about it, I knew it would be a great first crawler kit. I MUCH prefer kits over RTRs...other than my three Traxxas vehicles (2 of which were actually purchased as 'rollers' from an RC chop shop), all other vehicles have been kits.

As for the VS4-10 Pro, I've been doing a considerable amount of research (something I tend to be quite good, and fairly thorough, at), I had decided on the SCX10 II platform, but I really didn't care for the original, which led me to the SSD Trail King. While it did appear to be a fairly decent "improvement" over Axial's offering, I still wasn't impressed. Obviously, there are quite a few improvements...just not enough for me. Through further searching, I came across the VS4-10 Origin, which has been discontinued...and replaced with the even-better VS4-10 Pro. Michael even gave me a call Wednesday morning, going over certain aspects of the kit, how it's improved way beyond the product it's based on, and how the improvements over the 'Origin' make it even better. Needless to say, I was impressed...by the detail, as well as him calling me.

But, before I can even think about ordering the VS4-10, I need to finish the Capra. Electronics are installed, Rx is linked to the 7PX, and the ESC is calibrated. Just need to finish my "special" interior, get the body panels painted (which I can't do until some certain custom decals arrive), install the interior & panels, and bolt up the tires/wheels (for which I'm also awaiting delivery of the wheels). Final steps will be setting the steering servo end-points, programming the settings for the DIG servo, and properly setting the sub-trim. I won't be able to program the throttle curve until I get the Capra "in the field".

topher builds a Capra - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Capra JatoTheRipper Axial Capra 284 06-03-2021 07:47 AM
topher builds a TRX10.2 Topher Builds Traxxas TRX-4 60 01-05-2021 07:59 PM
Bomber or Capra macman809 Axial RR10 Bomber 54 02-28-2020 03:00 PM
Capra forum? Topher Builds Comments, Suggestions, and Help 14 01-22-2020 10:54 AM
topher goes Full Sendero Topher Builds Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 79 12-20-2019 11:45 AM