Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: topher builds a Capra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2019, 09:29 AM   #61
Go Buckeyes!

Default Re: topher builds a Capra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
So did ya get one yet?

Also, Las Vegas Scale Nationals going down next year in Logandale! (Valley of Fire) it’s about 45 min out of Vegas. if you or any of y’all around here need an excuse to head this way this event is as good as any. I’d rec coming a day early or stay a day late to get some wheeling in over in the usual Vegas spots.

This video here is from Logandale. Absolutely loved it out there.

https://youtu.be/UBlYRUy--Jc

Thread: 2020 Las Vegas Scale Nationals
Soon...real soon! I'm hoping to pick one up in a week or two!

I do have the first round of parts for the "future" Capra arriving tomorrow!

Man, that Valley of Fire looks like a ton of fun! I added it to my "need to go places"! I don't know if I will make it though, so looking forward to seeing all of the awesome pics & videos!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2019, 10:26 AM   #62
Quarry Creeper

Great build thread! Lots of good tips! Just saw your video on YT!
twisted concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:16 AM   #63

Quote:

5. I picked up the SSD AR44 overdrive gear set with the intention on using it in the front axle of the Capra. It was not the best fit, I ended up having to use the stock pinion gear to get a mesh where the truck would roll freely. I'm not sure this is going to be viable long term but want to try it out on the rocks before going back to the stock gears. I'm unsure if this fitment issue is unique to the SSD gear, and may swap either the boom racing or the HR gears in down the road to see if there's a better fit.

Topher, what is your impressions so far with the over drive gears? Are you still using the SSD overdrive? What about the Boom racing overdrive for ar44? I want to purchase one of the 2 but will wait for your input

Last edited by Veygr; 10-23-2019 at 05:27 AM.
Veygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:35 AM   #64
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted concept View Post
Great build thread! Lots of good tips! Just saw your video on YT!
Hey thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veygr View Post

Topher, what is your impressions so far with the over drive gears? Are you still using the SSD overdrive? What about the Boom racing overdrive for ar44? I want to purchase one of the 2 but will wait for your input
A little bit of a loaded question here since technically none of those gear sets are advertised to work with the Capra. However, I have been using the ssd OD ring gear along with the stock Capra pinion gear and was able to get a good mesh with some shimming that hasn’t caused any issues.

I’ve not tried the boom racing or the HR sets in the Capra but I do have each in other rigs and neither has failed. Iirc the HR gears only have 3 holes whereas the locker for the Capra has 6 but they should line up. The boom racing gears come with a keyed locker which I’m not sure fits the Capra, it likely will, but I’m not aware of anyone that’s tried those yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Soon...real soon! I'm hoping to pick one up in a week or two!

I do have the first round of parts for the "future" Capra arriving tomorrow!

Man, that Valley of Fire looks like a ton of fun! I added it to my "need to go places"! I don't know if I will make it though, so looking forward to seeing all of the awesome pics & videos!
Awesome B! Excited for that build thread.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:13 AM   #65

Quote:

A little bit of a loaded question here since technically none of those gear sets are advertised to work with the Capra. However, I have been using the ssd OD ring gear along with the stock Capra pinion gear and was able to get a good mesh with some shimming that hasn’t caused any issues.

I’ve not tried the boom racing or the HR sets in the Capra but I do have each in other rigs and neither has failed. Iirc the HR gears only have 3 holes whereas the locker for the Capra has 6 but they should line up. The boom racing gears come with a keyed locker which I’m not sure fits the Capra, it likely will, but I’m not aware of anyone that’s tried those yet.

Thank you for the information.
I know they are not designed for the Capra. Its on my head

Thank you also for the nice thread and excellent pictures. Do share more when you have
Old 10-24-2019, 11:04 AM   #66
Rock Stacker

Excellent thread topher. Cannot wait for your next update.

For myself, I typically climb slick rock and sandstone in and around the Sierra Nevadas. Most conditions are high traction...To say the least. For batteries, I am alternating between my Protek 3S 4100 and Helios 3S 1500 packs. Plus of the larger 4100 pack is that it adds weight to the front (for uphilling) with a downside of the added weight being a tad high (for sidehilling). Hoping to see some brass weighted portals componentry for the Capra soon.

Would you mind going through your thoughts on batteries?

Last edited by Still Bill; 10-24-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:34 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
This video here is from Logandale. Absolutely loved it out there.

https://youtu.be/UBlYRUy--Jc

Thread: 2020 Las Vegas Scale Nationals
Sweet video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Ugh, I officially have a what to build next problem. Capra is looking good!
Not a problem, just build it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Looking better every time I see it.

Current tire choices for the HOG!😲
Yep.

Second from left with the RC4WD Wranglers for tire'/wheel win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
...For batteries, I am alternating between my Protek 3S 4100 and Helios 3S 1500 packs. Plus of the larger 4100 pack is that it adds weight to the front (for uphilling) with a downside of the added weight being a tad high (for sidehilling). Hoping to see some brass weighted portals componentry for the Capra soon.

Protek 3S 4100 nice compact, high mah and 3S, what I currently run in all my cralwers! However for best performance it's hard to beat 3s packs around 1500-1300mah!

Brass is over-rated and used in excess these days as a bandaid to proper rig setup, a little goes a long way to fine tune it though.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:03 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post

Brass is over-rated and used in excess these days as a bandaid to proper rig setup, a little goes a long way to fine tune it though.

I agree.

I see some of these guys on Bookface with literally 10 lbs of brass on their rigs and I just roll my eyes and laugh. 🤣
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:15 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
I agree.

I see some of these guys on Bookface with literally 10 lbs of brass on their rigs and I just roll my eyes and laugh. 🤣
The scale guys go goofy with brass. Brass out at the ends of the axle is more beneficial than anywhere else on a rig. Not servo/bumper mounts, link mounts, links etc. Shit is crazy these days.

There is 1/4 lb brass portal covers and tungsten hangers arriving tomorrow for my capra. I can add 1/2 lb in tungsten if desired but I doubt I'll need it since it's all below the axle centerline.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:27 AM   #70
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Topher - do you happen to remember how many shims you needed? My set of SSD gears showed up last night but it'll be Monday before I can get them installed.

Thanks in advance!
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:41 AM   #71
RCC Addict

As another point of reference, I ended up using either 1 or 2, 7mm i.d. x 0.1mm shims to push the spool/ring gear away from the pinion, no shims on the pinion. It was still tight at the time of install, but I took the driveshaft off a couple days ago to see how the SSD OD gears were doing and (after a few dozen packs) the front end now spins nice and freely with no excess play.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:14 AM   #72
Quarry Creeper

Thanks!! I'll see what the LHS has in stock before I open it up to install them.
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:33 AM   #73
Gold Star Baby!

My brother was in town for the last few days so we got out to play with the tiny trucks. Clip below, more scenic than technical, and some pics.

Quote:
Thank you for the information.
I know they are not designed for the Capra. Its on my head

Thank you also for the nice thread and excellent pictures. Do share more when you have
No problem and thanks!

Quote:
Excellent thread topher. Cannot wait for your next update.

For myself, I typically climb slick rock and sandstone in and around the Sierra Nevadas. Most conditions are high traction...To say the least. For batteries, I am alternating between my Protek 3S 4100 and Helios 3S 1500 packs. Plus of the larger 4100 pack is that it adds weight to the front (for uphilling) with a downside of the added weight being a tad high (for sidehilling). Hoping to see some brass weighted portals componentry for the Capra soon.

Agreed with Natedogg here. 4100 will fit but I get plenty off run time between 1500-2200mah batteries so I opt for those in general for the weight savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashlee View Post
Topher - do you happen to remember how many shims you needed? My set of SSD gears showed up last night but it'll be Monday before I can get them installed.

Thanks in advance!
I don’t recall, it wasn’t many though only one maybe 2. What J said sounds about right. J, good to know about the wear too. I feel like mine has only gotten smoother since the first pack as well.
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2019, 11:46 AM   #74
Rock Stacker

Red Rocks is beautiful! Have to get back there in 2020.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:05 PM   #75

Thanks so much for the this. The shift fork was really messing with me. Excellent job!!

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
Spindctr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:07 PM   #76
Gold Star Baby!

Got back out with the goat and a little different set up. Stuck with the 90mm shocks and changed to a more firm rear spring as well as adding vp 2.2 steel disc weights up front for some extra weight.

It climbed a bit better but I don’t like all the rotating weight so I’ll swap it out when some axle weight is available.

Electronics are still underwhelming me so I’m going to swap those out next.

Quote:
Red Rocks is beautiful! Have to get back there in 2020.
It sure is, holler if you do Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindctr View Post
Thanks so much for the this. The shift fork was really messing with me. Excellent job!!

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
Hey no problem, glad you found something useful in here and thanks for the read
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2019, 07:25 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Got back out with the goat and a little different set up. Stuck with the 90mm shocks and changed to a more firm rear spring as well as adding vp 2.2 steel disc weights up front for some extra weight.

It climbed a bit better but I don’t like all the rotating weight so I’ll swap it out when some axle weight is available.
SSD has portal weights that work with their front & rear SCX10/SCX10.2 portal conversion...so, here's an idea I'm toying with. Start with the Vanquish F9 (one-piece, machined), and grind the pannard mount off the front. Then, add the SSD portal upgrade, the Vanquish axle servo mount, SCX10 steering links, bearings, and you're almost ready to go...only thing (I can think of) that's remaining are the gears of your choice (OEM Axial, SSD, Vanquish, etc).

I realize, as many have pointed out in the various Capra threads, that the AR44 axles are narrower (by slightly more than an inch) than the stock Capra axles...but, the AR44 axles w/ portals is just under 1/2" wider than the stock SCX10 axles. Add wider hexes, and you're almost to the same width as the Capra axles. The way I see it, this setup would lower the COG...plus, adding the SSD portal weights increases the front weight, without increasing rotating mass.

Thoughts?

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:18 AM   #78

Update on the Over drive gears. I installed and tested the Boom racing keyed ar44 over drive gear and locker (Asiatees). It fit perfect in place of the stock gear and locker of the Capra. There are shims provided with the gears, but did not add any. Everything rotate smoothly.
Just a FYI if anybody looks for Over drive gears.
Now will watch the new video of Topher.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:53 PM   #79
Gold Star Baby!

After kicking around the idea of going brushless, and talking with a few of you here about brushed motors, I decided to go for upgrading from the reedy Radeon 2 five slot to a Holmes hobbies crawlmaster expert 16t.

Got it installed tonight and am quite happy after a quick living room test. My biggest complaint about the reedy was the drag brake and secondarily the torque wasn’t what I was used to. Looking forward to trying it out on some rocks and seeing the improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
SSD has portal weights that work with their front & rear SCX10/SCX10.2 portal conversion...so, here's an idea I'm toying with. Start with the Vanquish F9 (one-piece, machined), and grind the pannard mount off the front. Then, add the SSD portal upgrade, the Vanquish axle servo mount, SCX10 steering links, bearings, and you're almost ready to go...only thing (I can think of) that's remaining are the gears of your choice (OEM Axial, SSD, Vanquish, etc).

I realize, as many have pointed out in the various Capra threads, that the AR44 axles are narrower (by slightly more than an inch) than the stock Capra axles...but, the AR44 axles w/ portals is just under 1/2" wider than the stock SCX10 axles. Add wider hexes, and you're almost to the same width as the Capra axles. The way I see it, this setup would lower the COG...plus, adding the SSD portal weights increases the front weight, without increasing rotating mass.

Thoughts?

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
You’d probably need to tweak the links a good bit to make it work but it could be doable. If you’re going to do all of that just for weight then it may be worth waiting another month or so as I’d be surprised if we didn’t start seeing Capra specific brass options coming out.

Quote:
Update on the Over drive gears. I installed and tested the Boom racing keyed ar44 over drive gear and locker (Asiatees). It fit perfect in place of the stock gear and locker of the Capra. There are shims provided with the gears, but did not add any. Everything rotate smoothly.
Just a FYI if anybody looks for Over drive gears.
Now will watch the new video of Topher.
Good to know! The ssd OD ring gear with the stock pinion has warn in well thankfully but it’s nice to know those worked out for you.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2019, 01:02 AM   #80
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You’d probably need to tweak the links a good bit to make it work but it could be doable. If you’re going to do all of that just for weight then it may be worth waiting another month or so as I’d be surprised if we didn’t start seeing Capra specific brass options coming out.
I understand your point, but the 2nd Capra I'm actually intending to a "hybrid"...some Capra parts, some SCX10.2 parts, some Wraith 1.9 parts. You might even think of it as a "Frankenstein Capra". It'll be a good 4-6 months before I actually start the build...I'm just putting the finishing touches on the 1st Capra, after which I'll either be building the TF2, or VS4-10 (depends which I receive first). I'm in no rush.....

Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote

topher builds a Capra - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Capra JatoTheRipper Axial Capra 284 06-03-2021 07:47 AM
topher builds a TRX10.2 Topher Builds Traxxas TRX-4 60 01-05-2021 07:59 PM
Bomber or Capra macman809 Axial RR10 Bomber 54 02-28-2020 03:00 PM
Capra forum? Topher Builds Comments, Suggestions, and Help 14 01-22-2020 10:54 AM
topher goes Full Sendero Topher Builds Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 79 12-20-2019 11:45 AM