Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: topher builds a Capra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2019, 11:11 AM   #1
Gold Star Baby!

Default topher builds a Capra

Time to get this build thread going. Originally, I was going to wait before grabbing a Capra. After seeing videos, and reading more about the updated materials and the design of the rig, I decided to back burner another project (sorry GC4) and go for the Capra.

As we're all aware now, there are a few obstacles with this first batch of instructions. Some of them are pretty simple to figure out, while others take a little head scratching and disregard for the instructions. Issues I encountered are below.

1. The rear axle no-bearing bearing-retainer slot. There's a recess in the rear axle where the shaft comes out of the housing, which perfectly fits a bearing however no bearing is intended to go there. If you install a bearing, you'll be unable to button up the portal box. Directions are accurate here, intuition can lead you astray.

2. In this first run, the hardware is not a 1:1 scale in the manual. Make sure you measure twice when picking out your hardware and links.

3. The instructions are misleading for the top shaft of the transmission. The diagram appears as though the shaft should be inserted from what would be the inner part of the transmission. However it should be inserted from the outter part, and seated into a bearing. Then the pin goes on, then the gear, then another bearing. First 3 Pics below.

4. When assembling the Dig, the manual advises to use a spacer for full time 4WD, however it does not clearly identify the spacer. Pic below to circle the plastic spacer.

4A. The order of the Dig components is not clear in the guide, the horseshoe piece goes on first, then the clip, then the spacer (if applicable). Pic below.

5. I picked up the SSD AR44 overdrive gear set with the intention on using it in the front axle of the Capra. It was not the best fit, I ended up having to use the stock pinion gear to get a mesh where the truck would roll freely. I'm not sure this is going to be viable long term but want to try it out on the rocks before going back to the stock gears. I'm unsure if this fitment issue is unique to the SSD gear, and may swap either the boom racing or the HR gears in down the road to see if there's a better fit.

6. Some of the shock internals had a little bit of parts tree plastic left over, had to clean those up before building the shocks fully.

Okay, that's it for obstacles. Now for overall build impressions.

- Materials feel much better than the previous axial offerings. The links and rod ends are the stand outs. The plastics feel better in hand, but those need to survive in the wild to be a success. Shocks also feel very good, smooth action and no issues with the install. Two O rings in the lower cap seal and one larger O ring up top. I’m using the soft springs and a 20wt losi shock oil.

- The cage was a lot wrenching to put together, probably the least fun piece. Seems sturdy enough out of the box.

- The dig wasn't too hard to set up, took me a bit to get the end points adjusted accordingly but once it was set everything works smoothly.

- Needed servo extensions for both the micro servo and the steering servo to reach the receiver box in back. A little worried about the waterproof aspect, or lack thereof, for this receiver box, but I don't plan on getting this truck wet so not a huge deal. Unless I missed it, there were not gaskets for the lid of the box, nor the area where the wires feed in.

- Steering seems pretty good out of the box!

- Interior lexan feels nice and sturdy, haven't gotten around to paint yet, more on that later.

- Start to finish it took me about 9 hours, with setting up electronics, and some breaks in between. Fairly straight forward build overall.

- My biggest worry about anything mechanical is the portal box covers, there just isn't much plastic around the 4 screws that mount the cover. Will see how it holds up.

That's about it for now. Hoping to slap some paint on it today and have some hands on wheel experience to share later this week.
Attached Images

Last edited by Topher Builds; 10-01-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2019, 02:31 PM   #2
Go Buckeyes!

Default Re: topher builds a Capra

"Liked" and subscribed!

Great right up so far. Nice that you listed all the issues with the manual and pointed out what to watch out for.

The Capra looks like it will be a fun rig to wheel on the rocks. Glad to hear Axial has listened and fixed some of the issues like the plastics, rod ends and shocks.

I'm trying to hold off on getting the Capra until these are out and about for awhile, but I'm sure after reading yours and others build threads I'm going to be "peer pressured" into getting one! There are so many cool rigs that have come out this year (and I'm sure more to come) that it's getting really hard to not hit the "buy" button each time one is released!

Can't wait to see the body panels painted and some action shots out on the rocks!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:36 PM   #3
RCC Addict

SUBSCRIBED!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:52 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Subscribed.. ordering one as my bday gift to myself at the end of the month
BCCrawlerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:02 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for all the info...subscribed.

Got a few questions (actually, have quite a few, but I'll hold it to just these...for now).

1) Did you use 20wt oil front & rear, or was that just the front (or rear)? If either was different, what did you use there?
2) What kV (or turn) motor did you use?
3) Can you measure, and share, what the maximum length for a motor can (that will fit without the rear touching)?
4) Is the clearance between the portals & 1.9 wheels truly enough...or, should 2.2s be considered?

Thanks, in advance, for any "assistance" you can give this newb.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:37 PM   #6
Gold Star Baby!

Thanks dudes! BCCrawlerz happy early birthday buddy.

BMow I agree, this year has been brutal in the best ways possible. Still need to get my hands on a trail king and a vspro but I’ll need a second job to do that

If you do end up with a Capra I don’t think you’ll be disappointed, for the price of the kit it’s pretty stellar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Thanks for all the info...subscribed.

Got a few questions (actually, have quite a few, but I'll hold it to just these...for now).

1) Did you use 20wt oil front & rear, or was that just the front (or rear)? If either was different, what did you use there?
2) What kV (or turn) motor did you use?
3) Can you measure, and share, what the maximum length for a motor can (that will fit without the rear touching)?
4) Is the clearance between the portals & 1.9 wheels truly enough...or, should 2.2s be considered?

Thanks, in advance, for any "assistance" you can give this newb.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
1.) I put 20wt in both front and rear, not really any rhyme or reason other than it felt good when I was building the shocks. I usually end up changing oils a couple times before I settle on one set up so tbd where it ends up.

2.) Running a Reedy 16t 5 slot brushed motor. I picked this one up mostly because I had a Hobbywing 1080 on hand, will likely go brushless in the future if I like this rig as much as I think I may

3.) it’s all buttoned up now, sorry. However, unless you shave the rear raised link mount off I think you’ll likely need to stick with a 540 can. Without the link mount, there’s quite a bit of room.

4.) I have 1.9 ssd contenders on now and it’s tight at the top of the knuckle. Maybe a couple mm of clearance. Here’s a pic of the rear, messed with the lighting a little to try and make the clearance more visible, as you can see it’s close.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2019, 04:23 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the info. Think I might try 25 front / 20 rear. For motor, I've Ben trying to decide between the ROC412 & HH PP Standard...leaning towards the HH, but worried it might be too long (60.5mm...slightly longer than most 549s). As for wheels, guess I'll just have to "play it by ear".

Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:23 PM   #8
Gold Star Baby!

Annnd all done

She’s flexy!
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2019, 05:40 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Thats purdiful danza! Cant wait to see how it does out on the rocks

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:00 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

The grey wheel centers match the rod-ends!

Sweet build, my man...

Enjoy
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:37 PM   #11
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Thats purdiful danza! Cant wait to see how it does out on the rocks

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
Thanks Bama! I’m excited to drive it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
The grey wheel centers match the rod-ends!

Sweet build, my man...

Enjoy
Haha love your attention to detail Durok, just threw up a post in the “unofficial portal buggy” thread which you may be interested in.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:26 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Looks great and really like your paint job!!! Can't wait for some video of this out in the wild!! Great job!!!
bikepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:15 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I don't need another crawler but all of these builds make me want to buy one! I'm finally getting to a point I think the Enduro may be good enough that a new project is in need...
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:40 PM   #14
Slow is the new Fast

Thanks for posting up your goat TB! She looks ready to climb
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:31 AM   #15
Go Buckeyes!

Beautiful! Great color choice!

I'm a sucker for orange, as you can tell from most of my rigs!

Capra's gonna look awesome out on them red rocks!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:01 AM   #16
Gold Star Baby!

A couple of other items to mention, the interior decals add nice detail. I painted the base of mine entirely black, then matted it, and am going to go back in later to add some detail to the helmets and jackets, but even in all black it doesn’t look too bad.

I’m able to stuff this 2200mah 3s pack into the tray. It’s a very tight fit, but it fits. The website says it’s 107mm but the packs I have in hand measure a little bit shorter.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-co...lipo-pack.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepilot View Post
Looks great and really like your paint job!!! Can't wait for some video of this out in the wild!! Great job!!!
Thanks! Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashlee View Post
I don't need another crawler but all of these builds make me want to buy one! I'm finally getting to a point I think the Enduro may be good enough that a new project is in need...
This year the FOMO has been non-stop. So many cool rigs released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Thanks for posting up your goat TB! She looks ready to climb
No prob smog

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Beautiful! Great color choice!

I'm a sucker for orange, as you can tell from most of my rigs!

Capra's gonna look awesome out on them red rocks!
Thanks BMow! I think this might be the same orange you use, it’s the Pure Orange Ps-62. I had most of the can left over after using it for stripes on the nod-to-tonka k10. Pic for good measure.
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2019, 10:26 AM   #17

Good write up. I guessed when building the dig as it's not something I had done before. But I understood the purpose of a shift fork so that made it easier to know where to put it on the shaft and hold it there with the C-clip. It also made me assume the spacer wouldn't be needed. That and the top shaft are spots that I can see stopping newbies dead in their tracks. Other than that it wasn't too bad.

The truck looks great.

How difficult is it to put those batteries into place? Do you have to force them in or do they drop in freely?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:48 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Looks good do the shocks seem better quality than the ol icons?
distinctive pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #19
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Good write up. I guessed when building the dig as it's not something I had done before. But I understood the purpose of a shift fork so that made it easier to know where to put it on the shaft and hold it there with the C-clip. It also made me assume the spacer wouldn't be needed. That and the top shaft are spots that I can see stopping newbies dead in their tracks. Other than that it wasn't too bad.

The truck looks great.

How difficult is it to put those batteries into place? Do you have to force them in or do they drop in freely?
It takes some pressure to get them in, snug fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by distinctive pd View Post
Looks good do the shocks seem better quality than the ol icons?
Definitely. Haven’t had the chance to beat on them yet but so far so good.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:19 PM   #20
Gold Star Baby!

Tried to get out for a shakedown today but it was cut short after realizing there isn’t enough clearance with the wheels. They spin but once on the trail they were causing drag and even binding up when on obstacles. The motor got hot quick so I headed home to trouble shoot.

After targeting the issue at the wheels I took out the dremel to make a little room, and may be on the hunt for a different set of wheels here soon.

It did make easy work of this part that’s a little challenge for a straight axle scaled.

Attached Images

topher builds a Capra - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Capra JatoTheRipper Axial Capra 284 06-03-2021 07:47 AM
topher builds a TRX10.2 Topher Builds Traxxas TRX-4 60 01-05-2021 07:59 PM
Bomber or Capra macman809 Axial RR10 Bomber 54 02-28-2020 03:00 PM
Capra forum? Topher Builds Comments, Suggestions, and Help 14 01-22-2020 10:54 AM
topher goes Full Sendero Topher Builds Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 79 12-20-2019 11:45 AM