Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Anyone ever having binding issues in the front?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2021, 01:04 PM   #1

Default Anyone ever having binding issues in the front?

Has anyone ever had any binding issues in the front of their capra? I can only flex my front suspension about half way before it lifts the truck. I took out the pen springs i had in it to eliminate the possibility that the internal spring was causing issues but that wasn't it. Even with the pen spring and the bottom shock cap off it still didn't put any droop in the spring. I suspect binding somewhere but i have no idea.

Rtr stock shocks with red springs 45k oil, 540 axe system 2100kv, no dig servo. I can force the suspension to compress but it takes enough force that it forces the belly and cage to flex a little. I will take the whole thing apart tonight but curious if anyone has any ideas.

This is as far as the shock travels under its own weight and without bottom shock caps.

This is the bottom if this helps anyone see anything i don't.
svrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2021, 03:02 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Anyone ever having binding issues in the front?

Bent shock shafts? Do the axles go through full travel if the shocks are disconnected?
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 03:05 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Axial spring rates from a post way back. These could be from Wraith shocks as they are mentioned in the post.

AX30222 Blue 3.55
AX30221 Yellow 3.27
AX30220 Green 2.85
AX30219 White 2.47
AX30218 Red 2.07
AX30225 Orange 1.75
AX30224 Purple 1.43
AX30223 Black 1.07

You might want to consider trying the black 1.07 or purple 1.43. With a battery mounted forward, seems like the most common combo was purple up front and black in the rear.

Losi gold springs work great for me on my Wraith but they have been discontinued. I've switched to Axial black now. I usually run 10W or 20W shock oil with these springs. My Wraith is used exclusively for trailing and rock crawling.

Don't have a Capra but I'm still thinking the lighter spring rate would help you.

One more thought. If the shock is overfilled with oil, the piston will not travel to the very top of the shock. The reason is, above the piston there is no shaft taking up space like where the shock shaft is below the piston. It's all about volume. You can't displace all the oil above the piston in to the area below the piston. Try taking the top cap off, push the piston to the top of the shock cylinder and see if you have oil overflowing from the top. Once the piston is at the top, put the cap on, and then cycle the piston rod up and down. If the travel up is greater than it was before, then the shock was overfilled with oil. Hope this makes sense to you.

Last edited by nightcrawler48; 03-31-2021 at 03:18 PM.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 03:08 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Easy way to tell, unbolt top or bottom of shock, one at a time. You cant test chassis flex and also see if the sock is binding.
Bansh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 04:05 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Spektrum Radio?
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:28 PM   #6

Thank you for all the replies; i had before making this post pulled off my shocks and tested them. The axles did seem to move freely with the shocks off. However, i did notice the pinion cover is right up against and touching the posts that the upper link mount to. I know the back of my axe motor sits on the rear upper link mount. So while at work i realized it may be causing the interference. I will have to check tonight when i disassemble it again. May have to clearance it so the motor fits in better. If that is not the issue i do not know what else it would be
Old 03-31-2021, 11:38 PM   #7

I figured out the issue.. my front drive shaft bottoms out before it reaches full travel. So i need to figure out a solution. I bought this capra used recently so maybe he put in the wrong center piece
Old 04-01-2021, 09:13 AM   #8

I found out my driveshaft on both sides were limited by the middle shaft in the drive line. In the front i stretched it with longer rod ends and the rear i had a smaller center spline for the drive shaft. Now it sits much lower

Anyone ever having binding issues in the front? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
binding issues donny220 Newbie General 4 08-11-2014 06:37 PM
Binding issues countryboy48 General Crawlers 5 12-18-2013 08:13 AM
Binding issues. Please help. LCC4TWENTY Team Losi Comp Crawler 8 01-17-2011 12:35 PM
Binding issues prusik333 Electronics 4 08-30-2009 09:18 PM