Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Capra Stock Shock Solutions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2021, 11:54 AM   #1

Default Capra Stock Shock Solutions?

This question has probably been beat to death but I just got done building my Capra kit a couple weeks ago. What are you guys doing with the stock shocks, pen spring mod? Shorter shocks? Lighter springs? I bought a set of 90mm desert lizards but heard the pen spring mod was a better solution. Just wanted to get some input, thanks.
Thought_Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2021, 01:03 PM   #2

Default Re: Capra Stock Shock Solutions?

when i bought my capra it has red springs with the pen spring mod... I decided to try something different so i pulled the pen springs and went with purple springs. It unloads more than it did before but i just adjusted my driving style. i used 40wt when i put them back together. I like it better with the purples and no pen springs... Alot of it depends on what kinda terrain your on. I say just try some diff setups and see what you like best... Im gonna rock the purples for a while but at some point ill change it up again!
Phoenixfabworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 02:21 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Love my 90mm Desert Lizards in droop...took a while to get everything sorted out though, and they are not exactly easy to service. I've tried stock, limited stock, traxxas, and the DL and so far I like these the best for my driving style.

OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:45 PM   #4

I use the purple springs f/r and have been happy with them. I run them in a mostly droop configuration (truck sits at about 70-ish percent into the stroke in the front and about 50 in the rear). Crawls great! Only complaint about them is that they weep a fair amount of oil.
Jerrfylube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:12 AM   #5

I tried the purple springs, they honestly seem way to light. But I do a lot of trail riding too.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrfylube View Post
I use the purple springs f/r and have been happy with them. I run them in a mostly droop configuration (truck sits at about 70-ish percent into the stroke in the front and about 50 in the rear). Crawls great! Only complaint about them is that they weep a fair amount of oil.

Yeah my purple springs droop way too much imo. I want to sit lower but still have some rebound. With the purples I just bottomed out the shocks most of the time and they were so light they would just stay bottomed out. I like the feel of the red shocks but want to sit a little lower. Gonna try pin spring first I think. Thanks for info.
Old 03-16-2021, 02:01 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thought_Criminal View Post
Gonna try pin spring first I think.
Just and fyi......when you do the pen mod, reassemble the shocks without oil and see where the ride height is. Myself and several others have had to cut a few coils off the springs to get the height right. No sense in the messy oil routine till you're sure you got the stance you're looking for.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Yeah my purple springs droop way too much imo. I want to sit lower but still have some rebound. With the purples I just bottomed out the shocks most of the time and they were so light they would just stay bottomed out. I like the feel of the red shocks but want to sit a little lower. Gonna try pin spring first I think. Thanks for info.
Did you add some preload with the adjusters? I run mine maybe 1/4 into the adjustment and still have plenty of room to dial in less droop...
Jerrfylube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:07 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
This question has probably been beat to death but I just got done building my Capra kit a couple weeks ago. What are you guys doing with the stock shocks, pen spring mod? Shorter shocks? Lighter springs? I bought a set of 90mm desert lizards but heard the pen spring mod was a better solution. Just wanted to get some input, thanks.
Everybody's driving style and terrain where they will use the vehicle will be different. What works for one may or may not work for you.

I'm currently building a kit and I went crazy reading all the posts here and watching YouTube videos on shock height, pen spring mod and what color springs to use. Then I went crazy looking for the rights pens with the right springs. All this, without even finishing the build or running the Capra!

I finally decided to just build the damn thing according to the kit's instructions and just try it out on the terrain where I will use the truck. THEN I will decide on what I need to do to lower the chassis or even if I need to that with my driving style and terrain.

BTW, my kit came with eight springs, 4 reds and 4 greens. I'm just going to use the 4 reds, stock oil weight and no pen mod and just give it a shot.
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheTrail View Post
Just and fyi......when you do the pen mod, reassemble the shocks without oil and see where the ride height is. Myself and several others have had to cut a few coils off the springs to get the height right. No sense in the messy oil routine till you're sure you got the stance you're looking for.
I bought several different kinds of pens so I would have some spring options. I chose the shortest ones that still had plenty of stiffness. Overall pretty happy with the outcome. Links are sitting just a hair above horizontal. I'm not getting as much travel as stock obviously, but with the lower center of gravity it's just about an all around better preformer.
Old 03-18-2021, 06:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrfylube View Post
Did you add some preload with the adjusters? I run mine maybe 1/4 into the adjustment and still have plenty of room to dial in less droop...
Yeah I tried several different setups,. Wasn't what I was looking for. I wanted something a little more stiff.
Old 03-18-2021, 06:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmeow View Post
Everybody's driving style and terrain where they will use the vehicle will be different. What works for one may or may not work for you.

I'm currently building a kit and I went crazy reading all the posts here and watching YouTube videos on shock height, pen spring mod and what color springs to use. Then I went crazy looking for the rights pens with the right springs. All this, without even finishing the build or running the Capra!

I finally decided to just build the damn thing according to the kit's instructions and just try it out on the terrain where I will use the truck. THEN I will decide on what I need to do to lower the chassis or even if I need to that with my driving style and terrain.

BTW, my kit came with eight springs, 4 reds and 4 greens. I'm just going to use the 4 reds, stock oil weight and no pen mod and just give it a shot.
I used the red springs as well but went with 40 weight oil. Running a mamba x with Tekin ROC412 3100kv. The 3100 kv is a little much but when I use the mamba x accessory wire for crawler mode it is just about perfect imo. It crawls so well, so smooth, the Capra is a whole different lvl I have never experienced before. Probably my favorite rig... Right now anyways. I quit buying RTRs a while back. You never know who assembled it, what screws they stripped, if they used enough diff lube or grease. And usually the electronics suck too.

Last edited by Thought_Criminal; 03-18-2021 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-18-2021, 06:24 PM   #13

How it sits after pen spring mod and 40w oil

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ME7...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by Thought_Criminal; 03-18-2021 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:11 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
How it sits after pen spring mod and 40w oil

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ME7...ew?usp=sharing

That looks nice. What kind of pen springs (i.e., Dollar Tree store, etc.) did you use and what length (uncrompressed)?
Old 03-20-2021, 08:06 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I have a set of takeoff TRX4 shocks and springs bought on EBay \on mine. Works great so far.
Rumpelhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:22 AM   #16

In running in the works rc capra shock mod to run losi mini t springs and so far its great.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Yotawheeler253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:24 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Anyone do Mini-T springs like comp crawlers? I love that look. I have a set in my Amain wishlist and may try it next order.
Bansh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 04:00 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansh88 View Post
Anyone do Mini-T springs like comp crawlers? I love that look. I have a set in my Amain wishlist and may try it next order.
Capra shock...special edition
[IMG][/IMG]
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:05 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Capra shock...special edition
[IMG][/IMG]
What is that? Please do tell!
Old 03-23-2021, 06:47 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmeow View Post
What is that? Please do tell!
They are Capra shocks upgraded with 3d printed parts and miniT springs.
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Capra Stock Shock Solutions? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Capra RTR Stock Springs. z381472 Axial Capra 1 06-29-2020 01:19 AM
Capra Shock Bottom Spring Cups Robbob Chassis and Suspension 0 12-14-2019 10:47 AM
NEW Team FastEddy Bearing Set for Axial Capra - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 10-09-2019 01:56 PM
Axial Capra 1.9 UTB Parts - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 09-27-2019 03:12 PM