Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Jato The GOAT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2019, 08:26 PM   #61

Default Jato The GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post
True, but I think I got fairly reasonable clarity with these...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Pretty good! Nice job. Is that PLA or PETG?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2019, 08:27 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Jato The GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I designed and 3D printed a Chevy C10 inspired grille. The printer needs some dialing in, but I like it.

When you get it “dialed”, I’d gladly pay you to print and mail one to me.

I’m an old iron (particularly GM) fan.👍🏼
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:28 PM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post
True, but I think I got fairly reasonable clarity with these...

I don't care about the lenses. What I'm curious about is the piece of paper those lenses are sitting on. What vehicle is that, or would that be, for?

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:32 PM   #64
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
I don't care about the lenses. What I'm curious about is the piece of paper those lenses are sitting on. What vehicle is that, or would that be, for?

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
3D printed MATV design I bought. I have it all printed, but need to assemble it. If interested in more info, shoot me a PM, don't want to derail Jato's thread any further...

JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:24 AM   #65
RCC Addict

Wake up Jato! Time to go crawling!!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:15 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
Wake up Jato! Time to go crawling!!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
I was up early and made it in time to crawl!
Old 10-14-2019, 05:53 PM   #67

I slept like crap Saturday night, but the excitement of running the Capra had me up to my first alarm. That's rare these days as I'm a chronic snoozer.

I stopped at Wawa to grab a Sizzli, an OJ and some drinks and snacks for the trail.

I arrived at St. Pete's about the same time as OSRC.

There's a bunch of rocks down by the steam. Over the years OSRC discovered a few rocks that he deemed test rocks. They are great places to test your rig and also see if changes helped the rig or make the performance worse. It also makes for great photos. This is where we started our day on this chilly morning. I have to say the Capra made easy work of these test rocks. Out of the box, with very minor mods, that is extremely impressive performance!

Although I'm not sure if my LS-swapped Capra is stock.

As you can see here I did add the louvers decal and a "hood ornament". Not sure if you can see that one in any of the photos.

After the test down by the stream we headed out on a trail run.

I don't have any video, but I have a ton of photos. Here are a few.

Here are some shots with OSRC's SCX10 II.

Some people are already talking tummy tuck and I have to say I don't find it necessary. Even if the Goat dragged its nipples it still pulled out of the situation.

I have to say the Axial Capra is an awesome rig. My transmission was wonky so the long term durability of that remains to be seen. I also had trouble shifting my dig. It especially hate shifting when the nose of the rig is headed up a hill, but I'm not sure if that's a common problem or my bad adjustment of the dig servo. But otherwise this is a high quality rig. And the capabilities out of the box are very impressive. I have to give a ton of credit to Rich, Matt.K and the rest of the Axial/Horizon people. They regained me as an Axial fan and I'm anxious to see what they develop in the future. The Capra is a far cry from some of the junk that HobbiCo pushed out the door. I'm also looking forward to the hop ups from Axial.

If you don't have a Capra yet just go get one.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:26 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Agreed on the performance. It sure looked fantastic from where I was standing. (Left mine at home since my batteries are still on order.)

It's really not fair to run it with a scale chassis rig... they are not even in the same league performance wise.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:28 PM   #69
Rock Crawler

I love the look of the red fuel cell. Part of me wants to do the same, but part of me doesn't want to blow it apart so soon after getting it put together.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:44 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

The capra is a good rig right out of the box for sure. If you're that impressed with it a sporty or pro will freak you right the fawk out.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:51 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Agreed on the performance. It sure looked fantastic from where I was standing. (Left mine at home since my batteries are still on order.)

It's really not fair to run it with a scale chassis rig... they are not even in the same league performance wise.
Not a fair comparison for sure, but it's still fun to get in a trail run no matter what! Also fun to see the performance differences between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
I love the look of the red fuel cell. Part of me wants to do the same, but part of me doesn't want to blow it apart so soon after getting it put together.
Thank you. I think it's worth it. I hate painting, but I took the time for the fuel cell. It almost ended in disaster because I moved the cardboard out of the way to make room for the body panels and the fuel cell tipped during the move. Thankfully I was able to cover up most of it with more coats of paint and it's hard to see the side of the fuel cell the way it's mounted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
The capra is a good rig right out of the box for sure. If you're that impressed with it a sporty or pro will freak you right the fawk out.
I'm sure I'd be blown away. I'm just lazy and not much of a piece by piece custom builder. But it's pretty crazy what the Capra can climb without lots of weight and that is something I haven't seen from a kit or RTR before. I did see a comp earlier on before scalers were a thing. The moon buggies are impressive as hell.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 10-14-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:01 PM   #72
Go Buckeyes!

Nice pics! The GOAT looks great on the rocks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:20 PM   #73
Gold Star Baby!

Glad you enjoyed your first run and walked away happy with the rig. It looks right at home out on the trail.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:53 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Nice pics! The GOAT looks great on the rocks!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Glad you enjoyed your first run and walked away happy with the rig. It looks right at home out on the trail.
Thank you! It's a fun rig.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:07 AM   #75

I got a chance to run the Capra again today. I'm very happy with this truck. It just works. I love that it's short, wide and light.

The lines that OSRC and I were able to pull with our Capra's today were pretty incredible for mostly stock trucks. I didn't get too many photos. We were too busy having fun.

I do not have OD in this truck and I would like to add it. I would also like to maybe lower the height a few mm more, but I don't know if I'll go through the trouble to do that.

I want to try stiffer springs and/or oil starting with the rear shocks. Sometimes the truck just flops over too easily. But overall, it's a great truck. Tons of fun. The Reedy Radon 16T motor is awesome. It's got a lot of speed, plenty of torque, and it's as smooth as can be. This is my new, favorite budget motor. I highly recommend it.

I had initially thought the transmission in my Capra was extra noisy, but after running it side by side with OSRC's they are very similar in terms of gear noise.

This is one of those rocks that is much trickier than it appears. This was amplified with the conditions because everything was wet and slimy. The Pitbull Rock Beast XL's in Alien Kompound were very impressive in these conditions!

I experienced a bunch of torque twist on this rock which I don't often see with the Capra.

But I was able to make it up this rock.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 01-01-2020 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:44 PM   #76

Damn, that's a sweet looking Capra. Nice work.
Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:59 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Were you noticeably out crawler by the brass knuckle weights or was it close crawling?
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:50 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Damn, that's a sweet looking Capra. Nice work.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Were you noticeably out crawler by the brass knuckle weights or was it close crawling?
I think OSRC would agree with me when I say the two rigs were way more equal in performance than you'd think they would be. The extra weight he added to the front of his should have theoretically offered more performance. There were only two situations that the added weight seemed to help significantly.

The first was when the rear wheels were locked from the dig his front wheels would pull better because the extra weight gave him more traction. My truck struggled to pull the locked rear tires in some, high traction situations because the front tires would just spin.

Also, his truck seemed to be a little more planted in extreme uphills. Mine wanted to lift the front a little easier and he seemed to make it farther up extreme climbs that neither of us could surmount. We did have different tires so that may or may not have played a big part in terms of traction. He used Hyrax in G8 compound and my truck has the Pitbull Rock Beast XL's in Alien Kompound.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:01 PM   #79
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the follow up. I was contemplating getting a set of brass weights but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Been having lots of other things in my way besides crawling although I keep living through y’all’s escapades. Ima try to finally get mine out on some local rip rap at the ball fields. I’ve had it since the release but have less than 10minutes run time.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:11 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Thanks for the follow up. I was contemplating getting a set of brass weights but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Been having lots of other things in my way besides crawling although I keep living through y’all’s escapades. Ima try to finally get mine out on some local rip rap at the ball fields. I’ve had it since the release but have less than 10minutes run time.
You're welcome.

Brass usually helps. I can't say I've ever seen it hurt. It'll be interesting to see how our Capra's compare the next time out when conditions are different.

This is only my second run on the Capra. It's a ton of fun. The more I drive it the more I like it.

Tags
axial, capra, crawler, horizon, jato

Jato The GOAT - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
E-JATO Help please djjerbeck Non Crawler RC's 0 03-29-2014 12:36 AM
Jato? mike Tamiya TLT Crawlers 6 08-17-2005 07:46 PM