Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Chipper Capra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2019, 12:42 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Chipper Capra

I was hesitant at pre-ordering one of these. On the day of the release I could not resist and got one on its way. It is on the other end of the spectrum from my two previous kits, a RC4WD D90 and Marlin Crawler. It is my first Axial since the SCX10-II Cherokee was first released (the one I ordered from RPP and waited months before Axial delivered them )

I am running a Tekin T360 steering servo. The steering servo it getting 8.4 volts from the Castle BEC. The Holmes BR-XL ESC powering a CrawlMaster Pro in 16t. The ESC also feeds the 6 volts to the Spectrum micro servo.

Here it is all built up with electronics, I have yet to paint the body panels.

This is a poor pic. I may try to get a better image. However, I was able to mount a Holmes BR-XL ESC, a Futaba Receiver, and a Castle BEC all on the "firewall". I had to cut the "lip" off the top off the firewall to get the Holmes ESC to mount with double-sided tape.

The electronics, other than ESC, are being held in with a zip-tie. I plan to clean that up.

I painted the grill chrome. I wanted a bit of bling. Didn't turn out so well.

Wheels are Vanquish Method 101 V2 with 225 hub. Tires are Pro-Line BFG Krawler in Predator compound. Filling the tires are Crawler Innovation single stage foams.
Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2019, 01:02 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Chipper Capra

Looking good! Love that wheel tire combo..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:09 PM   #3
Gold Star Baby!

Agreed, digging the wheels and tires. Also like the fuel cell detail.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:27 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I have had good success with Molotow chrome pen, what did you use? I think it looks good. Not as reflective as chrome but that is a hard to match without actually dipping it.
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:36 PM   #5

The grille looks good! I thought about painting mine silver, but I don't have any silver spray on hand.

The wheels are awesome as well!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:48 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the compliments on the wheels. I should mention that I dressed them up with scale hardware from LockedUp. I am using their acorn studs and scale bolts.

Here's a couple of videos I took on my backyard course. I have been very please at how quiet my kit has turned out. The Tekin servo is nearly silent and the Capra drivetrain has been surprisingly quiet.

FWIW, I am running a 12 tooth pinion. I do wish this truck was geared lower. Guys are talking OD gears and I am like WTF?? I want Under Drive gears. But I don't run OD gears or have brass anything on any of my rigs. I like to keep relatively scale and lightweight.

Embedding isn't working for some reason. https://youtu.be/DQlfJAaqudQ

In the second video I am screwing around with the dig. I have my Futaba setup to allow the truck to go from 4wd, front wheel only (rear drive is neutral) and of course, rear locked. I have found that when I get tension after using dig, the servo cannot provide enough force to unlock the rear-end. (About 19 second mark of video.) At times, I have to slight backup to allow the servo to unlock. As Jato has stated, need to shitcan the servo saver. From the t 19 second to about the 26 second mark the rear-end is in neutral, then at the 26 mark I engage the rear drive-shaft. Fun to play with, but needs tuning to dial-in.

https://youtu.be/yGtZfZTh318

So far, with my area, I like the factory stance. One project I am thinking about is a suck-down winch. I am trying to figure out a way to mount a winch in the chassis, rig it to the front axle and then have the ability to suck-down the front end on steep climbs. I think it would be a bad-ass function on the truck. I have run with the guys in the Utah based 801RC and I have seen those guys run a spring in the center of the front axle to keep the front end from unloading on steep climbs. But to keep it sorta scale (and a engine~nerd~ing challenge) I'd like to use a winch.

Last edited by Chiphead; 10-08-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:50 PM   #7
Go Buckeyes!

Another for the wheel and tire combo! Love them wheels!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Chipper Capra - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Capra JatoTheRipper Axial Capra 284 06-03-2021 07:47 AM
Bomber or Capra macman809 Axial RR10 Bomber 54 02-28-2020 03:00 PM
Capra forum? Topher Builds Comments, Suggestions, and Help 14 01-22-2020 10:54 AM
Capra MODS BEAU Axial Capra 6 10-12-2019 11:07 AM