Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Perfect for me Capra without new transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2023, 09:31 AM   #1

Default Perfect for me Capra without new transmission

Loving my Capra very much. Just wanted to share my setup that has proved to be about perfect for me without changing the transmission.

1. PULLER PRO V2 ROCK CRAWLER MOTOR - STANDARD - 2200KV
When all said and done, fit fine and power is prefect for trails and crawling.
2. Castle Creations Mamba X
I returned a Copperhead for this and so glad I did. I prefer the BEC options. More importantly, the aux wire was beyond worth it. I linked my drag brake to a rotary dial on my FS-GT5 and I use it all the time!
3. Treal Alloy Transmission Case for Axial Capra 1.9 UTB
This is a critical item that allowed me to use a 9t 32P pinion. It was $69 and left me with zero need for a transmission change. I can crawl as slow as I like with zero hesitation with the Puller Pro. And it is still fast enough to be fun on trails.
4. Vader Products Axial Capra Skid
I like the clearance this provides. More importantly, It allowed me to use a full size servo (stock steering servo) for DIG. More about the servo in a moment. You have to be a bit clever when installing a full size servo. There are videos on this. Because the instructions are a bit lacking and the spacers are not used as the instructions specify. But it works is the point. The distance from the servo horn to the dig is a bit much. But I was able to use a part form the servo saver to bridge the gap.
5. SHV800 V2 SERVO
It took me a long time to understand the importance of an expensive quality servo. A crawler makes you realize that ruth sooner than later. The SHV800 derives power directly from the battery. It is so much stronger than the knock offs on Amazon. I cheaped out and got a cheap 35kg for the rear. Once I saw the drastic difference in performance, I ordered another SHV800 for the rear.
6. AR44 AXLE UNDERDRIVE GEAR SET - 33T/8T
I originally installed this as well as 12/23 OD portal gears in the front. I know OD and UD are personal preference things. But, for me the Capra drove like dog sh&*! It was no good for a trail rig while it dragged its rear wheels. On throttle it was a hot mess. I had to shit the crap out of the diffs just to stop the clicking. Far too much stress for me on the drivetrain and I did not see performance gains to warrant it. Again, I now many will argue. Just my opinion and what I like. The UD is negligible and may be more of a placebo effect. But I like this setup.
7. Pro-line Racing Lid Skid Body Protectors for SC, 1:10 and 1:8 Monster Truck Bodies, PRO636000
I wish I added these sooner. I am now putting them on all my rigs. With a little creativity, you can keep your panels scratch-free. Many display their carnage to their panels as a badge of honor. my OCD likes things clean and neat.
8. Treal Brass diff covers. Treal brass inner portals on the front and brass outer portals on the front and rear.
Another preference topic. But this setup works well for me.
9. 100MM Desert Lizard Shocks
I read many negative reviews on these shocks. But I loved the concept. So I gave them a try. Configuration is everything and takes trial and error. I went with 100mm for the articulation in the rear. I run zero springs on the outer shafts which brings my ride height down to a perfect level for my driving style. I have plenty of clearance in most situations. In the front, I used short stiff springs on the inner shaft. These basically makes them 90mm. I run zero springs in the rears. I run 40wt in front and rear with 4 hole disks in front and 3 hole disks in rear to slow them down a bit.
10. FS-GT5 with FS-BS6 receiver
Not really a Capra thing. But I love this controller. You can get a FS2A-4CH 2A Mini Compatible Receiver which is super micro and perfect for scx24 rigs. One remote for all my rigs is worth it's weight in gold for me.
I never though I would need 6 channels. But, with Aux wire, Dig and rear steer, I find that I need more for light controls and such.

I'm sure I'm missing some things. But wanted to share my build to possibly help others. I think the biggest suggestion is the $69 trans case for a 9 tooth pinion. Made a world of difference.

Oh yeah, I love the Proline 2.2 Super Swampers. Thought I was getting the XL's. That was an expensive mistake. The two-stage foam does not fit the Gen 1's. Have some Crawler Innovations on the way. I really don't give a rats ass about perfect scale. Some do. I get it. I guess my 1:1 truck isn't scale either as I have over-sized tires on it. And I'm good with that.

Anyway, hope this helps. I'll add pics shortly.
TopperMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Perfect for me Capra without new transmission - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Capra transmission Rick_Sharp Axial Capra 9 07-02-2022 07:33 PM
AX10 Transmission on The Capra? Shinobid Axial Capra 3 12-23-2019 10:44 AM