Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: What’d you do with your goat today?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2020, 07:41 AM   #261
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: What’d you do with your goat today?

Took it to my spot for the first time ever. The old 2.2 Mudslingers did well considering the wet conditions. Surprised me actually with all the constructive criticism received over some outdated tires. Also to be noted my spot is mainly angled rip rap and poured/busted concrete. So no smooth rocks. Found some packed red Mississippi pit run gravelly clay and the tires did well until blinding the large lugs.

Aptly named Capra. Did as well as my dedicated crawler I built a few years back.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2020, 04:05 PM   #262
I wanna be Dave

Didn't have much time today to truly do anything on my 2nd Capra, but I did have (barely) enough time to test-fit the body from Carter Fab & Machine, as well as the Vitavon Racing CF door panels. There's still some mod work needing to be done to the body (notice the lines behind the door panel), but, overall, is say it looks great.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:43 PM   #263
I wanna be Dave

Default What’d you do with your goat today?

I’ve got 2 Wraith chassis’. When I was modding them it was good times because when one was down the other was running. And then I’d carry the knowledge of the runner over to the one on the bench and get it going. A never ending cycle really.

One had a Spawn body and the other the Spyder panels. Both full interior and nearly identical.

Last edited by Brake Weight; 02-28-2020 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:23 PM   #264

My first attempt at a vinyl wrap.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
hulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:57 PM   #265
I wanna be Dave

Default What’d you do with your goat today?

Got my weighted brass knuckles in from the land of corona virus. Ordered them back on Jan 19th during peak Chinese New Year. They look to be good quality and nice and shiny. I scrounged around and found an old bottle of RadioShack PCB Etchant. After a 5 minute dunk they lost the sheen and are slightly darker. May look at getting some of that Brass Black or may not care.

Forgot the pic.

Last edited by Brake Weight; 02-27-2020 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:54 AM   #266
RCC Addict

Installed the Vitavon portal covers after painting them black. I like what Brake Weight did with the PCB-Etching but oh well. Also for anyone running the RTR Capra, you might want to check your portal/ axle shaft gears. Mine were dry as could be on all 4 corners. Threw some grease in there while I had em opened up.

high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:26 AM   #267
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Installed the Vitavon portal covers after painting them black. I like what Brake Weight did with the PCB-Etching but oh well. Also for anyone running the RTR Capra, you might want to check your portal/ axle shaft gears. Mine were dry as could be on all 4 corners. Threw some grease in there while I had em opened up.

From what some others have said, you might also want to check the grease (or lack thereof) on the axle's ring & pinion gears

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 02-28-2020, 11:01 AM   #268
RCC Addict

Thanks, panther. I'm going to open them up later as well.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:43 PM   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
From what some others have said, you might also want to check the grease (or lack thereof) on the axle's ring & pinion gears

Mine were dry. Transmission was too on my RTR. 0 grease.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
hulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:01 PM   #270
I wanna be Dave

While I didn't physically work on my 2nd Capra today, I did work on (and finished) a couple of "accessories" that will be going inside it...namely, an LS3 engine, and a dual-fan radiator.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:16 PM   #271
I wanna be Dave

Today, finished the fuel cell.

Old 03-08-2020, 03:32 AM   #272

Hulz, the wrap looks good. Also I like the naked rings over the gun metal wheels there.

Panther that thing is sweet. Nice work!

Capra inner fender wells fitted. Hated the gap. Love it now.

They use the front shock mount hole from the inside and one hole drilled for a screw in the front lower tube behind the head light also from the inside. Please excuse the fab hardware.

Also, I ground the tips off the hood pin clips to not poke the panel when pushed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
woodcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:30 AM   #273
Gold Star Baby!

Nice idea in the fenders, digging the new ssd wheels too
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:43 AM   #274

I dropped the front end a 1/4” by moving the front shocks up. I cut up a gun swab rod to length and tapped for the longer 3mm shock bolts. I drilled so the axial standoffs fit tightly in their new higher location. When assembled, the rod provides a rigid mount.

Getting the gas plugged in now is a process but not too bad. I like it so far and haven’t thought if dropping the back is beneficial yet.

About 2 1/4” under the front of the skid now. Loving the rake.
woodcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:45 PM   #275
RCC Addict

Made a new grill for my Capra... needed something different.

1.10mm aluminum plate
Grill material from old MRC 977 charger
G-made headlight lenses
RC4WD KC light buckets
Faux diamond "bulbs"
Fusion orange/ black/ white/ silver paints
2x cap-head screws & 2x 1mm spacers

Took me way too long to complete this partly b/c I had to piece it all together... so all kinds of parts and potential directions to go. I had to keep stepping away from it lol. Glad I stuck with it though... came out pretty good imo.

Old 07-22-2020, 05:54 PM   #276
I wanna be Dave

It took a good bit of scrolling to find the daily thread. LOL.

I finally got mine out and gave it a decent shake down on some rocks. It performs quite well, very well as a matter of fact. This rip rap rubble pile is about as best as it gets in my area. Sad there is no natural rock outcroppings. There was hardly no line it could not handle.

Last edited by Brake Weight; 07-22-2020 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:02 PM   #277
Pebble Pounder

Put SSD overdrive portal gears in the front. I think they come out to a little more than 20% overdrive. MUCH better for the rip-rap spot ive been using lately. it will now hold its line while turning, where as before, the rear would push the front off line (would go straight more than turn). climbing was also much improved with less tendency to flip over backwards. next are some homemade weights for the front portal axles (using motorcycle wheel weights) and that should round out the front end. i have an 11t pinion and a Crawlmaster sport 16t. The low speed is a little too fast and hard to crawl slow, so ill also be looking for a Crawlmaster Expert or Pro (also 16t) so i can run a 10t or 9t pinion and use the additional holes in the motor can to get my gear mesh where i want it.
splyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:42 PM   #278
Pebble Pounder

I ground down the motor mount and fit a 10t pinion. MUCH better low speed than the 11t. I hand to clearance both the screw slots and the main opening for the motor. I ground a little too far and i exposed the inner portion of the transmission to the bearing holder on the motor. not a big deal, but transmission cases are only $8 on Amain, so i ordered one up as well as some Element Rc white springs. i currently have the purple axial springs (.72) with 30wt oil. i like the damping but the spring rate is too soft. i am hoping the combination of the white springs (.95) and 30wt will give me the rebound to keep the rig balanced.

UPDATE: The 10t pinion is MUCH better. slower speed, more torque, smooth control, just as expected. its a cheap and easy upgrade. i think some patient sanding would be a better option than using a dremel.

Last edited by splyn; 10-13-2020 at 05:02 AM.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:03 PM   #279
Pebble Pounder

tuning continues. i replaced the proline dual stage foams in the front Hyraxs with the stock foams. the stock foams allow a noticeable improvement in conforming to rocks and obstacles, but do tend to fold a little on tight turns. I also adjusted my HW1080 esc and gained more low speed control. both of these adjustments have allowed me to tackle a few lines that i was unable to pull off before. i think the esc adjustment made the biggest difference. with the wheels barely moving, the rig was able to grab onto the slippery, rocky, muddy climb without overwhelming the limited traction. next are some .95 springs to try to get the suspension in the right range. then maybe some home made weights for the front portals.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:12 AM   #280
RCC Addict

I also just switched from an 11t pinion to a 10t, I ended up having to take about .020-.030" off the transmission case (after lengthening the motor mount slots) to allow the motor to slide over enough to get good mesh. I also installed Vanquish 33/8 underdrive gears in the rear axle. I know I went the expensive route to end up with a ~20% overdriven front axle (including the SSD overdrive gears already installed), but the Capra needs all the gearing it can get and this landed me at 48.47:1, anything deeper is going to require a transmission swap. I think a JEC slipper eliminator might be the next part on the list.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote

What’d you do with your goat today? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Goat 2s to 3s possible? Hoyta Electronics 1 06-10-2015 09:40 PM
Goat 2s help.... msd44 Electronics 10 03-12-2012 08:02 AM
Novak Goat Vs Novak Goat Ballistic?? k_r_a_c_k_e_r Electronics 3 02-19-2010 07:53 PM
new goat 3s redking Electronics 2 09-02-2009 11:13 AM