Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: OS's Capra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2019, 09:28 PM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default Re: OS's Capra

OSRC's Capra was tearing it up. I know he will have that thing going near vertical after a few adjustments.

We definitely went off the beaten path. With the cold weather and the leaves down it was a great day. Until my motor smoked in the TRX and I had to do the walk of shame. Upgrades are already inbound.
Daycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2019, 06:59 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Wan't doing anything your TRX4 couldn't keep up with. Great truck!

I have a set of 90mm Desert Lizard shock inbound for the Capra. Think this truck will do well with them. If not I'll go back and mess with the stock shocks a bit.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:48 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Decided to try out some of these shocks...Desert Lizards, in the 90mm flavor set up in semi droop configuration. Set up with soft springs up front and mediums on the rear, 30wt oil to start.

Brought the links down to just above level at ride height.. love it! Feels great on the bench - the front might be a little loose with the soft springs, we'll see how it does out on the rocks.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:22 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Round 2 for the Capra, another 2600mah consumed. After a long trail run with my TRX, I swapped over to the Capra and went to play in the rocks. Changing the shocks made a ton of difference...

The rear doesn't flex nearly as much as the front since the springs are stiffer, it's almost like having a swaybar back there. Seemed to really work well. Might go with a heavier oil up front, but it's definitely in the ballpark now.

No way out...lol. To the left is a heck of a drop between rocks - not sure if I would have been able to fish it out. I did make the gap to the next rock though.

Climbs with very little drama now...was lifting the front left wheel before with the soft shocks. Now just low and planted. A little weight down low should really glue this rig to the rocks.

Been a while since I used dig, still getting the hang of it. Having a ball locking the rear wheels and sliding the rig down steep drops.

So far so good! Definitely a much better round two - wasn't really all that impressed with round 1. Adding a bit of weight down low for round 3, possibly experimenting with some tires though the Hyrax were fantastic. Not sure I'm sold on the portals in all honestly. Might be a better rig with straight axles. Hmm...
Old 12-18-2019, 07:45 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Small update - put some new shoes on the Capra. Nothing wrong with the Hyrax, they work great. Just trying out some options. This time it's Predator KM3's on SSD wheels.

I added weights at all 4 corners as well. I'm thinking the Predator compound might work a bit better in the colder winter temps. We'll see!

Old 12-29-2019, 12:33 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Picked up a set of HR brass knuckles for the Capra...I'd do a before and after F/R weight balance, but one of my scales is dead. :( So anyway, here we go!

Fit and finish is very nice, no issues and the bearings seat snug.

Weight comparison... holy cow. Won't need any additional weight I down think.

Mounted up no problem, only took a few minutes. I had to run a file between where the steering link mounts - just a pass or two to get the rod end to slide in. No biggie. It was just a bit too snug to slide in.

Tried a few sets of wheels, no clearance problems with Wraith hex hubs. (Stockers might be a bit different since they are so thin)

Very happy, truck is feeling great! No plans to add more weight anywhere, I honestly don't think it's needed!
Old 12-29-2019, 12:53 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Looking better...tho, it already looked good.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:32 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Put about 2600mah through the Capra...I have to say I thought the weights up front would make more difference. Not so much. Not sure if I need to re-tune the shocks or what, but really it wheeled about the same. The Hyrax G8 struggled in the cold slick conditions for sure, I should have run the KM3's.... oh well, next time!

Pictured with Jato's Capra.... Though they were set up pretty different, they really wheeled about the same.

I'm debating swapping over to non-portal axles and experimenting. This thing spent more time on it's roof that it should have imo. Never seems to land on it's wheels! Wondering how it would do with a lower COG... Hmm...
Old 07-28-2020, 08:13 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

(months later...)

Went out for a little trail run with the Capra for only the third time. Turns out it wasn't so little!

Has some new Showdown tires I wanted to put through the paces. They did pretty well - excellent on the trail with the gravel roots, and mud. Did decent on the rocks too. Not a bad tire at all.

Swapped out the Desert lizards as well for a set of TRX4 shocks. Limited travel somewhat, but I think it made it a bit more stable overall. Very smooth setup.

The impossible rock... well, not that impossible I guess since there are 3 rigs up there.

Just a few more trail pics....

Ballsy... Pic doesn't show it, but the tree is on a hell of a slope - it's in the middle of our hillclimb. If it fell down, it was going to tumble another 40 feet. Driver did good though, went up and back down no problem.

At battery swap time, I switched over to a set of PL Predator KM3's as I had them mounted and wanted to try them out.

Once they broke in, wow. Did fine on the trails but really gripped the rocks. There's a lot of contact patch there, and they were like velcro.

Dig doing it's thing. slowly slid down one rock till the tires hit the next one, then released the dig and drove off. Most of my scalers don't make this line. A little hairy as you have about 10 inches of meet between the rocks and the creek is on either side. I'm standing in it to take the pic... It's ok, it was about 100 out and the creek felt awesome!

Still have to install the OD gears - lots of areas where that would have been helpful. I came home and ordered a flat skid for this truck too to play with the COG. I like this truck, but I don't love it. Yet. I think there's a lot more potential here...
Old 07-28-2020, 03:20 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Great update and pictures! Thanks!
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:48 PM   #31
Rock Stacker

It was a great day! 16 guys and girls made for some traffic jams, but the heat was wicked, so going slow was nice. Soon there will be another Capra

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
(months later...)

Went out for a little trail run with the Capra for only the third time. Turns out it wasn't so little!
Daycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:18 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

I wish I can find people/groups like that in my area.
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:48 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

The heat was wicked! I was whipped when I got home. Again...

People were coming from all over - out towards York, a couple guys came over from NJ. Lots of guys here in the NE.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:33 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Decided to add a flat skid to the Capra. My thought was to raise the skid, but then lower the rest of the truck a bit so the overall breakover height was about the same, but the CG was lower. That's the theory anyway. Ordered a Spare Time Hobbies Capra skid and went to work...

Skid install went fine, with one exception... I had to order a low profile servo for the dig. The mount for the tiny servo was way too high and was unusable. Also, I had to dremel out a bit of the cage for the rear driveshaft to pass though. Almost looks like it was designed this way.

Up front I moved the shocks to one of the cage screws. Added a spacer behind the shock and dug out some longer screws. Worked perfectly and dropped the front just the right amount.

Had to get creative out back. I was going to fabricate a set of risers, but then I dug out an old AX10 carbon frame...the holes seemed to line up...hmmm... A little hacking later, and I had some risers

It was some work getting them in there and getting the shocks mounted, but I got them in. I'd like a little more drop in the back, but this will do for now.

And back on 4 wheels! Still have about the same belly height, but the chassis has been dropped slightly to compensate...I have no idea if this will really make a difference or not, guess I'll find out!
Old 10-13-2020, 09:26 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

Any updates on whether the flat skid helped or not? I ask because I've been debating if the flat skid is worth all of the fuss.

Thanks!
RCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:40 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Haven't had it out yet unfortunately.... Still looks like it sits too high to my eyes. I'd really like to swap over to non portal axles, I think it would make a world of difference.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:56 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Haven't had it out yet unfortunately.... Still looks like it sits too high to my eyes. I'd really like to swap over to non portal axles, I think it would make a world of difference.
not bad from wanting to sacrifice it to the gods at one point, glad it all worked out. lookin at getting the kit since its on sale
trig n tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:58 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

OS, nice setup. I have the STH skid on mine and its sitting lower as well. I have the stock shocks internally limited to a total length of 92mm, and run mini t springs. Front is soft enough to sit mostly compressed.

After getting the shocks sorted out, in combination with the flat skid I'm pretty happy with how its working. Breakover is still decent, cg isn't noticeably raised, it can do most of what my much more highly tuned scalers can do.

trig n tahoe...or anybody...what's this sale you mention? I was thinking I'd like to pick up another kit and if there's a sale, well I pretty much have to
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:49 PM   #39

Good lookin rig! I need to invest in a flat skid! I’ll set it up for a 3 gear trans when i do it. I’m still not a fan of the tall gearing but i run a revolver so the motor torque compensates pretty well for the lack of gearing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phoenixfabworx is offline   Reply With Quote

OS's Capra - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Capra JatoTheRipper Axial Capra 284 06-03-2021 07:47 AM
Bomber or Capra macman809 Axial RR10 Bomber 54 02-28-2020 03:00 PM
Capra forum? Topher Builds Comments, Suggestions, and Help 14 01-22-2020 10:54 AM
Chipper Capra Chiphead Axial Capra 6 10-08-2019 06:50 PM
OS's XR OSRC Axial XR10 21 11-09-2011 08:39 PM