Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Rear Steer Conversion parts list

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2019, 01:58 PM   #1
Sr. Product Developer

Default Rear Steer Conversion parts list

Hi All,
I've been asked quite a bit about a list of parts needed to convert a rear axle to "rear steer". Keep in mind this list is based on you converting a rear axle and not all the parts to build one.

1 - AXI232004 Currie F9 Portal Axle Housing Front
1 - AXI232006 Currie F9 Portal Steering Knuckle Caps
1 - AXA1230 Bearing 10x15x4mm (2 Bearings)
1 - AXI232009 F9 Universal Axle Set(2) (1 Set)
1 - AX31403 M3x4x10mm Hex Button Head Shoulder Screw (4)
1 - AXI234004 Susp Pivot Ball, Stainless Steel 7.4mm (4 pieces)
1 - AXI234005 Steering Links, Stainless Steel (1 Set)
1 - AXI234006 HD Rod Ends M4 (4 straight Ends)
1 - AXA144 Hex Flat Head M3x8mm (2 pieces)
1 - AXA0109 Hex Socket Oversize Head 3x10mm (4 pieces)
1 - AXI234007 Steering Servo Arm & Inserts (1 Set)
1 - AXA116 M3 x 12mm Button Head (1 needed)
1 - AXI235109 M3 x 14mm Button Head (1 needed)
1 - AXA120 M3 x 25mm BH (1 needed)

Rich

Last edited by Rich Trujillo; 10-10-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Rear Steer Conversion parts list

Being new to crawlers, I don't know much (ok, I don't really know anything) about dual steering, so I'm sure my question is going to appear 'dumb' to quite a few people...although, I'm sure there will be others who think "good question". With a dual steering setup (obviously, requiring two servos), is the dual steering always active? Or, can steering be switched between dual steering, and front-only steering?

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:13 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Being new to crawlers, I don't know much (ok, I don't really know anything) about dual steering, so I'm sure my question is going to appear 'dumb' to quite a few people...although, I'm sure there will be others who think "good question". With a dual steering setup (obviously, requiring two servos), is the dual steering always active? Or, can steering be switched between dual steering, and front-only steering?

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Hey buddy I’ve had a rear steering setup before. It can work a couple of ways. The ideal setup is a radio that accommodates 4WS (4 wheel steering). I have a futaba 4pl that does nicely but many nicer radios do too. I don’t think many rtr grade radios do though.

It works like this: you plug each servo in separate channels (1 & 3) and the radio will mix them into one function. You can toggle between 4 settings: front only steering, 4 wheels steer opposite (tight turning), 4 wheels steer same way (“crab crawling”) and rear only steering.

Now I’m sure you could set it up on a budget but with less control. For example if you plugged both servos into the steering channel with a y connector you would have either 4ws or 4ws crab crawl. Reversing the polarity to one servo should reverse the direction and thus the 4ws mode. This is less ideal because you can’t turn it off but it’d let you use 4ws. Like the old Tamiya clod busters, they were always in 4ws mode.

Last edited by hibbs; 10-10-2019 at 04:16 PM.
hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:53 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I added it all up. Hmm $150 to convert...
FastMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:59 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibbs View Post
Hey buddy I’ve had a rear steering setup before. It can work a couple of ways. The ideal setup is a radio that accommodates 4WS (4 wheel steering). I have a futaba 4pl that does nicely but many nicer radios do too. I don’t think many rtr grade radios do though.

It works like this: you plug each servo in separate channels (1 & 3) and the radio will mix them into one function. You can toggle between 4 settings: front only steering, 4 wheels steer opposite (tight turning), 4 wheels steer same way (“crab crawling”) and rear only steering.

Now I’m sure you could set it up on a budget but with less control. For example if you plugged both servos into the steering channel with a y connector you would have either 4ws or 4ws crab crawl. Reversing the polarity to one servo should reverse the direction and thus the 4ws mode. This is less ideal because you can’t turn it off but it’d let you use 4ws. Like the old Tamiya clod busters, they were always in 4ws mode.
There are also Programmable Servos, easy to use.
Siggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:07 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibbs View Post

Sweet...and, thank you (greatly) for the info. BTW, I'm running a 7PX, so assuming I wouldn't have any problems. I don't any plans for 4-wheel steering on my camera, but, when it comes to selecting my next two vehicle, it's a strong possibility for one of them. I figured, since someone brought the subject up now, I might as well ask.

Old 10-10-2019, 05:42 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I ordered the 4WS parts by looking at the exploded view during pre order. I got a front steering axle before the kit came in. I got my Capra 80% done. Trying to make my non-recommended dig servo work out. I’m excited to try the buggy and especially with 4WS setup!
hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:27 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Conversion parts are nice but I'd like to know if & when the axles will be available separately.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:24 AM   #9
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Conversion parts are nice but I'd like to know if & when the axles will be available separately.
They will but they are a ways out. All parts are going to production of vehicles first. I would guess by 1st quarter of next year.
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:33 AM   #10
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Just buy another one
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:51 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Just buy another one
Why not...I mean, that's what many racers do. Buying two kits is typically cheaper than buying one kit + all the necessary replacement parts. When the TLR 22 5.0 came out, I had considered that...but decided to hold off...and, with the recent release of the 22 5.0 Elite, I'm glad I did.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:53 AM   #12
Gold Star Baby!

I’m not about to do the math, but if you don’t want to part out a kit one could consider piecing the axles together. Maybe it can be done for less than $200?

https://www.rpphobby.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=UTB
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:19 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo View Post
They will but they are a ways out. All parts are going to production of vehicles first. I would guess by 1st quarter of next year.
Good enough, I hope type trans is available in a package deal eventually too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Just buy another one
Buy yourself one and I'll consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
I’m not about to do the math, but if you don’t want to part out a kit one could consider piecing the axles together. Maybe it can be done for less than $200?

https://www.rpphobby.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=UTB

I did the rough math the other day and figure it's in the $250 range to start from scratch.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Cost wise it definitely would make more sense to wait for the portals separately, or see what the fleabay types would charge. I feel like it would definitely be a smart move to offer them as front/rear package like the AR44s.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:29 AM   #15

I am intrigued by 4WS. Any pics & experiences would be appreciated.
elementti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:39 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

There's a post in the Axial forums (http://www.axialracing.com/blog_posts/1073927914) showing everything needed, and some photos of how to do it. Additionally, Supershafty sells apre-packaged "kit" (actually, two different versions) for adding rear steering to a Capra. Unfortunately, he is currently out, but should have them back in soon.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 12-03-2019, 05:53 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Awesome Rich thanks for the list!
Barndog Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:55 PM   #18
Hal
Quarry Creeper

I don't think you can get away with reversing servo by reversing polarity on your servo. It will fry the electronics inside. I know back in the day Sanwa radio's had the positive and negative reversed from all the other brands and if you didn't change wiring you would cook the servo. There is a way to do it by changing the wiring inside the servo, but it's not easy. The new servos that are programmable can do it with a programmer. It's easier and more convenient to get a new radio with another chanel.
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:30 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

The easiest, and probably only, way to reverse a servo is in the transmitter settings.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2020, 06:43 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

....or buy a 5 dollar servo signal reverser.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote

Rear Steer Conversion parts list - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear steer conversion tgr1977 Redcat Crawlers 5 01-20-2017 06:35 AM
Rear steer parts? J.T. Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 03-03-2011 10:47 PM
Leftover parts?? Rear steer!! chops1sc Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 06-25-2008 04:35 AM
tlt rear steer parts? emaxxjeremy Tamiya TLT Crawlers 3 01-14-2005 07:55 PM