Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Motor/gearing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2020, 07:38 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Motor/gearing

So I installed a HH 16T CrawlMaster 540. HH recommends replacing stock pinion with a 10T when using said motor. I have a 12T and a 14T. Guessing I should go with the 12T? Or keep stock pinion and just put in a Puller Pro BL 540? I started my Crawler life using sensors brushless. But in recent builds have really been digging the low end control of a good brushed set up(not to mention cost difference). That being said, with the Capra having portals, is my HH brushless with my Mamba X the best set up??
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fishcharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2020, 07:51 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Motor/gearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcharger View Post
So I installed a HH 16T CrawlMaster 540. HH recommends replacing stock pinion with a 10T when using said motor. I have a 12T and a 14T. Guessing I should go with the 12T? Or keep stock pinion and just put in a Puller Pro BL 540? I started my Crawler life using sensors brushless. But in recent builds have really been digging the low end control of a good brushed set up(not to mention cost difference). That being said, with the Capra having portals, is my HH brushless with my Mamba X the best set up??
Thanks.

You're spot on about a good, dialed in brushed set up. I was going all sensored brushless on my rigs for a while. About 2 years ago I did a Hobbywing 1080 esc paired with a Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster 13T. it made me fall in love all over again with brushed set ups! The low speed resolution out of a well dialed brushed set up is hard to beat.

Having said that, I did go brushless on the Capra. I went with the Hobbywing AXE system. (I've typically used Mamba X and HH brushless set ups prior). I wanted to try something different though and some of the TECH in the Hobbywing AXE system intrigued me. So far, I'm really pleased with it. The "speed matching" was a bit weird to me at first, but I've quickly adapted to it with trigger time and I'm really enjoying this set up now.

Either direction you go, brushed or brushless, I'd highly recommend going with an 11T pinion. It's the smallest you can run without modifying the motor mount, and imho, it's still a bit too tall. I mentioned in another thread that some guys have been able to run a 10T with some mods to the motor mount. Also, i believe the Vitavon aluminum trans case allows for smaller pinions than the stock Capra trans housing.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:38 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
You're spot on about a good, dialed in brushed set up. I was going all sensored brushless on my rigs for a while. About 2 years ago I did a Hobbywing 1080 esc paired with a Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster 13T. it made me fall in love all over again with brushed set ups! The low speed resolution out of a well dialed brushed set up is hard to beat.

Having said that, I did go brushless on the Capra. I went with the Hobbywing AXE system. (I've typically used Mamba X and HH brushless set ups prior). I wanted to try something different though and some of the TECH in the Hobbywing AXE system intrigued me. So far, I'm really pleased with it. The "speed matching" was a bit weird to me at first, but I've quickly adapted to it with trigger time and I'm really enjoying this set up now.

Either direction you go, brushed or brushless, I'd highly recommend going with an 11T pinion. It's the smallest you can run without modifying the motor mount, and imho, it's still a bit too tall. I mentioned in another thread that some guys have been able to run a 10T with some mods to the motor mount. Also, i believe the Vitavon aluminum trans case allows for smaller pinions than the stock Capra trans housing.

Wow thanks for all the good info. Sounds like my journey. Two years ago when I caught my addiction, I was full on Mamba X’s and CC or HH brushless. Seeing all you guys that know way more than me on here constantly installing 1080 and brushed I had to see what I was missing. Oh and I was missing! Love a the brushed set up. So does why wallet (aka wife).

Old 04-03-2020, 09:31 AM   #4

Brushed is still awesome. I'm running my Capra on a HobbyWing 1080 and a Reedy Radon 16T 5-slot motor.

In my SCX10 III I'll be trying a Tekin BXR for the first time. It's more expensive than the 1080, but it has an extra channel to offer an adjustable drag brake on the fly so I wanted to try that out. I'm just hoping my radio will work with it.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:29 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Brushed is still awesome. I'm running my Capra on a HobbyWing 1080 and a Reedy Radon 16T 5-slot motor.

In my SCX10 III I'll be trying a Tekin BXR for the first time. It's more expensive than the 1080, but it has an extra channel to offer an adjustable drag brake on the fly so I wanted to try that out. I'm just hoping my radio will work with it.

Ha yep, exactly why I have 4 Mamba X’s. Love having that aux wire programmed to drag brake adjustment. And ya I’m happy sticking with the 16T brushed I have already installed. Just thought I may have made a mistake cause the motor sounds like it’s really working overtime just to produce not much wheel speed. And at full throttle, wow is it loud. Is yours the same way?

Old 04-03-2020, 11:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcharger View Post
Ha yep, exactly why I have 4 Mamba X’s. Love having that aux wire programmed to drag brake adjustment. And ya I’m happy sticking with the 16T brushed I have already installed. Just thought I may have made a mistake cause the motor sounds like it’s really working overtime just to produce not much wheel speed. And at full throttle, wow is it loud. Is yours the same way?

I love the Mamba X myself! I have a handful on both brushed and brushless trucks. The Auxiliary Wire is awesome!

The Capra has a very noisy transmission. Mine is loud in that regards, but the motor itself is not loud.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:28 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I love the Mamba X myself! I have a handful on both brushed and brushless trucks. The Auxiliary Wire is awesome!

The Capra has a very noisy transmission. Mine is loud in that regards, but the motor itself is not loud.

Ah gotcha!! Good to know thanks. Soooo, leave the stock pinion, or put in a 12T I have??

Old 04-04-2020, 07:08 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Go with the 12. You can't hardly go too low on a Capra. I use a 9T on a HH 20T, and it's still plenty fast when something requires a bump.
monsterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:16 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterz View Post
Go with the 12. You can't hardly go too low on a Capra. I use a 9T on a HH 20T, and it's still plenty fast when something requires a bump.

Cool thanks man. Jut the 12 in last night since Jatto left me hangin haha. Waiting for my Incision links to show up before putting it all back together. Bye bye “vented links”. Oh and thank you RPP Hobby!! Yes I have to wait a couple days for parts, but at least I get my fix since all shops are closed and not shipping. If you were my wife, you’d say hobby shops are essential. It’s a the only thing that gives her a break from me hovering waiting like a lion to bounce at first chance. If you catch my drift haha.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:21 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Lol ��
monsterz is offline   Reply With Quote

Motor/gearing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High Turn Motor & Long Gearing vs Low Turn Motor & Short Gearing. Hardcoretam Electronics 11 03-15-2017 11:23 PM
Motor/gearing help. redneckracerx Tamiya XC/CC01 3 04-20-2015 08:05 AM
CC-01 motor and gearing Vicious-peanut Tamiya XC/CC01 4 07-24-2013 06:43 AM
20t motor and 45t motor gearing question? rcstrike Newbie General 1 11-16-2011 03:40 PM
Motor Gearing crawler nate 66 Electronics 0 01-28-2008 05:22 PM