Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Axial capra gearing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2020, 02:33 AM   #1

Default Axial capra gearing

Hey guys, I just got my first crawler, an axial capra 1.9rtr kit. I took it out for about 3-4 hours and loved it besides the fact it was very easy to flip. So I switched to ssd 2.2" beadlocks with proline hyrax tires (5.7" I believe). I also got brass steering knuckles, and brass portal caps all the way around. I took it out for about 15 minutes on a very intense course we have around here and the motor started to smoke. I stopped and let it cool off then ran it again for about 5 minutes and it began to smoke again. Since then the car will only move in reverse and will not move forward. So I bought a castle creations 1406 crawler motor(1900kv) with the mamba x esc. I am about to install it tomorrow and I was told that I will need to regear for it. What sort of gearing changes Should I be making?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
tmen25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2020, 07:34 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Axial capra gearing

First off - welcome the forum! There are a bunch of good people here and a veritable treasure trove of solid information and knowledge related to all things Tiny Truck!

Anyhow, with the Capra, your options are limited. I'm guessing you used the pinion supplied with the kit? It's geared way too tall that way. I'm running the Hobbywing AXE brushless system - 2300kv. I dropped down to an 11 tooth pinion on the motor, which is the smallest you can go without modifying the motor mount. It's still geared a bit too tall even with that imho. Some people have been able to get down to a 10 tooth with some hacking on the motor plate to get proper gear mesh. Also, I believe the Vitavon aluminum trans housing allows you to run smaller pinons. There's a thread somewhere here in the Capra forum.

Side note - by flipping, I assume you mean on its side? You'll want to get your ride height down a bit as the Capra sits way too tall in stock set up. I did the internal pen spring mod, and I also used shorter, Element Enduro springs - green rate. Ride height is perfect and suspension is super supple, and the rig is very planted. I did Vitavon brass portal covers up front, brass shock tips, brass wheel hexes. Additional mods are InTheWorks RC high clearance lower links, SuperShafty upper link mount for anti-squat.

Lastly, I highly recommend the JConcepts Landmine tires on this rig. They are phenomenal! I used CI Foams, Comp Cut Inners, Soft outters up front, Medium outters in back. The rig is ROCK VELCRO at this point!
Attached Images

Last edited by mewalsh100; 04-03-2020 at 07:41 AM.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:14 PM   #3

Default Re: Axial capra gearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
First off - welcome the forum! There are a bunch of good people here and a veritable treasure trove of solid information and knowledge related to all things Tiny Truck!

Anyhow, with the Capra, your options are limited. I'm guessing you used the pinion supplied with the kit? It's geared way too tall that way. I'm running the Hobbywing AXE brushless system - 2300kv. I dropped down to an 11 tooth pinion on the motor, which is the smallest you can go without modifying the motor mount. It's still geared a bit too tall even with that imho. Some people have been able to get down to a 10 tooth with some hacking on the motor plate to get proper gear mesh. Also, I believe the Vitavon aluminum trans housing allows you to run smaller pinons. There's a thread somewhere here in the Capra forum.

Side note - by flipping, I assume you mean on its side? You'll want to get your ride height down a bit as the Capra sits way too tall in stock set up. I did the internal pen spring mod, and I also used shorter, Element Enduro springs - green rate. Ride height is perfect and suspension is super supple, and the rig is very planted. I did Vitavon brass portal covers up front, brass shock tips, brass wheel hexes. Additional mods are InTheWorks RC high clearance lower links, SuperShafty upper link mount for anti-squat.

Lastly, I highly recommend the JConcepts Landmine tires on this rig. They are phenomenal! I used CI Foams, Comp Cut Inners, Soft outters up front, Medium outters in back. The rig is ROCK VELCRO at this point!
Thank you so much! That was super helpful and I feel alot more comfortable making my choice on which gears to purchase. I am very excited to be apart of this community!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
tmen25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial capra gearing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Capra JatoTheRipper Axial Capra 284 06-03-2021 07:47 AM
Capra trans & straight axle gearing...help Robotboy General Crawlers 3 02-16-2020 08:23 AM