Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Capra 2.2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2019, 01:45 PM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Capra 2.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
But why?
Last week I saw this truck built, the guy just got it together and put it thru some gates at Scale Mountian here in Florida. Within 30 yards he hangs up twice on the rear axle at the center. Granted driver has a steering wheel to avoid this but it happened. Seemed like a no brainer to me kind of like a slider for the Handi Capable.
mccarsones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2019, 02:43 PM   #22
RCC Addict

I get that. After my first few runs with an AR44 rear (in a Wraith) I noticed that the rear axle hit/dragged substantially less than the AR60 it had replaced ...but, when it did hook, it hooked much harder on the face of the 3rd member giving "involuntary dig." Switching from cap head bolts to button head helped a tiny amount, but flipping to low pinion would nearly prevent that snag altogether with no ill affect on ultimate ground clearance (but a slight loss of breakover clearance.) If you don't mind using your driveshaft as a skid plate, I can see situations where that's beneficial. I think a better option might be a plastic ramp shaped skid (3d printed?) that bolts to the lower 2 3rd member bolts, possibly extended far enough towards the skid to go under the driveshaft coupler, to keep it from hooking, while keeping iit high pinion.

Running high pinion allows you to run bent lower links which keeps your belly clearance higher, further back, which really helps on square edged breakovers. On the Capra I'm running ~10° of bend in the rear lowers which makes them slightly higher than level, but follows the angle of my front lowers and skid with full length kit rear shocks and 3mm limited front shocks. It's not for everyone, but it makes sense/works for me.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:18 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Thanks, LetterJ makes sense, there is give and take in every change and tweak. I by no means think this is the ultimate setup, just my initial take on the kit. The 1/4" titianium rod showed up today. So next chance I get, I'll try some threading on the Lathe. Weighed the stock links they were 2.1oz.
Thanks to All for the input!
mccarsones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:19 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Ok, I was definitely just curious. Personally I haven't noticed too many rear axle hangups yet that made me want to change it. Maybe we can get a smooth skid 3rd member designed, it shouldn't be too challenging.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote

Capra 2.2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OS's Capra OSRC Axial Capra 38 03-10-2021 10:49 PM
Capra forum? Topher Builds Comments, Suggestions, and Help 14 01-22-2020 10:54 AM
Capra scx10 Brandonr Axial Capra 2 12-25-2019 12:08 PM
Capra MODS BEAU Axial Capra 6 10-12-2019 11:07 AM
Chipper Capra Chiphead Axial Capra 6 10-08-2019 06:50 PM