RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Capra (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-capra/)
-   -   What did you change on your Capra? Why? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-capra/612570-what-did-you-change-your-capra-why.html)

dittohead 12-26-2019 11:29 AM

Re: What did you change on your Capra? Why?

I’ve just been slowly building mine but I did change a few things right off the bat
Stretched wb to just over 13”
Ti rear lower links (had some that fit)
Moved some of the factory rod ends around, added jato ends on one end of the lowers to add the wb (not ideal but works for now)
Proline scale shocks
Mip drivelines
It’s lower and longer which is what I wanted. Not sure when I’ll have it running but it’s a start. Likely add brass portal covers up front and make my own upper links next

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pjking 01-06-2020 02:04 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Factory shocks top mount raised, 60wt oil in shocks, Vitavon tranny case with 9 tooth pinion. Shortened wheel base to 12", works best for me, I’d rather have better break over. I find it’s more beneficial than the gains of the length. Reefs 99 servo for suck down winch and dig servo. Plan to figure better mounting system for suck down, it works fine the way it is but just looks hack. I was testing and got lazy and haven’t finished it up. Reefs 444 steering servo, because simply the best for your dollar. Steering mod for much tighter steering. Shortened front nose just because. Hammered out some copper panels out of recycled pipe for unique look. MIP driveline for strength, not really necessary. Front overdrive ring and pinion gears. Mesh was not the best, I tried several pinion gears I had till I got best mesh. Then used laping compound on gear set. Attached drill motor to pinion and slowly ran gears back and forth to wear them into each other. Worked great, not perfect but good. I’ve mounted up a VP tranny and dig on a Capra skid for a try. Been running dig units in most our cars For years so had a couple to try out. Car works very well overall. Very planted, by raising the shock mounts helps the stability yet still reef the benefits of the longer shocks. Climbs amazing especially with suck down winch. I have had good luck with oem shocks, properly set up with slime in bottom cap not leaking. I think that’s it but might remember more. Pretty much done with it, except trying out the VP setup in it.

durok 01-06-2020 08:58 PM

Really creative choice on body panels, and I dig your wheel and tire picks!

Those Patagonias are likely to be next on my list of rubber donuts.

Pjking 01-06-2020 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durok (Post 5988600)
Really creative choice on body panels, and I dig your wheel and tire picks!

Those Patagonias are likely to be next on my list of rubber donuts.

Thank you, the roof and hood are pretty heavy gauge. I’ll be redoing them in lighter material. I had the copper pipe left over from a copper rose I forged and brazed for my wife and figured it’d be kinda cool. The milestars seem like they will be pretty good. Still messing with foam configuration. I’ve been wanting something different from the Krawlers I always run. So, I got them and a set of the Mickey Thompson ttc from rc4wd. The wheels are the newer SSD