RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Capra (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-capra/)
-   -   What did you change on your Capra? Why? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-capra/612570-what-did-you-change-your-capra-why.html)

MAC FAB 10-19-2019 12:19 PM

What did you change on your Capra? Why?

Being that this rig is the latest and greatest, what did you change and why did you find it necessary to do so? Maybe this will morph more into a tuning thread than a beauty pageant, but for those who have altered, perhaps to help those who are undecided on pulling the trigger and are sitting on the fence, does it require a lot of upgrades?

For me, being an aluminum body fab guy, the lexan panels would be the first to go, mainly because too many different body styles are incorporated into the limited real estate. Cosmetic, yes, but so are wheels.

So what have you done? Geometry? Shocks? ???????

WHITE-TRASH 10-19-2019 12:32 PM

Re: What did you change on your Capra? Why?

1 Attachment(s)
Replaced the front upper links with some titanium links I had on hand that were 10mm shorter for a better castor angle. The upper links are short on this rig anyway but when lowered the pinion angles go to hell and takes the castor with it

I also replaced the shocks with 2661 big bore traxxas with mini t springs. Lower and more tuning options since I don't have 12mm traxxas or axial springs on hand like I do mini t.

Modified the steering stops and the c hubs for more steering angle. This required putting a couple bends in the tie rod too.

I made my own body panels too. Cheap and easily replaced when they get too mangled.

I'm running 2.2's on it too. Always 2.2 wheels but also tires at the moment. Still haven't had it out to see how I like it in this incarnation yet.

Topher Builds 10-19-2019 12:35 PM

Ryan did you run it with the stock shocks before putting the 90mm on there? Curious to hear some first hand comparison experience, however most people I’ve seen run 90mm shocks did it during the initial build.

WHITE-TRASH 10-19-2019 12:45 PM

Nope, I never even put them together once I saw the ride height they provide.

dezfan 10-19-2019 02:06 PM

I shortened my shocks to 90mm and I’m running the stock Enduro springs with 40wt oil.

I wanted lower the CG, I usually run my rigs with more droop travel, and the 40wt oil to slow down the drop out a bit. I may go a bit heavier after I get some wheel time.

Topher Builds 10-19-2019 02:16 PM

My Capra has front over drive gears, ssd brass wheel hubs up front, and 90mm springs (stock shocks). Still plenty of room for improvement but this platform is such a good base that even those few mods makes for a fun and capable rig.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uWuhQ63mRII" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MAC FAB 10-19-2019 02:39 PM

Good climb at the end. Dare I ask how deep $$$$ you guys are when done? Typical complete build cost?

Topher Builds 10-19-2019 02:47 PM

Most of the stuff on my capra came from what I had around, but if I had bought it all new for this build I’d be in around $700-$750 excluding the transmitter.

KulaHI 10-19-2019 04:01 PM

Wow that front end is really glued down on this climbs! Mind saying what gearing you’re using up front?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Topher Builds 10-19-2019 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KulaHI (Post 5971407)
Wow that front end is really glued down on this climbs! Mind saying what gearing you’re using up front?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I’m using the ssd overdrive gears, but I couldn’t get a good mesh with the provided ssd pinion (SSD does not advertise their OD gears as working with the Capra mind you, and has stated that there would be fitment issues). There seems to be a slight change in the Capra pinion position vs the normal AR44 housing. However, using the ssd ring gear and the stock Capra pinion I was able to get a better mesh.

Lashlee 10-19-2019 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH (Post 5971354)
Modified the steering stops and the c hubs for more steering angle. This required putting a couple bends in the tie rod too.

How did you go about bending the tie rod? I've got a vice and thought about giving it a good whack with a small sledge but could use some advice from someone with some experience. I think my 20T press might be a little overkill!

KulaHI 10-19-2019 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lashlee (Post 5971480)
How did you go about bending the tie rod? I've got a vice and thought about giving it a good whack with a small sledge but could use some advice from someone with some experience. I think my 20T press might be a little overkill!

I've not done the mod myself but I've gotten good results bending small pieces of metal with a vise finger brake.

https://www.google.com/search?client...w=1584&bih=859

KulaHI 10-19-2019 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topher Builds (Post 5971455)
I’m using the ssd overdrive gears, but I couldn’t get a good mesh with the provided ssd pinion (SSD does not advertise their OD gears as working with the Capra mind you, and has stated that there would be fitment issues). There seems to be a slight change in the Capra pinion position vs the normal AR44 housing. However, using the ssd ring gear and the stock Capra pinion I was able to get a better mesh.

Thanks Topher! That seems to be a worthwhile mod I might attempt at some point!"thumbsup"

WHITE-TRASH 10-19-2019 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lashlee (Post 5971480)

I used a ultra precision method seldom seen these days. I used a couple of box end wrenches and gave it a tweak. :lol:

A vice and a mallet will do it. No need to go crazy it's just stainless after all so it'll bend easily.

cyberhog05 10-20-2019 01:45 PM

I cut the area out where the end of the battery goes. Not buying new batteries over 5mm.

Lashlee 10-20-2019 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH (Post 5971487)
I used a ultra precision method seldom seen these days. I used a couple of box end wrenches and gave it a tweak. :lol:

A vice and a mallet will do it. No need to go crazy it's just stainless after all so it'll bend easily.

Thanks! I'll get it bent tomorrow after I hit the rocks in the morning.

corefire 10-21-2019 04:09 AM

i swapped some ssd pinions and shaft to produce legit overdrive in the capra frontaxle

https://www.rockcrawler.de/wcf/attac...20-204112-jpg/

J.DUKE 10-21-2019 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corefire (Post 5971714)
i swapped some ssd pinions and shaft to produce legit overdrive in the capra frontaxle

https://www.rockcrawler.de/wcf/attac...20-204112-jpg/

So is it better to do overdrive in the portals or the diff?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

edjo69 10-21-2019 12:56 PM

I was wondering since the total reduction is pretty hi stock, why not under-drive the rear axle? I would like to do this to mine but I really don't know how to go about doing it, it looks like from the picture above doing it in the portal box would be the simplest and more robust way to do it, does anyone have any ideas they might throw my way??

MAC FAB 10-27-2019 05:44 PM

So what is the general synopsis of the upper shock mounting locations? I am staring at a blank cage and see the fronts mess up the battery size area. Anyone "feeling me" with this? Rears jack up the body lines.......