Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Included Light bar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2019, 07:59 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Included Light bar

Not knowing much about Axial LED light products and their inability to list voltages for anything..... Does anyone know if the Capra light bar can be run off a 3s setup direct from Batt, so +/- 12volts? Thank you in advance, E

Last edited by edjo69; 10-19-2019 at 08:08 PM.
edjo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2019, 09:12 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Included Light bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjo69 View Post
Not knowing much about Axial LED light products and their inability to list voltages for anything..... Does anyone know if the Capra light bar can be run off a 3s setup direct from Batt, so +/- 12volts? Thank you in advance, E
Been wondering the same thing, myself. The lights I'm installing in the headlight buckets require 12V, but I'll be running the BEC @ 7.4V (which is why I picked up a PowerShift PST Light Booster. It converts 3V-8V power coming from the Rx to 12V, thus any Leads requiring 12V will receive 12V.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:21 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Mine works off the receiver using 3s with the BEC of the Mamba X at 7.5v. If anything it will be very bright for a brief amount of time!
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:02 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

As soon as I can, will probably order a higher h quality replacement. Will just need to decide "which".

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 10-19-2019, 11:59 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
As soon as I can, will probably order a higher h quality replacement. Will just need to decide "which".
Onetoomanyrcs, powershift, gearhead or even proline makes good lights. Don't get tricked into buying a VP or rc3wd light bar. They aren't any better than the stock bar when it comes to light output.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:03 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Onetoomanyrcs, powershift, gearhead or even proline makes good lights. Don't get tricked into buying a VP or rc3wd light bar. They aren't any better than the stock bar when it comes to light output.
As the Capra's "headlights" are Powershift, the replacement lightbar will probably be as well. When I do, just need to remember to order another PST Light Booster.

Old 10-20-2019, 03:34 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

How wide is the stock light bar, I don't have mine handy?
Old 10-20-2019, 03:36 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
As the Capra's "headlights" are Powershift, the replacement lightbar will probably be as well. When I do, just need to remember to order another PST Light Booster.

Are they 5mm or 10mm leds, sorry just trying to get a few things ordered and not near kit.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:57 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Mine works just fine at 5V directly plugged into the Rx. I also spliced in some 3-5V LEDs for the headlight buckets.
forty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:03 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Are they 5mm or 10mm leds, sorry just trying to get a few things ordered and not near kit.
Right now, I'm not home, either, so can't answer your previous question. As for the "5mm or 10mm" question, is that related to the lightbar, or what I'm using for headlights? If you're referring to the headlights, is suggest checking 'PowerShift'.

Old 10-20-2019, 08:16 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

The headlights? I used 5mm versions from eBay.
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:25 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashlee View Post
The headlights? I used 5mm versions from eBay.
If you're using the built-in buckets (as most have done), then I suspect 5mm is correct. Since I'm doing something a little "different", I can't really say, as even the headlights, themselves, are "different". For more info, be on the lookout for a new Capra thread, which I'll be titling "The Black Cat & the White Goat".

Old 10-20-2019, 09:01 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I have a set of these 10mm demon eyes in a knights customs grill on my C3 deadbolt body. They work really well, I bet they could be made to work nicely in the capra. Gotta order me another set now that I mention it...
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:34 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
I have a set of these 10mm demon eyes in a knights customs grill on my C3 deadbolt body. They work really well, I bet they could be made to work nicely in the capra. Gotta order me another set now that I mention it...
Ok...those are Cool.
Gotta remember those for future projects and/or if I decide to change the Capra's headlights.

Old 10-22-2019, 11:11 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

I talked with John @ Powershift and that one 12v booster would probably be enough to boost a complete set-up of off road lights including rock lights.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:34 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I talked with John @ Powershift and that one 12v booster would probably be enough to boost a complete set-up of off road lights including rock lights.
Except for the fact that I want each "light" (headlights & lightbar I'm counting as '2') to be controlled by a different Tx switch (I'm using 2 CPS-1 units, one on Ch5, the other on Ch6). If I was controlling all lights using a single switch, I would use a single PowerShift Power Booster...but, that's not my confirmation.

Old 10-26-2019, 11:35 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Default Included Light bar

This the Axial Simple LED controller. It normally comes with 4 white LEDs and 2 red LEDS, each powered by a dedicated port on the controller. The port on the same side as the receiver cable is the low side and meant to run the red LEDs. The opposite port is the high side for the 4 LEDs. The LEDs are wired in series, cathode from the previous LED to anode of the next LED in the string. I nipped the 2 inner most LEDs from the 4 and soldered in the lightbar, essentially replacing the 2 LEDs that were snipped off. Works as expected but I am concerned if the controller can handle the additional load. Receiver BEC @7.4v.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
KulaHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:07 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaHI View Post
This the Axial Simple LED controller. It normally comes with 4 white LEDs and 2 red LEDS, each powered by a dedicated port on the controller. The port on the same side as the receiver cable is the low side and meant to run the red LEDs. The opposite port is the high side for the 4 LEDs. The LEDs are wired in series, cathode from the previous LED to anode of the next LED in the string. I nipped the 2 inner most LEDs from the 4 and soldered in the lightbar, essentially replacing the 2 LEDs that were snipped off. Works as expected but I am concerned if the controller can handle the additional load. Receiver BEC @7.4v.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is something all manufactures need to start doing and its making me crazy, barely any of them, esp. AXIAL list any specs for their LED products, its super frustrating, but I am guessing that the box should be fine, you aren't adding much load wise being LED's. Plug it in and monitor it with a heat gun for a few minutes, if the temp starts getting to high you will have your answer.