Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: SCapraX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2019, 12:45 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default SCapraX10

I have had my old SCX10 sitting on a shelf for quite a while waiting to be the donor vehicle for a 1.9 Wraith build. I never got around to gathering the parts and then Axial put out a 1.9 Wraith, so I traded for one and gave up on that build.

After looking at this theread, I really liked the look of the narrow axles under a Capra and my wheels got to spinning. Out goes the 1.9 Wraith idea and in comes the narrow Capra idea.

I have a cage and skid on the truck for delivery today. Hopefully this weekend will give me a little time to start working on getting this together.

I don't for a second expect this to perform as well as a stock Capra, but I think it will be a fun build. I don't usually do build threads because my builds are pretty generic, but I thought this was different enough to post.

I don't really have a time frame as to when I want this done. I would like to play around with it sooner rather than later, but if this is one of those slow 1 year builds, so be it.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: SCapraX10

Here's the donor. I can't remember the last time I drove it. It gets disassembled tonight for sure.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:33 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

We’ll be waiting.
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:54 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

May be I'm just being naive, but I had assumed that a cage kit would come with the hardware to assemble the cage.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:42 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Got the skid drilled out and the 3 gear trans mounted.

Old 10-26-2019, 04:00 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Now we are getting somewhere.

Old 10-26-2019, 04:51 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Still tons of work to do. The SCX10 uppers are way too long. Also, I don't have any long set screws to hold the rear links in place, so I have a couple of allen wrenches holding them in for mockup. The wheelbase is about 11.75". I think that should work.

Old 10-26-2019, 05:11 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Sweet! 👍🏼

I have similar aspirations. 😈
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 05:29 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Looking good, even if a bit "long in the tooth". Since you mentioned the front links are too long, how close is the servo coming to hitting the front tubes (holding the grill/headlights)?

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:23 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I think once I shorten the upper links there won't be any clearance issues. The lowers all seem to be fine.

I do need to get the bent rod ends that I just ordered installed. The straight ends are binding at the skid plate. I also need to dig up some softer springs and outboard the rear shocks. The rear shocks are rubbing on the cage at the moment.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:43 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
how close is the servo coming to hitting the front tubes (holding the grill/headlights)?
Plenty of room for the servo.

Here is where it sits tonight. I have some shock work to do to bring it down a little and I need to finally install the underdrive gears that I bought for this rear axle. After that I just need to wait on my Amain order so that I can button this up and see what I have got.

Old 10-26-2019, 08:00 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Cool...looks good.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:31 AM   #13
RCC Addict

So then SCX10, 1.9 Wraith and the Capra are fairly compatible for parts swapping? If so, that just made my day.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:28 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

It depends on what you mean by compatible. I had to drill new holes in the skid to make the 3 gear trans fit. I'm having to make new upper links. I may have to make new lower links depending on how long they are when I get my bent rod ends. The rear shocks need outboarding in order to keep them from hitting the cage. The rear driveshaft had to be shortened. It's not plug and play. I'm having to work to make these parts work together.

There aren't any 1.9 Wraith parts on this truck. There is a fair amount of crossover between the 1.9 Wraith and the SCX10 ii.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:39 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Yes, adaptable. Having to fab stuff is part of the playbook, right? I need to get my cage to a roller, you've shown that it is possible. Axial veterans may be thinking "Really?", but I usually scratch build everything so I find your thread valuable for gathering intel for what will be a partial build.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:51 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
Having to fab stuff is part of the playbook, right?
Definitely. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't giving the impression that you can grab a bunch of random parts and have them bolt right up and work.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:01 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

I was looking at it on the bench last night while I wait on some parts to come in. I just can't stand the thought of those garbage plastic Axial shocks on this thing. $32 for a set of new HPI Venture shocks was a bargain I couldn't pass up. I was hoping to have it in its final form this weekend, but I guess I can wait a little while longer.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:08 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Just about done. I just need to finish the interior and wait on the wheels that I ordered to come in. I'm really liking the short 11" wheelbase and narrow axles under this cage. This started out as a way to do something with my old SCX10, but I'm giving serious consideration to putting some better axles under this thing.

I was hoping for more splatter than streaks with this paint job, but I'm really happy with how it turned out. I kind of want to paint a body like Eddie Van Halen's Frankenstrat guitar now.

Old 11-03-2019, 11:35 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post

[/img]

I’m digging on the short wheelbase, too. What wheels/tires are those? Ca you do a straight on pic showing the ‘normal’ axles?
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:33 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

The wheels are SSD steel wheels and the tires are RC4WD Mickey Thompson Baja Claws.

Here's a head on shot.