Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Link building, ugh!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2019, 08:09 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Link building, ugh!!

Anyone have the same issue I’m having? Just started ATTEMPTING to thread the rod ends on. After about an hour I’ve gotten 3 of the 4 rod ends on the steering links. Tried chapstick, nope. With the help of my drill motor, got the short one finally done. But not confident it would just strip about as it probably took a hundred rotations to get the rob end totally on. Got one of the long steering link rod ends on, again with the drill. But barely. Super hard task, or do I have a flawed pack of rod ends? As all of you I’ve done dozens of links, so not sure what’s going on here. Tips.....please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fishcharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2019, 08:12 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Link building, ugh!!

Are you threading on the correct direction? They have right and left hand threads.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Last edited by Shawns303; 11-17-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Shawns303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:15 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawns303 View Post
Are you threading on the correct direction? They have right and left hand treads.

^^ ditto
Gimpy00Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:15 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawns303 View Post
Are you threading on the correct direction? They have right and left hand treads.

You’re kidding me!! Nope, sure haven’t been then. Of course, you nailed it! The holes in the links for adjustments post instill should hav clues me into that. Thanks man.

Fishcharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:16 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I held the rod end and pushed the link in while spinning it to get them started. After that I put a hex driver in the hole in the Lon and the hole on the rod end and spun the ends on. Also don’t forget that one side is reverse thread so it lefty tighty and righty loosey. The other side is normal. Some of them were tough to start and one I got a couple on all the others went quickly.
Ghonda99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:17 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcharger View Post
You’re kidding me!! Nope, sure haven’t been then. Of course, you nailed it! The holes in the links for adjustments post instill should hav clues me into that. Thanks man.

No problem.

Shawns303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:28 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I was going to ask the same thing, as I built my links...all 10 of them...in approx 30 minutes. The Capra is my first crawler, and my first Axial product, but, from what I understand, this is (supposedly) the first Axial vehicle to use counter-rotating links.

Having built several TLR off-road vehicles (plus others), I'm used to building turnbuckles, which are always counter-rotating. That's what allows you to adjust the camber, as well as the toe-in/out.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:37 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghonda99 View Post
Also don’t forget that one side is reverse thread so it lefty tighty and righty loosey.
It should always be righty-tighty, and lefty-loosey...you just flip the link/turnbuckle when building it. For example, when adjusting camber and/or toe-in/out turnbuckles, in order to keep both sides equal Kenneth, you always rotate both sides in the same direction, and to the same amount (1/4 turn, 1/2 turn, etc), in order to keep both turnbuckles equal in length. The only real exception to this rule is if you're racing on an oval track.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 11-17-2019, 10:49 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
It should always be righty-tighty, and lefty-loosey...you just flip the link/turnbuckle when building it. For example, when adjusting camber and/or toe-in/out turnbuckles, in order to keep both sides equal Kenneth, you always rotate both sides in the same direction, and to the same amount (1/4 turn, 1/2 turn, etc), in order to keep both turnbuckles equal in length. The only real exception to this rule is if you're racing on an oval track.

Interesting, never thought about it that way. I’m a mechanic so when it’s on a car it can’t be turned around.
Ghonda99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:18 AM   #10
RCC Addict

As you look at the threads, if they look to be tiltling to the right, right side higher than the left, you have a right hand thread. Opposite for the left handed stuff.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Links are also grooved on one end, if I remember correctly to indicate right hand thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
KulaHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaHI View Post
Links are also grooved on one end, if I remember correctly to indicate right hand thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yup, yup...correct.

Link building, ugh!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Link Building Materials! RcBro Tools and supplies 26 09-14-2013 11:04 PM
building or buying a 4 link browningjosh Newbie General 6 08-06-2010 10:17 AM
building a four link JIMMYBOB General Crawlers 12 01-10-2007 09:11 PM
building 4 link hardin316 Newbie General 6 12-17-2006 08:45 PM
Need help building a 4 link chassis daven75 General Crawlers 4 03-19-2006 09:35 AM