Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Soze builds a Capra too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2020, 07:44 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Soze builds a Capra too!

A little behind on my posting, so I'm just getting caught up with my updates.

Got these recently...

Supershafty servo mount
Supershafty rear upper link riser

I really wanted the black versions, but I didn't want to wait for them to be in stock. In turn, I got these fairly quickly. They actually turned out looking not too bad. If I ever have some free time, I might consider taking a black rattle can at it.

Here's the Supershafty mount compared with the stock mount.

It would appear that the notched side is supposed to face the rear, because they're cut out where the upper link rod-ends are, but then you run into this issue where the servo ears don't mount correctly because of that angled bottom.

Anyway, I turned the servo mount around with the notched bottom facing forward and the flat side of the mounts facing forward. The non-notched side ended up not being an issue as the suspension wouldn't even drop far enough for those upper links to even hit the bottom of the servo mount.

Moving onto the rear link risers, you'll need to source some 3x14mm screws that don't come with the part.

Fits pretty well

All mounted up

I might have to lengthen the upper links to take care of that driveshaft angle.

soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2020, 07:54 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

I also got these recently off of eBay.

Brass portal covers

So I think everyone knows they're sold by Vitavon, but I think these are probably from the same factory with different branding (So far I've seen Vitavon, TBS, Hot Racing?). Mine happen to be branded TBS. I put in a best offer for $20 and got them.

I think these brass portal covers were originally intended for the stock wheels. You'll have to make sure whatever wheels you are using has enough inner diameter clearance to use these.

Clearance with the stock wheels.

Type of wheels where this part will not clear!

Luckily the wheel I chose to use has enough clearance to use these portal covers.

Everything fit really snug, so that was good!

All mounted up.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:07 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

After the upgrades, I took the Capra out for a test run to see if they worked.

They indeed worked. The front stayed planted and gave me more confidence on steep inclines. It also allowed me to throttle up some inclines where wheelspeed is required without flipping over backward.

And with that being my last crawl of 2019, it was good to reflect on how 2019 was a pretty good year for me in the R/C hobby.

Last edited by soze; 03-31-2020 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:11 AM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Why did you choose to raise the rear upper link ?
What is the expected behaviour ?
I suppose you want to change the anti-squat, and everybody has his own theory on the right amount of it. Which holes do you use chassis side ?

Is your clutch working fine ? In other Axial transmission there is a spring inside the clutch system, in the Capra there is nylon cylinder. I tighten my clutch as hard as I could but it slips too much...

Thanks
Filippo
setecastronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:36 AM   #45
Gold Star Baby!

Great shots Soze! Glad 2019 was a good RC year for you. Definitely ended on a high note.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:09 AM   #46

Such a good looking truck. I'd say put some Brass Black on those weights, but the brass actually matches your color scheme.

Did the link risers help or just the weights? Kinda "budget" that they don't include the two screws. Some other brands would have included those screws. Thanks for the heads up on that. I need to find some before I try to install mine.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:45 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by setecastronomy View Post
Why did you choose to raise the rear upper link ?
What is the expected behaviour ?
I suppose you want to change the anti-squat, and everybody has his own theory on the right amount of it. Which holes do you use chassis side ?

Is your clutch working fine ? In other Axial transmission there is a spring inside the clutch system, in the Capra there is nylon cylinder. I tighten my clutch as hard as I could but it slips too much...

Thanks
Filippo
My clutch seems to be working fine with stock setup, but I don't bind my Capra much at all so there really wouldn't be reason for it to slip.

On the chassis side, I still have the links at the bottom hole. I plan on testing the different holes both chassis and link riser sides to see what I like best.

8:40

On this one, you move up diagonally and the angle is steep enough where the front right will lift if the rear squats. The risers seem to have helped preventing that from happening.

12:03

This one is steep and you throttle it up at the bottom. Without the risers the Capra just tends to flip backward going up that incline. The risers seem to keep the front axle down when throttling it up, and the weights help it to hold when it gets up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Such a good looking truck. I'd say put some Brass Black on those weights, but the brass actually matches your color scheme.

Did the link risers help or just the weights? Kinda "budget" that they don't include the two screws. Some other brands would have included those screws. Thanks for the heads up on that. I need to find some before I try to install mine.
They helped, but I think the combination of the two is ideal for me. Even with the riser keeping the squat to a minimum on the steep inclines, I find I need the front weight on almost everything else.

If I had to pick one, I'd just go with the weights, as they seem to be most useful in most scenarios. The link risers help, but in a smaller number of situations or percentage for the lines I'm running. Where I saw it helping most was when doing throttle blips up inclines, but most of the lines I can approach slowly.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:40 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Getting caught up with my updates.

Here's a video from January

Old 03-31-2020, 11:20 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Catching up on my stuff...

Got these at the end of January.

- SSD Servo Mount Set
- Team Garage Hack Portal Overdrive Gears

Who can tell me what's wrong here?

Anyway, thanks to @TopherBuilds for hooking me up with the person at TGH that could take care of this for me.

That looks a little more correct!

Ignore the poor looking grease job in the following pictures. They really aren't that packed with grease. It's just grease that flung off the previous gears that I didn't clean up before taking these pictures.

I had planned to run the Capra my next time out at CDM to test these overdrive gears out, but you know..... Covid-19....

I have not installed the SSD Servo mounts yet, but I'll get around to it sooner or later.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:22 AM   #50

Nice write up! If you could do it again, would you go RTR or kit again? Looking to decide what I wanna do, kit or RTR. Nice build thread!
polcyn1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:25 AM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by polcyn1030 View Post
Nice write up! If you could do it again, would you go RTR or kit again? Looking to decide what I wanna do, kit or RTR. Nice build thread!
I'm the wrong person to ask, because no matter what I always go kit when possible. I enjoy the building part.

I guess it depends on whether or not you want to build it. The other factor would be choosing your own electronics with the kit.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:37 PM   #52

Hello. So I started building the Capra kit today. Going slow since I’m not an experienced builder. Actually followed your build videos so it’s cool to be able to drop by here and ask questions.
Since I’m also planning on using axe 2300kv motor I was wondering about the pinion gear. Do I risk something breaking if I keep the stock one? Or is it fine?
Really cool build btw.
Kronblom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 05:44 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronblom View Post
Hello. So I started building the Capra kit today. Going slow since I’m not an experienced builder. Actually followed your build videos so it’s cool to be able to drop by here and ask questions.
Since I’m also planning on using axe 2300kv motor I was wondering about the pinion gear. Do I risk something breaking if I keep the stock one? Or is it fine?
Really cool build btw.
It'll be fine. A smaller pinion would give you better control though.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:05 AM   #54
I wanna be Dave

This was the first time I've been able to get the Axial Capra out in a while. I had taken out and fiddled with the electronics while it was on the bench, and I forgot to check the motor rotation direction. I was running in reverse for most of the day up until close to the end, when I realized... the AXE system has bluetooth and I can switch it on the spot! Dammit! Conditions were fairly dusty, and I still have tuning to do as far as shocks and more front weight needed. Nevertheless, it was good to get it out for a run to remember where I left off, so that I can get to tuning it for a future run at CDM.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:18 AM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Finally got the Capra out to CDM post installation of the TGH Overdrive gears. It was fun to get this rig out at CDM again.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:15 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Is this what Bumblebee looks like when he's not a Beetle, or a Cameron? I dig it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:02 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

This Capra and my Element Enduro Sendero are my two most capable rigs right now. It's been interesting to see where one rig does better than the other.

The wider axles help it overcome some instability with the higher COG of portal axles, but also hinders it on certain lines where a narrower track width is needed in order to not be pushed off the line.

While the Capra does make some lines more easily than my Enduro, the Enduro seems to beat it out on straight vertical climbs due to the lighter lexan body and concentration of weight down low. The lower hanging belly of the Capra also gets the rig high centered sometimes where the Enduro otherwise would not be.

All in all... two very capable rigs, with some differences to keep things interesting between them. Both are very fun to drive!

Old 11-13-2020, 04:57 AM   #58
Rock Crawler

Looks like an amazing place to crawl!

Did you notice a big difference with the overdrive gears?
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 12:13 AM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Backlogged content...

Took the Axial Capra out to CDM again for a quick run with MikeRCH's Element Enduro GateKeeper. Also had some time to do a little SCX24 crawling out there as well. I really can't wait to get my hands on the GateKeeper, it'll be a fun project to work on and set it up differently from my other Enduro trucks.

Old 04-01-2021, 02:01 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post

More pictures to come...
Wahwahwee
looks super clean, and that terrain
hatchgreenchile is offline   Reply With Quote

Soze builds a Capra too! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soze finally builds his SCX10 II after 2 years. soze Axial SCX10 II 33 08-20-2021 01:16 AM
topher builds a Capra Topher Builds Axial Capra 100 03-16-2020 08:03 AM
Jackie Builds a Capra - LIVE Locked Up Axial Capra 1 11-17-2019 03:46 PM
Johnny builds a Capra because why not? JohnnyAnguish Axial Capra 19 10-24-2019 06:16 AM