Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Capra Shocks, Springs, and Oil Weights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2019, 09:36 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Capra Shocks, Springs, and Oil Weights

There seems to be a lot of "disconnect" where these three components are concerned, within these forums, as well as what people have done elsewhere (for example, based on things mentioned in YouTube videos). As I'm too new to "know what's best", I'll keep my comments to a minimum. The primary purpose of this thread is to pull info (related only to these three 'parts') from people, based on your Capra experiences, so that others building their Capras can use that info to assist in their build. For those who own multiple crawlers, I'm assuming that you'd agree that the Capra is an entirely "different beast", thus the suspension tuning is bound to be somewhat different.

Anyway, some have said that the stock springs are too soft (even the softest included springs), while others have said they're too stiff. Some are using oil as light as 20wt, while others are indicating up to 70wt usage. As for the shocks, themselves, while some say the stock shocks are to long, and that 90mm shocks are best, others have found the stock shocks to be great (although some have used internal limiters and/or the pen spring mod and/or no preload).

So.......... What springs (incl brand/model & rate) & oil weight are you using? If using the stock shocks, what mods (if any) have you done? If you're not using the stock shocks, what shocks are you using (and, again, what mods, if any)? Did you preload (and approx how much), or no preload?

Also, to better assist others, it would probably help to indicate your actual type of use (slow technical crawling, rock racing, etc), as that would have considerable differences in how you've timed your suspension.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Last edited by Panther6834; 11-21-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2019, 09:48 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Capra Shocks, Springs, and Oil Weights

To kick this thread off...again, admittedly not knowing what I'm doing, and having only gone by what a few others had done prior to me starting my build...I went with the stock shocks (as I don't know which aftermarket shocks might be better), but I did add 2.75mm of internal limiters to help lower the suspension.

For oil & springs, I'm currently running 20wt & the softer of the stock springs in front, and 25wt & the slightly stiffer springs at the rear. I know several have mentioned the Element Enduro springs, which I am considering (although, it would help to know which spring rates are working best for F&R). As for preload, I'm still playing around with it (although, not excessively, as I'm still considering the pen spring mod and/or 90mm shocks).

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 11-21-2019, 11:14 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

For crawling with occasional blip of throttle to jump nasty gaps, I'm currently using the stock shocks with soft springs, no preload, internal pen springs, front inner hole, rear mid. Shocks assembled with 30w fluid and green slime on orings. So far it's not bad at all, but have been at a race track and fellows with fulldroop went further up on really steep climbs. But personally don't like full drop cause it's too bouncy if jumping or going little faster than crawling.
Mine weights 2400 with a 1300mAh, a micro x and revolver
rockspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:12 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

1 thing you will learn here is there are basically 2groups as far as types of drivers, those that use a lot of throttle and those that crawl. In each group you will find a great variety of suspension setups it really depends where you crawl the type of rock and how you drive. Me personally I setup for more ground clearance at the skid than most here and find my rigs climb more easily but loose out just a touch on sidehill. I fit in the slow crawl group and I’ve never been able to setup a droop to make me happy. Best all around I can suggest is lighter springs and oil in front and stiffer oil and springs rear your on your own from there. I run traxxas springs and rear shocks stock front shocks with traxxas springs 15 weight oil front. 35 rear
solo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:00 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

There's also the matter of whether you're setting up your shocks with high pressure setup or low pressure setup.

Personally I set up my rigs with low pressure setup.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:25 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

solo1 & soze, you seem to have the idea that I'm asking for myself...I'm not...I created this thread so that others (especially crawler newbs) would have a thread providing with helpful info. Unfortunately a instead of providing that info, all you've done is explain that different people will use their Capra for different issues, and will need to set up theirs differently. That much, others will already understand.

What they could use is the actual info asked for, which includes what type of driving the info is for. Your answers are akin to bring asked what type of had you put in your car, and you replying, "Well, different types of cars need different types of gas.". In other words, it doesn't actually answer the question asked

Old 11-21-2019, 05:32 PM   #7
Go Buckeyes!

I'm currently still in the build process and have not put power to it yet, but I am starting out with this setup:

- Stock Capra shocks
- 8mm fuel line on shock shaft internally (total eye to eye length 90mm)
- Stock RTR Element Enduro shock springs
- 60wt AE Factory Team oil

I plan on driving the Capra on slow rock crawling with a little trailing mixed in!

The shocks feel really good with this setup and I will learn more after I do a "first run"!

Last edited by B-MOW71; 11-21-2019 at 05:34 PM.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:37 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I'm currently still in the build process and have not put power to it yet, but I am starting out with this setup:

- Stock Capra shocks
- 8mm fuel line on shock shaft internally (total eye to eye length 90mm)
- Stock RTR Element Enduro shock springs
- 60wt AE Factory Team oil

I plan on driving the Capra on slow rock crawling with a little trailing mixed in!

The shocks feel really good with this setup and I will learn more after I do a "first run"!
Thank you. That's exactly the type of info I'm referring to that others will find helpful.

Old 11-21-2019, 06:25 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
solo1 & soze, you seem to have the idea that I'm asking for myself...I'm not...I created this thread so that others (especially crawler newbs) would have a thread providing with helpful info. Unfortunately a instead of providing that info, all you've done is explain that different people will use their Capra for different issues, and will need to set up theirs differently. That much, others will already understand.

What they could use is the actual info asked for, which includes what type of driving the info is for. Your answers are akin to bring asked what type of had you put in your car, and you replying, "Well, different types of cars need different types of gas.". In other words, it doesn't actually answer the question asked

Even if I did tell you my exact suspension settings ( which I will not do) it doesn’t tell you the type of rock or size and steepness of the obstacles I’m climbing nor does it tell you my radio settings or just how numb my trigger finger is. Everything about crawling ( to the nth degree) is personal and subjective. If I did give you my settings you might go to your fav spot and after 5 min say this guy knows nothing and you would learn nothing. I’ve spent 3 yrs learning what I know now about rock crawling and thousands of dollars. You may learn by doing also
Old 11-21-2019, 06:37 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo1 View Post
Even if I did tell you my exact suspension settings ( which I will not do) it doesn’t tell you the type of rock or size and steepness of the obstacles I’m climbing nor does it tell you my radio settings or just how numb my trigger finger is. Everything about crawling ( to the nth degree) is personal and subjective. If I did give you my settings you might go to your fav spot and after 5 min say this guy knows nothing and you would learn nothing. I’ve spent 3 yrs learning what I know now about rock crawling and thousands of dollars. You may learn by doing also
Unfortunately, in those 3yrs, one thing you HAVEN'T learned about RCers is being friendly, and being willing to help others. To put in simpler terms, "rude, crude, and sociable unacceptable". Having just read several of your posts in various threads, I can see that my initial assumption was correct.

Last edited by Panther6834; 11-21-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:45 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Unfortunately, in those 3yrs, one thing you HAVEN'T learned about RCers is being friendly, and being willing to help others. To put in simpler terms, "rude, crude, and sociable unacceptable". Having just read several of your posts in various threads, I can see that my initial assumption was correct.

Well sorry you feel that way but I don’t see where I was rude or crude and I did tell you a basic setup I my first post. If that’s not good enough and you don’t understand what exactly I’m trying to get you to understand well that’s too bad no more comments from me in your post
Old 11-21-2019, 07:14 PM   #12
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:

Not called for.

You asked - Solo1 answered with his opinion - You can either accept or ignore but carry on.

Crawling is a lot about personal feel, Do what works for you. Read threads and ask questions if you want to know what someone is using. If they dont give you the answer you want to hear then move on.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:17 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
...then move on.
Moving on.....

Old 11-21-2019, 07:37 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I’m using 35 wt oil with the super soft springs (the purples, not the ones in the kit) no internal limiter just spun the collars down to set the lower links to level. Like solo1 stated, my setup may not work with where you crawl so take it for what it’s worth
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:30 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Okay, keeping in mind I won’t think negatively of anyone, just want a more experienced opinion than mine. I’ve built a lot of crawlers but have never exactly mastered shock set up. I put them together, they feel good, perform good, and I’m content. That being said, I’ll bet someone more experienced than I could drive one of my rigs and immediately give me tips on shock tuning and I’d probably see even better performance. All that being said, I like slow and steady rock crawling. Which springs and what weight shock oil would be recommended....in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fishcharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:40 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

All of my rigs are pretty different when it comes to the shocks but the majority are similar enough and my capra setup was the same before I blew it apart to build a sporty so I'll talk about that.

Traxxas 2661 4" shocks with Krazedbuilds 6 hole pistons (blue front, red rear I think), light internal springs and external mini t springs and dlux spring cups along with 35 front and 30 rear oil.

This setup with dual springs acts like a sway bar and the 6 hole pistons and thicker oil do a fine and consistent job dampening without pack issues that pistons with fewer hole are prone to have.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:03 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Shock set up is good information to learn about. Since the Capra is on my Christmas list, Ill just follw along for now. Just incase Ive been bad, I might pick one up early. What's better than one Capra? Two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Traxxas 2661 4" shocks with Krazedbuilds 6 hole pistons (blue front, red rear I think), light internal springs and external mini t springs and dlux spring cups along with 35 front and 30 rear oil.

This setup with dual springs acts like a sway bar and the 6 hole pistons and thicker oil do a fine and consistent job dampening without pack issues that pistons with fewer hole are prone to have.
Thanks David I like that shock info.
Daycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:18 PM   #18

Mine for slow crawling:
Stock shock bodies, pistons, caps
60wt oil f/r (slow crawling!)
Pen springs + 2mm spacers under pistons (from Frixion Clicker pens - thet are pretty soft)
Element grey/white springs f/r (1.49 lb/in and 0.98lb/in)
No/minimum preload - pick springs to give ~50% droop
Innermost top shock position f/r

The full stock shocks are 97mm long with 32mm stroke. The pen springs I used were 5mm compressed, so added the 2mm spacer to be equivalent to a 90mm/25mm stroke shock. Advantage of the pen springs versus actual 90mm shocks is it helps to keep the shocks from being fully extended when unloading up steep obstacles. Similar reason to run no preload and pick spring rate to give desired droop - prevents overriding the pen springs. Stiiffer front spring versus rear is opposite to what many do, but since the weight is biased to the front, is needed to get similar droop. Element springs also being 63mm long are needed to allow no/low preload.

This is working very well for me, and is significantly better than it was with full stock shocks/oil/Axial green springs (or green/red/purple in various combos).

Someone asked somewhere what the Element spring rates were:
Axial Purple 0.72
Red 1.28
Green 2.41

Element
Green 0.71
White 0.95
Gray 1.49
Blue 2.09
Yellow 2.47
m59y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:31 AM   #19
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by m59y View Post
Someone asked somewhere what the Element spring rates were:
Axial Purple 0.72
Red 1.28
Green 2.41

Element
Green 0.71
White 0.95
Gray 1.49
Blue 2.09
Yellow 2.47
Thats helpful right there - Thanks.

Also to add:

Carpra Spring - 70mm long
Element Spring - 63mm long

Last edited by Robbob; 11-23-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:36 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I'm using 3.5" Dravtechs with soft springs and 25wt oil. I had 35wt in it, but that was too heavy for this light rig.
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote

Capra Shocks, Springs, and Oil Weights - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
oil shocks w/leaf springs (no coil springs) VR6 BeelzeDub G-Made Sawback 9 05-18-2016 07:52 AM
King shocks, what are u guys running for oil? springs? FordFixer Axial SCX-10 5 04-06-2016 09:32 AM
Losi Alum Shocks - Oil weights & spacers Question kraegar Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 2 12-15-2008 11:50 AM
what oil have to use with stock shocks and four white soft springs?? calibra3 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 11-14-2007 10:59 AM