Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: What powers your Capra?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2019, 04:21 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default What powers your Capra?

Ok, it sounds like Santa is definitely bringing me a Capra for Christmas. With that in mind, I’ve started to pre-order some parts.

I’ve held off on motor/esc combo - not sure I wanna take this build brushed or brushless.

Just looking for a casual consensus on what people are running and having success with.

Brushed, I’d be going with a Hobbywing 1080 and a Crawlmaster 20T (have them in the parts bin)

Brushless, I probably go PullerPro 2200kv, or possibly another Revolver.

Anyway, just looking for some feedback from Capra owners. Thanks guys!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2019, 05:39 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: What powers your Capra?

With brushless you can gear it for crawling on 3s and some sweet jumps on 6s.

Just swap out the battery. That is if you can find a 6s that fits.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:10 AM   #3
Gold Star Baby!

I started with a HW1080 and a Reedy Radon 2 16T, I needed more drag brake out of that set up so I ended up picking a Holmes crawlmaster expert 16T and it was a big difference.

Going to stay with that set up for a while but I did pick up a used mamba x and another revolver this weekend and those may find their way into the Capra sooner or later. So far I am happy with the Holmes crawlmaster expert so there is not an urgent need to change.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:18 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

10-4 Topher - Thanks!
Old 12-09-2019, 06:40 AM   #5
Go Buckeyes!

Nice! Sounds like you are on Santa's good list!

I'm running the HW 1080 ESC with the new HH Crawlmaster Sport 540 16T.

I decided to go brushed on this build since all of my other rigs are brushless. I knew going into the Capra build that there was not much room inside the cage, so I figured the HW 1080 would be a good choice.

I chose the new Crawlmaster Sport because the price was just to hard to beat and knowing how good HH products are I figured it would be a good match with the HW.

Sadly I have not had a chance to take the Capra out for its first run (thanks to work, the weather and the Christmas time madness), so I can't say how this setup will work. I did run it around in my basement to check to make sure everything was put together ok and it seemed to work fairly well.

Looking forward to seeing your new Christmas present!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:44 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

HW1080 and a YR 12t 5 slot motor in mine. Smooth and plenty of power. I haven plenty of drag brake in mine, I only have the 1080 set to 70% IIRC and it's just enough to roll slightly on really steep inclines (I don't like to lock the wheels - too abrupt imo)
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Nice! Sounds like you are on Santa's good list!

I'm running the HW 1080 ESC with the new HH Crawlmaster Sport 540 16T.

I decided to go brushed on this build since all of my other rigs are brushless. I knew going into the Capra build that there was not much room inside the cage, so I figured the HW 1080 would be a good choice.

I chose the new Crawlmaster Sport because the price was just to hard to beat and knowing how good HH products are I figured it would be a good match with the HW.

Sadly I have not had a chance to take the Capra out for its first run (thanks to work, the weather and the Christmas time madness), so I can't say how this setup will work. I did run it around in my basement to check to make sure everything was put together ok and it seemed to work fairly well.

Looking forward to seeing your new Christmas present!

With how nice yours turned out Brian, I'd almost hesitate taking it out! Looks freak'n awesome. You definitely set a high bar for me!
Old 12-09-2019, 09:18 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
HW1080 and a YR 12t 5 slot motor in mine. Smooth and plenty of power. I haven plenty of drag brake in mine, I only have the 1080 set to 70% IIRC and it's just enough to roll slightly on really steep inclines (I don't like to lock the wheels - too abrupt imo)

All good feedback guys and I appreciate it. In the interest of some "pop" and on demand wheelspeed, going with Hobbywing XeRun Axe system.

I figure I'll throw the XeRun system in during the build and see what I think. I can always revert to the 1080 and 20T Crawlmaster I have on hand and throw the XeRun system into another rig if I don't care for it in the Capra.

Can't wait to get started on this sucker. That said, I'm not going to document much if any of the build on here since it's already been done numerous times. I will be posting updates and build notes to my Instagram though, so drop by and check it out!

Ordered so Far:

VP Method 105's with .350 hubs

HobbyWing XeRun 2300kv Brushless System

The much maligned Spektrum micro dig servo (Will upgrade to Reef's if it craps the bed)

3BrosRC direct power steering servo (pre-orderd/back ordered)

RC4WD Interco IROK's SS compound - 4.64"H x 1.84"W(The height & width on these hit the sweet spot imho - we'll see about performance. I've had really good success with my RC4WD Compass's on the Truggy though)

CI Foams - Per Ed; CWR-2024 front, CWR-2025 rear

Last edited by mewalsh100; 12-15-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:47 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Congrats on the build. I think the Axe will work great. I've got a Mamba X with a Stubby PP 2200kv in mine. Make sure that the endbell doesn't hit on the lower link mount, it's a tight squeeze with a standard length can.
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:37 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
All good feedback guys and I appreciate it. In the interest of some "pop" and on demand wheelspeed, I ended up ordering a Hobbywing XeRun System this morning. 2300kv. (Green Monday deals at Amain - whatever that is)

I figure I'll throw the XeRun system in during the build and see what I think. I can always revert to the 1080 and 20T Crawlmaster I have on hand and throw the XeRun system into another rig if I don't care for it in the Capra.

Can't wait to get started on this sucker. That said, I'm not going to document much if any of the build on here since it's already been done numerous times. I will be posting updates and build notes to my Instagram though, so drop by and check it out!

Ordered so Far:

VP Method 105's with .350 hubs

HobbyWing XeRun 2300kv Brushless System

The much maligned Spektrum micro dig servo (Will upgrade to Reef's if it craps the bed)

3BrosRC direct power steering servo (pre-orderd/back ordered)

RC4WD Interco IROK's SS compound - 4.64"H x 1.84"W(The height & width on these hit the sweet spot imho - we'll see about performance. I've had really good success with my RC4WD Compass's on the Truggy though)

CI Foams - Per Ed; CWR-2024 front, CWR-2025 rear
Currently have the Hobbywing 1080W and Holmes Crawlmaster Pro 16-turn in my rig. This particular motor has two sets of mounting holes on its can that allowed me to use a 9-tooth pinion without any other mods. Have a Hobbywing Axe 2300 waiting on the sidelines; But, have not found a need to install it yet.

Using Reefs 444 Steering and 99 Micro servos.

Vanquish 105 wheels exclusively have 1.0" wide wheel clamp rings included; whereas, all the other Vanquish 1.9 wheel types come with 0.80" wide rings. Not sure what you need to do with the foams and tires to deal with that extra ring width. However, Crawler Innovations makes something called a "tuning disc" that could be used to fill any extra side space created by the wider ring. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Still Bill; 12-09-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:07 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

10-4; Thanks Still Bill!
Old 12-10-2019, 06:03 AM   #12
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
With how nice yours turned out Brian, I'd almost hesitate taking it out! Looks freak'n awesome. You definitely set a high bar for me!
Well thanks, but I've seen your rigs!

You have some pretty sweet builds! I'm positive your Capra will turn out to be awesome!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:10 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashlee View Post
Congrats on the build. I think the Axe will work great. I've got a Mamba X with a Stubby PP 2200kv in mine. Make sure that the endbell doesn't hit on the lower link mount, it's a tight squeeze with a standard length can.
Thanks! Appreciate the heads up.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:11 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Well thanks, but I've seen your rigs!

You have some pretty sweet builds! I'm positive your Capra will turn out to be awesome!
I’m hopin so! Still trying to figure out a color scheme.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Ok, so I’m going back and forth on the power plant. My thought right now is to rob the Mamba-X / 1800kv Revolver out of the TRX and throw that in the Capra. Primary reason being is the 4S packs I have will fit in the Capra, whereas my current 3S packs will not. (The Mamba will handle 4S, and the HW XeRun AXE system will not.)

I also think the Revolver would benefit more from the 4S in terms of wheelspeed and pop, and the HW system looks like it will do just fine on 3s, which the TRX has all the room in the world for those packs.

The big plus here would be not having to buy several new 3S packs that fit in the Capra to run the Hobbywing system.

What are your thoughts guys? Having never run a Capra, I’m kinda throwin darts in the dark. My guess is the Revolver will be pretty stellar in the Capra, just as it is in the TRX.

What powers your Capra? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Powers Your Wraith? cencal Axial Wraith 315 03-04-2022 01:02 PM
what powers your xl? TJ36s Axial Yeti XL 15 08-16-2015 07:41 AM
Powers Clod gunder463 Tamiya Clod Buster 2 05-14-2014 05:43 PM
What powers your TF2 geislerj3 RC4WD Trail Finder 2 23 04-07-2014 12:02 PM
anyone used team powers? muddinscx Electronics 2 09-08-2011 11:13 AM