Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Capra Radio Recommendation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2020, 09:58 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Capra Radio Recommendation

I have gotten back into RC after many years and picked up a TRX4 Blazer. Ive been having fun with it, but the Capra has caught my eye so it will need to be added to the stable. I plan on doing a kit version and have started to gather parts for it. I have a HW1080, HH 16t CrawlMaster Sport and Savox 1210SG that will go in at first. I am looking for a radio recommendation. I would like to use the dig in three positions and am interested in MAYBE converting to 4ws. The FlySky/Turnigy GT5 and Spektrum DX5 series are two options that i think will work.

What is everyone using? Pros? Cons?
splyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2020, 10:53 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Capra Radio Recommendation

If you're willing to spend a little extra, there's not much better (if there's anything better) than the Futaba 7PX. If that's too rock for your blood, the less-expensive alternates would be the Futaba 4PM. It has most of the functions of the 7PX, including multiple 4WS options. While neither has any 3-way switches (for 3-position DIG), you can easily program any dial to act as a 3-way switch. The biggest advantages of the 7PX, over the 4PM, are 7 channels (4PM had only 4), and the touch-screen display. As an added "bonus", if you decided to use any Futaba S.bus/S.bus2 servos, unlike other Futaba transmitters (which require a separate programming card to program S.bus/S.bus2 servos), the 4PM & 7PX can program S.bus/S.bus2 servos directly from the Rx's built-in JR port.

A lot of people 'complain' about the higher cost (compared to, say, Sanwa/Airtronics) of Futaba transmitters, but they rarely consider the long-term costs. Yes, you can purchase a Sanwa/Airtronics Tx for slightly more than half the cost of a Futaba...but (here's where Sanwa/Airtronics, and some others, "get you"), their receivers can coat twice as much. It's this factor that helped me decide to get the 7PX. If I were to never have (at one time) more than 6 vehicles, Sanwa/Airtronics might have been the better route. However, knowing that there was a very high probability that I would have at least 7 vehicles (right now, between my land & water based vehicles/vessels, I have over a dozen) at any given time, going with Futaba is, by far, the less costly route to have gone. With Futaba, I've spent a little over $500 on receivers...with Sanwa/Airtronics, on receivers, alone, I would have already spent over $1,000.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:44 PM   #3
RCC Addict

For what it’s worth, I’m running a Dx5c, hard to beat for the money. I’ve got a 6100at receiver in my Trx4 running the 2 speed and lockers and light module.
PowerHD tr4 micros for the trans and lockers
I’ve also got my Capra dig setup as a 3pos that works great with no servo saver. As well as the 2 speed and 3pos dig on my scx10.3
Align ds450 micros for both digs and 2 speed.
Everything running 7.4v

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:01 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Went crawling with someone last weekend that has a Spektrum DX5 Rugged and it seems pretty nice for the price.

I have a DX5R (not made any more) and have it set up just like Fricker08 (above). It works great.
BR549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:06 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I have the Flysky FS-GT5 and absolutely love it.
NeoPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:39 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I used to run the Nomadio React Radios back in the day (10ish years ago. lol) Great Radios. They went tits up around 2011. Still have 2 actually.

Spekys were ok, but I preferred Futaba/Nomadio at that time.

I just got back in a bit ago. Started with the RC Gen8 Axe with came with the GT5 Flysky 6chl radio. Its a really decent radio. And for 80.00 is very affordable, 6cnl and full of options. One being a Crawl Mode for those that do run 4WS being a bonus.

However, another option is the Radiolink RC6GS. it is also 6cnls, has Telemetry for car battery voltage with the new 7cnl rxs, is very programmable offering mixing on all chnls, so setting RWS will be easy. the TX can take a 3s Lipo pack. I have a 2300 3s 15c Turnigy Lipo in mine. And its 75.00 and the new units come with the new 7cnl rxs as well. Rxs are around 25.00 for the 7chnl and a non gyro 6chnl rx can be had for around 15.00 for a no prep rig (no gyro is generally required).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DPNNTWT...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Personally I would forgo the Specky or even a Futaba. These two radio options are very capable, and inexpensive. Not Cheap, just inexpensive.

Last edited by Timmahh; 07-29-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:51 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I like the idea of the more inexpensive Flysky and RadioLink. The RadioLink is catching my attention more due to the mix programming and options for choosing what channel on the TX to use for the mix. gotta research some more.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:13 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Do they make a rechargeable battery pack for the Radiolink? It's kind of odd with 6 AA batteries.
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:13 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmeow View Post
Do they make a rechargeable battery pack for the Radiolink? It's kind of odd with 6 AA batteries.
The Radiolink's battery tray comes out so yes, you can install a rechargeable pack.

It also will run on 3S or even 4s (it handles from 6v to 15v, and on 4s is how they can claim the 500/600 meter distance).
I have mine running on a Turnigy 2500 3s pack. I had to trim just a little bit of the front inner rib pieces out of the way. No issue with case integrity etc, its solid, but needed the extra room to slip the pack all the way down into the battery cavity.

Last edited by Timmahh; 07-31-2020 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:22 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I disagree with using a super high end radio with a crawler. I race with my 7PXR but I run my crawlers on a DX5c. The 7PXR is my baby and wouldnt think of sitting it on rocks or dirt to change a crawler battery or do a trail repair. The DX5c will do anything you need to do with a crawler.
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:17 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
I have mine running on a Turnigy 2300 3s pack.
Is that a flat pack? I have tons of 3S 2200 but they are (dynamite) stick pack as I fly planes.
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:17 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmeow View Post
Is that a flat pack? I have tons of 3S 2200 but they are (dynamite) stick pack as I fly planes.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Turnigy-nan...72.m2749.l2649

ya, 3s 2500 flat pack

FWIW, no one said not using a High End Radio isn't beneficial.

I however did say, there is no need to spend 300, or even 150.00 to get a High End Radio today.

Some things eleronic are fine using the inexpensive stuff. Somethings aren't. lol

The FlySky and Radiolink are every bit of the radio Futaba, Nomadio, or Spectrum is, Just Far less expensive for what these other 3 charge top dollar for.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:53 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Thank you for all of your comments. i think i have decided on the RadioLink. It s quite possibly the ugliest radio i have seen (i hate the LOUD branding on it) and that antenna is awful, but i like the flexibility of the mixing and choosing which channel for which control. Also the price doesnt hurt.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:01 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I plan on moving my antenna to the front similar to the fly sky to get it up and out of the way a bit and make it less likely to break off when not in use (not that that has been a problem that I have found anywhere, just concerns)
Ya, it reminds me of the 2008 Spectrum radios in terms of shape.

the new V2s have moved two of the buttons (3 and 4 I think) to the handle for use with Your Thumb. When I ordered mine in early April, they were still shipping V1 Radios but with Updated Firmware. Looks like the V2s have been shipping now since the end of June. I'll probably sell my V1, and buy the v2, even though I've only used it a few times. Had I known there was a v2 coming, I would have waited to buy mine a few months.

But Alas, no harm no foul.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:43 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

i saw that post on the forum about the V2 right after i ordered it from amazon. well, V1 was delivered but amazon made it so easy to return, i immediately ordered another (following the instructions from the forum post) and returned the first. hopefully i receive a V2.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:14 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

just received my V2 using the link from radiolink has released version 2 rc6gs. like stated in the post, the V2 is not advertised on the amazon page, but they did in fact deliver a V2. im excited to start using it, but i dont have the kit yet.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:51 AM   #17

I am bit new, and looking for instructions to set up the dx5c to my capra for the dig unit. Does anyone know where I can find those instructions? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Sabrina76rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:17 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Radiolink RC6GS V2 is the cats miao ;)
https://www.youtube.com/858e661c-14a...a-894712f62734
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:26 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

i switched to a RC4gs with a R7FG receiver (for telemetry) and i like it a bit better. I can upload the rc6gs firmware and add a switch if i need to, but so far it is working exactly as expected. ill be swapping out the electronics in my TRX4 and ill used the Rc6GS for that.

Capra Radio Recommendation - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VFD Capra...Can I Still Call It A Capra? mjensen Axial Capra 107 11-20-2021 03:56 AM
how to program futaba 4PX radio to run dig servo on axial capra Dmcclellan007 Newbie General 9 05-16-2020 03:21 PM
Motor recommendation? Big Worm Electronics 3 11-30-2013 08:54 AM
tq3 ? and 4ch radio recommendation pantablo Electronics 6 12-10-2008 06:13 PM
Need radio recommendation rcr3fan29 Newbie General 5 06-14-2006 08:56 PM