Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: What's the Capra good for?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2020, 09:27 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default What's the Capra good for?

I know the Capra is a purpose built rock crawler, but how good is it for those of us who want a little speed? I've never been particularly into the crawling aspect--I just want a new vehicle that can go anywhere that can still go fast when I'm not hiking through the woods.

I already have an SCX10-II and I worry the Wraith is an obsolete platform whose days are numbered. Also, the Capra seems a little wide--does anyone have the axle widths for Axial's current offerings? Can you even swap axles between the different models?What would you get if you desire the most modern engineering and mod-ability?
Benbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2020, 09:44 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: What's the Capra good for?

Some many things.....
Yup, its a rock crawler, and its very good at it. If you don't care for crawling, why buy a crawler?
Can a Capra go fast? Yup, put a good sensored brushless system in it and you can have both, creepy crawly and speed.

As for width. Its wider than an scx10.2 (AR44 axles) but narrower than a wraith (AR60 axles). With the portals, 1.9's fit it well. The cage is much smaller than a wraith or bomber. That's why the axles appear wide.

For the record. You can make just about any RC crawler a "jack of all trades". But usually that means it wont be great at any one thing.
raul shabinguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:05 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benbot View Post
I know the Capra is a purpose built rock crawler, but how good is it for those of us who want a little speed? I've never been particularly into the crawling aspect--I just want a new vehicle that can go anywhere that can still go fast when I'm not hiking through the woods.

I already have an SCX10-II and I worry the Wraith is an obsolete platform whose days are numbered. Also, the Capra seems a little wide--does anyone have the axle widths for Axial's current offerings? Can you even swap axles between the different models?What would you get if you desire the most modern engineering and mod-ability?

Obviously the Capra was designed, engineered and produced to be a rock crawler. Could you make it go fast? Sure. (fast of course being a relative term. It's never going to be as fast as say an SC Truck, Buggy, etc.) Also, it's really not going to handle very well at speed, since that is not what it was really intended for, nor it's suspension and geometry designed around. To me, it sounds like you'd be pretty satisfied with more of a Rock Racer platform like the Losi Rock Rey. Ability to crawl a bit, certainly to bash, and capable of some pretty impressive speed as well.

As far as the Wraith goes, even if Horizon decides to ax it from the line, it won't be a problem. You'll be able to build a Wraith from the ground up for years to come due to the sheer volume of aftermarket available for it.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:08 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Adding onto everything Raul said, in using the stock axles, you can always 'adjust' the vehicle's overall width by using aftermarket wheels & different hubs. With Vanquish hubs, 225s work quite well. If you read through the various build threads (including mine), you'll notice that a lot of people have gone the route of 1.9 tires on 2.2 wheels.

Regarding the "slow vs fast" aspect (and, quickly pointing out that I am still somewhat of a crawler newb, coming from off-road race vehicles), for my first crawler, I was looking for the same thing you're currently looking for - a vehicle that can be a crawler, as well as a (suedo) 'rock racer'. Design-wise, I found that in the Capra...ESC-wise, I found that in the CC Mamba X. With the Aux wire (plug it into any open channel on your Rx), and any available 2-way switch/button on your Rx, your can instantly switch the ESC between "rock crawler" and "rock racer" modes. This, this has no effect on the speed of the vehicle, but it does change the throttle, and especially the breaking, characteristics.

Personally, even though I'm in the process of building a Trail King Pro, and will soon start on a TF2, I decided early in that I liked the Capra so much, I'm currently building a second for Class 3, and will soon start a third for U4. Those last two prove what you're thread is about - that the Capra can be a (slow) crawler, as well as a (faster) rock racer. On that note, maybe I should call my Capra 'Sybil', as the Capra truly can have multiple personalities.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:41 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the advice, you guys are great! Another thing, are the Capra axles compatible with the Wraith 1.9? I don't have either vehicle so I don't know where the linkages line up on the axles. I like the axle design, portals, and the in-between width, but I'm not in love with the Capra's style. I think I would have more room for a full interior if I had a Wraith and I prefer the overall style of the body/cage on it.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:11 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, you guys are great! Another thing, are the Capra axles compatible with the Wraith 1.9? I don't have either vehicle so I don't know where the linkages line up on the axles. I like the axle design, portals, and the in-between width, but I'm not in love with the Capra's style. I think I would have more room for a full interior if I had a Wraith and I prefer the overall style of the body/cage on it.

I don't think you'd run in to too many problems getting them fitted to the 1.9 Wraith. It's just going to be a matter of getting your link lengths correct, and having an assortment of rod-end lengths and styles available; I.E., straight, bent. I recently did a Wroncho build and bought straight and bent rod-end packages in varying lengths. It was awesome to have the assortment on hand while figuring out the lengths I needed, and resolving any binding issues I encountered while mocking everything up.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:42 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Another thing, are the Capra axles compatible with the Wraith 1.9?
What transmission? scx10/wraith 3-gear style or the new Capra tranny? The gear reduction will be very different, depending on which you choose.
raul shabinguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:22 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul shabinguez View Post
What transmission? scx10/wraith 3-gear style or the new Capra tranny? The gear reduction will be very different, depending on which you choose.
That brings up a good point...and, strangely enough, I was just about to search for an answer to that very question, and, if I couldn't find one, I would create a new thread. But, since you mentioned it, what are the gear ratio differences? Additionally, will PM you with some specific questions, so as to not 'hijack' the thread.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Last edited by Panther6834; 02-19-2020 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:30 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I'm thinking of using a stock 1.9 Wraith, transmission and all, and bolting on the Capra axles. That's about as far as I've planned this.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:52 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm thinking of using a stock 1.9 Wraith, transmission and all, and bolting on the Capra axles. That's about as far as I've planned this.
If that's the AX10-style 3-gear, there's are a few 3D printed Capra skids available, with pre-drilled/countersunk holes in place for that trans. InTheWorks has one, and there are a few though Thingiverse & Shapeways.

What's the Capra good for? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OS's Capra OSRC Axial Capra 38 03-10-2021 10:49 PM
Capra’s on 2.2 solo1 Axial Capra 10 12-22-2020 02:30 AM
Used Capra Jbird123 General Crawlers 9 12-28-2019 04:50 PM
Capra with 2.2s Mr. Crawley EC Tires and Wheels 5 12-17-2019 07:06 AM
Capra 2.2 mccarsones Axial Capra 23 10-19-2019 03:19 PM