Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: not digging my capra!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2020, 07:26 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default not digging my capra!

If you came in this thread expecting me to be complaining about my capra, you have been sorely misled.

If you came to this thread looking for info or just to watch a capra be made without dig, you are in the right spot!

my plan is to make a simple and lightweight capra using the old scx/ax10 trans and a conversion skid (its a prototype right now but i will spill the beans when we know it works as intended).

I wont compete with this rig (atleast i dont plan on it right now) but i will be using it to refine my throttle control and climbing skills.

I will be building my capra along side my fiance who will be building her first RC kit ever, its an element enduro but it will probably still make an appearance here from time to time.

so buckle in and sit tight because its going to be a very long and boring ride
onebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2020, 08:39 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: not digging my capra!

Awesome, you got me hook, line and sinker... as I’ve been reading threads about Capra’s, Bomber’s, Wraith’s and the like...

I’m watching now! It’s awesome that your fiancé is building a rig at the same time. Now awaiting pics :-)
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:56 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like what you're planning is similar to what I'm currently building...Capra cage, modified skid, 3-gear trans, SCX10.2 axles w/ portals...and no dig. Enjoy.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:24 AM   #4

As soon as I read the title I thought "did" so you didn't dupe me.

via GIPHY

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:33 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

first update, its a short one. Thing arent starting off so great and im a little bummed.

got everything out and gave it a good look, its got me excited to progress through the build. The cage looks awesome as well as the axles

I started with the axles first, i was most excited to get my hands on them and they are the first thing in the instruction book.

here is what has me bummed and why my update isnt including more progress. SOMETHING in the front diff isnt happy. I took everything apart 3 times and spun it all independently of each other but something still isnt right. Initially i thought i didnt use enough grease so i added more and its still not happy.

I can spin the diff ring gear freely when i have the 3rd member off and it seems fine, i add the 3rd member and the pinion and it feels a bit notchy at times but it still spins pretty good.

I put together the portal boxes and verified they spin freely with no hang ups on either side. I slide the drive shaft into the diff and try to spin the stub axle and its impossible to turn by hand. I had to put a hex driver through the stub axle to spin it and its notchy and loud and then if you spin it the opposite way its worse and at times just locks. When you spin at the diff its better but still notchy and rough. I tried loosening the 3rd member and the portal covers to make sure nothing was binding there but its still a problem..... i am stumped

stopping for the night in hopes that somebody here can suggest something i didnt try and might fix it. I got my links from in the works RC this afternoon so i figure i will put them together while i watch tv.

thanks in advance for any insight you guys might have.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:34 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
As soon as I read the title I thought "did" so you didn't dupe me.

via GIPHY

darn, you are just too good!
Old 02-22-2020, 08:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebullet View Post
darn, you are just too good!

Got lucky! LOL

Or, as my grandfather used to say, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:09 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Ive heard of people removing all grease and ins tdd ead using toothpaste for a break in run to polish all the gears.
Gula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:21 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

i posted my woes on a facebook group and was told that once the drive shaft is on and pinion depth is set it will be smoother.... makes sense to me so i will find out today hopefully
Old 02-23-2020, 01:00 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

another short post

got some time to tinker today so i put all the links on the axles. Also put on my chinese servo.

I started building the shocks but after messing with the c clips for a bit i decided it would be worth it to just buy some that are put together already. Anybody have any suggestions?

after i got the links sorted i moved onto the trans and skid.... easiest step so far!

If you cant tell i didnt stick with the directions here. I am using an upgraded scx/ax10 trans and a conversion skid made by fishs crawler parts. I dont think he has them on the site yet but if you ask him on facebook or email him he can hook you up with one. This skid made life easier compared to what some others are doing and so far it is working out pretty great.

Next was attaching some axles to the skid, i got the back one completely on and hooked up to the trans with some scx10 drive shafts but then i had to head inside because i was getting cold. Not sure when i will be able to work on this more but when i do i will post more pictures and info.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:10 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

got the front axle attached to the skid

figured out they sent me some wrong cage pieces so now i have to wait on that.... ugh

in other news my fiance is buzzing along pretty well on her enduro, she got so far as putting the axles under it tonight.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:00 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Is the skid 3d printed? Whats the material?

Last edited by Drm31078; 03-03-2020 at 08:11 PM.
Drm31078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:36 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Like the skid. I am curious about something - why the transmission holes on both sides? Other than the holes, the 'left' half of a mirror image of the 'right' half, and the 'front' half of a mirror image of the 'rear' half. If someone wants to "flip" the transmission, all they would need to do is rotate the skid 180 degrees.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:16 AM   #14

The Capra axles and transmission aren't the smoothest. I don't ever remember Axial axles being smooth with the cast gears. They will wear in though. With these hypoid gears shimming is much more important than with straight cut gears.

I just noticed you are from Bloomsburg. Bloomsburg, PA?
Old 03-05-2020, 12:31 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm31078 View Post
Is the skid 3d printed? Whats the material?

yes 3d printed. Not sure on the material. I was told its the strongest stuff he could get so im guessing it will hold up to atleast a little abuse
Old 03-05-2020, 12:31 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Like the skid. I am curious about something - why the transmission holes on both sides? Other than the holes, the 'left' half of a mirror image of the 'right' half, and the 'front' half of a mirror image of the 'rear' half. If someone wants to "flip" the transmission, all they would need to do is rotate the skid 180 degrees.

not really sure.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:32 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The Capra axles and transmission aren't the smoothest. I don't ever remember Axial axles being smooth with the cast gears. They will wear in though. With these hypoid gears shimming is much more important than with straight cut gears.

I just noticed you are from Bloomsburg. Bloomsburg, PA?

yep, bloomsburg pa. Right on the border with buckhorn
Old 03-09-2020, 06:34 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

got my shocks today. Have some choodoos in the mail that should be here thursday. I am hesitant to mount the cage to the skid because i dont have electronics or paint yet and i dont want to take it all apart.....

not digging my capra! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
steering digging in renlo Axial SCX-10 2 08-21-2014 08:45 PM
Bad digging? Krawler23 Electronics 7 02-18-2012 07:16 PM
not digging YANGOS Team Losi Comp Crawler 3 02-13-2011 07:48 PM
digging Kratos Tires and Wheels 10 04-01-2010 05:48 AM
Digging outside the box Metal Masher General Crawlers 33 08-25-2008 08:29 PM