Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: The Birth of A Scx10 and Capra: My ScxCapra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2020, 02:30 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default The Birth of A Scx10 and Capra: My ScxCapra

Hello, everyone this is my first real thread on here, but I have been watching from the sidelines for a bit. Well here goes nothing. This build all started at Axialfest 2019 where some were allowed to go see Axial's soon-to-be released Capra. I saw that it had portals and wider and narrower than Scx10.1 housings(which are the only ones I had prior). I knew I had to get a new truck going. So after the release of the Capra I went to ebay searching for Capra axles but only found a rear. That meant that I had to piece together my own front axle(which at the time and still probably is way more expensive than a complete axle, but they did not have that at the time). But now here 5 months later I have slowly collecting parts and I'll start with that and update as I go along.

Parts List:
[Frame and Suspension]
Proline Pro-Spec Shocks
Lunsford 4mm Titanium Turnbuckles(For Links) w/ Revo Rodends
Salinas Designs Skid
Custom Electronics and Battery Tray(On order from Shapeways)
Carbon Frame Rails(I'm not sure what kind a friend gave them to me off of his old truck, but I know it's someone in Norcal and if you know let me know and I'll uodate it!)

[Drivetrain]
Capra Axles front and rear
Viaton Portal Covers
OG Style Scx10 Transmission(with some goodies)
Honcho Length WB8 Driveshafts

[Wheels and Tires]
Proline Km3's 4.19
Vanquish Method 101's w/350 hubs
Crawler Innovations Foams

[Body]
Proline 2007 Silverado for Solid Axle Monster Truck
Scaler Fab Comp Front Bumper
Interior (don't know what to do yet and suggestions feel free to leave them; thinking 2D)

[Electronics]
Holmes BR Mini Esc WP
Holmes Crawlmaster Expert 16T
Hitec D955 TW Servo
CC BEC
Spektrum SR210R Reciever

The goal with the truck is to just have a really capable truck, that has some scale accessories and still a little bit of a challenge with tiny tires. Any comments, questions, and/or suggestions I am a free book!!!

Last edited by common rock crawler; 04-06-2020 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Updating Parts List
common rock crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2020, 09:41 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: The Birth of A Scx10 and Capra: My ScxCapra

Hey guys and gals! I hope everyone is staying busy and well during this crazy time. Well just a quick update today. I received my new skid plate from Salinas Designs, which will allow me to run the used OG Scx10 trans I have with the Capra axles.

Some pictures of the new skid(Sorry in advance for the grainy phone pics):

This is a cool piece with the brass inserts and pre-countersunk holes. Also, this skid plate is 36g compared to the delrin one that was on it which was 47g. Not a huge difference but that weight is down low.

Another thing not major, but I had to use a 1mm spacer and the thinest washer I had to shim them so wouldn't shift side to side:

Last thing for tonight. A quick comparison of the two:

Thanks for reading and I hope to update y'all in the coming days!
Old 04-01-2020, 08:19 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Hello, everyone another quick update for today. Received my Proline Prospecs today and just wanted to update.
The Goods:

I normally start pretty soft with my setup so we will see how these springs feel and I'm running 40 and 45wt, front and rear respectively:

Also, I had to shave the mount for the front body post to bring them closer so it wasn't spreading out the frame rails.
And some nice stills for today too:

Thanks for reading!!!
Old 04-06-2020, 11:09 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Hey guys hope everyone is doing good! Nothing crazy in the past few days; ordered some more parts and just waiting on those. Just two things really I did shaved down the mount for the body post to bring them in with the holes I already drilled. And then I had to cut down the front driveshaft because it wouldn't allow the suspension to compress all the way. I'll have another update most likely tonight or tomorrow morning. Thanks for reading!!!
Old 04-06-2020, 03:45 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Hi everyone!! Hope everyone is staying safe during this time but just updating with some pictures. First off I have some after I trimmed down the front driveshaft:

Then up next I had to trim the front of the frame rails in order to get the proper fitment I wanted for the front bumper. And here's how that came out.
Before:

After:

Later I will probaly trim those little ears that are hanging down still but for now it's perfect.

Last thing for today is I wanted to come up with a way to hide the rear body pins. So i found this tray and if I'm not mistaken it is from a Wraith:

And then I found a few scale accesories from Roberts RC(Look them up on facebook they make killer light bars and pretty much anything 3D printed.)
edit:(Found the link https://www.facebook.com/robertsrclighting/ )
Then I found this random 3D printed piece and some rare-earth magnets and here we are:

For now the sand ramps are just glued together because I was too lazy too figure out a secure way of keeping them on and/or removing them.Then on the truck:

I just glued one magnet to the bottom side of the tray and the other will be help in the truck with hot glue but once it gets painted. Thanks for reading!!!
Old 04-13-2020, 04:17 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Finally got my new wheels in and mounted as well. Also I received my new portal covers too and the new wheels and covers looks amazing.

And then how it looks all mounted on the wheel:

Thanks for reading and hope y'all are doing well!!!
Old 04-13-2020, 04:43 PM   #7

Cool looking truck. Is this going to be Class 3?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:43 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Cool looking truck. Is this going to be Class 3?
Thank you sir! And to answer your question sort of. I am aiming for a Class 3 style build, but I know I won't be competitive without running a some crazy scale accesories to try and bring the points down. I just want a fun truck that is easy to drive and can pretty much crawl up anything. But yes I wish it could be more Class 3-ish with an interior, but I haven't found one that will fit.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by common rock crawler View Post
Thank you sir! And to answer your question sort of. I am aiming for a Class 3 style build, but I know I won't be competitive without running a some crazy scale accesories to try and bring the points down. I just want a fun truck that is easy to drive and can pretty much crawl up anything. But yes I wish it could be more Class 3-ish with an interior, but I haven't found one that will fit.
I don't compete either, but it would be cool to have a super capable rig like this.

Why can't you find an interior that will fit? Is it because it interferes with the transmission or because it won't fit in the body? Maybe a Capra interior would fit?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:33 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I don't compete either, but it would be cool to have a super capable rig like this.

Why can't you find an interior that will fit? Is it because it interferes with the transmission or because it won't fit in the body? Maybe a Capra interior would fit?
Yea I think it would interfere with the top of the transmission because I have the body sitting so low, but I was thinking either a Capra or a Bomber interior would maybe work.

Okay so update time! I received my electronics and battery mount that I drew up from shapeways and here they are(not the fanciest design but it will get the job done):

And just had to trim them battery mount and drill the holes to mount and here we go:

I don't know how well the rubberbands will work but the way the mount work is the battery pivots on the servo so the straps need to pivot too. Now I was going to take pictures of my wiring start to finish, but I kind of just got in the groove and I just cranked it out so here are some pictures of that and it runs:

Just a couple more things might change the pinion and spur to get a little bit more top end speed with 16t 5-slot. But after this it is just body stuff and shock tuning and maybe weight if it is needed, but we shall see. Thank you for reading!!!

Tags
capra, scale build, scx10 1.9

The Birth of A Scx10 and Capra: My ScxCapra - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Capra scx10 Brandonr Axial Capra 2 12-25-2019 12:08 PM
The birth of a tool Mayhem Eng. Chit Chat 22 01-01-2013 10:06 AM
Oly's Birth Monkeyboy Tamiya Clod Buster 22 07-08-2006 01:44 PM
Separated at birth? jason Chit Chat 19 04-22-2006 04:18 PM