Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: rbronco's Capra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2020, 11:11 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default rbronco's Capra

I don't have anything groundbreaking to share, and builds have been covered here, so I'm just going to document the small differences I am making. I'm excited to get this guy on the rocks, but am having some issues getting it running. Check out my thread here if you can offer some help.
New Capra build and my motor cuts out

I'm pretty proud of this fuel cell and am thinking of adding a filler and some plumbing.

I clearanced my SSD brass to clear Axial UMG10 wheels. I need to finish my panels before deciding on wheel color, so they're not mounted up yet.

Last edited by rbronco21; 05-27-2020 at 10:09 PM. Reason: pic size
rbronco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2020, 12:04 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: rbronco's Capra

Nice, especially the fuel cell...it'spuuuuurdy.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:15 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Fuel cell looks great
crazy nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:29 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Good news, a BEC got me running. I tidied up the wiring today and got it out on the rocks for the first time! Guess I should have taken pictures of it outside.

That's tidy, right? At least I feel like I can drop the skid without taking the whole thing apart. I had the receiver on the passenger side under where the dash would be and it was too cluttered and tangled. I may have to make some adjustments when I get the interior panel finished. Hopefully the ESC clears it.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:53 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Finally getting close to painting the panels. Original plan was to make paint inside to look like aluminum to shine through scratches, then cover the outside with orange, black, and gray/gunmetal. Now I've decided the aluminum looks too good to cover completely. Here is the current state and the concepts I'm looking at. The paint lines follow the lines in the panels.

I think I'm most partial to the first concept, but I'm open to suggestions.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:54 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Just curious why you wouldn't have painted entirely from the inside, starting with black, then the orange, and painting the sliver last. That's topically how Lexan is painted - inside, dark to light.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2020, 11:10 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Just curious why you wouldn't have painted entirely from the inside, starting with black, then the orange, and painting the sliver last. That's topically how Lexan is painted - inside, dark to light.

I wanted to try out the scaler trick of putting another color inside. I think they typically do rust colors since they are dealing with steel car bodies with rusty scratches. I figured the Capra would have aluminum panels, so when paint scratches off the outside, you'd see some shiny aluminum instead of rust. I also like matte paint, so I'm going to leave the aluminum shiny and make sure the black and orange are nice and matte.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:23 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbronco21 View Post
I wanted to try out the scaler trick of putting another color inside. I think they typically do rust colors since they are dealing with steel car bodies with rusty scratches. I figured the Capra would have aluminum panels, so when paint scratches off the outside, you'd see some shiny aluminum instead of rust. I also like matte paint, so I'm going to leave the aluminum shiny and make sure the black and orange are nice and matte.
Essentially, what I did on my 2nd Capra's interior, tho slightly different. First, I did all painting on the under-side. Next, carefully using an X-Acto, I removed certain sections of the protective film, and sprayed Clear Flat. After that, I peeled away the remainder of the protective film, exposing a combination of 'flat' and 'glossy' areas. The majority of the interior is flat, while things such as the fire extinguisher, shifter, first aid kit, etc, are all glossy.

Old 07-19-2020, 06:47 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

After quite a few prototypes...

I finally got a working print and have made all the suspension adjustments needed to work with the flat skid. This is my "prototyping" PLA that I don't care about wasting, and once it's finalized, I'll do PETG print.

I have some rub from the rear driveshaft, so I'll have to look at that brace in the cage and either print a replacement or just chop out a bit of it out. Now I'd like to design and print some mounting brackets to move everything to the skid so it all drops out without any wiring to the cage holding it back. I'm also working on a grill to hold some MyTrickRC halos.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:01 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I spent a lot of time working on parametrics in Fusion 360 so I could angle the mounts on the skid and have a rough trans/motor combo rotate with it to check clearances. Got close to printing a skid with angled mounts only to realize I didn't allow clearance for the lower link ends. Anyway I could figure out to rotate or lower the motor raised the other side of the trans and left the CG at about the same point so I left it at stock height. I think I could get around 1mm without disturbing the ends, but I'd lose that mm of skid thickness or need to trim the trans mounting posts and decided it wasn't a good compromise.

rbronco's Capra - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VFD Capra...Can I Still Call It A Capra? mjensen Axial Capra 107 11-20-2021 03:56 AM
Capra’s on 2.2 solo1 Axial Capra 10 12-22-2020 02:30 AM
My Capra pfray Axial Capra 4 05-12-2020 07:52 AM
Used Capra Jbird123 General Crawlers 9 12-28-2019 04:50 PM
Capra with 2.2s Mr. Crawley EC Tires and Wheels 5 12-17-2019 07:06 AM