Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Age slowing me down, time for a Capra build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2020, 08:29 PM   #1

Default Age slowing me down, time for a Capra build!

Hi guys and gals. I'm new to this forum and new to rock crawling so just wanted a little advice. I was gifted a Capra for my birthday recently and wanted to get some advice on motor size. I know there's been a lot of discussion about this already and my searches haven't revealed anything useful to me as of yet. I've settled on a 540 Axe Xerun system, and was just wondering if anybody has any real life experience with their 1800kv motor in their Capras? I have my eye on the 2300kv combo but I was offered a stupid good deal on the 1800 combo. Has anybody tried this 1800kv axe setup in their cars? If so, what are your thoughts? Again, im new to the rock crawling scene. My background sits more in the stadium truck and buggy fields. I don't plan on doing any rock racing with capra, but I still want to be able to punch over some walls if need be. Will the 1800kv motor offer a good setup? Or should I just go for the 2300kv motor? Any advice is much appreciated!

Last edited by Neezy916; 05-24-2020 at 08:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Neezy916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2020, 08:40 PM   #2

Default Re: Age slowing me down, time for a Capra build!

Welcome to the site!

Congrats on the Capra! It's a great truck.

Are you sure you're set on the AXE system? Some people love it and the rest hate it because it handles throttle in put differently than the "norm".

I am a HobbyWing fan, but I cancelled my AXE preorer because of it. And I'm a huge fan of the Castle Mamba X ESC and Holmes Hobbies motors. Even the Castle Slate motor isn't bad. For my Capra though I went with an inexpensive brushed system.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the welcome Jato! You know...im only set on the axe system because I feel like I don't necessarily need the raw power of the Mamba X system because I'm building my Capra to be a straight crawler. I have played around with my buddy's axe system in his Redcat Gen 8 and I really like the drag brake system over the Mamba. It just seams to hold better on decent. Im not against the mamba system at all, i just feel like the axe may be better suited for what I want..and thats just a good ol scale crawler that can ascend and descend like a goat. My only concern is the motor size and if anybody has real-time experience with the axe 1800kv system in their capras. Im curious if it will produce enough wheel spin in sticky situations.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:16 PM   #4

I really like my axe 2300kv. Drag brake is nice like you said. I tried the stock RTR 14T gear but it was too agressif, too fast. Now on a 12T and it's much better and maybe try a 11T soon. I run on 3S. Nice punch to get over steep climb and nice slow control for technical crawling.

1800kv will also be perfect with a 13t or 14t!
John_capra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:47 PM   #5

Thanks John Capra! That's exactly what I wanted to hear! On paper I figured the 1800kv motor with the stock 14t pinion would be plenty sufficient...its just nice to have other opinions. Cheers.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:39 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I'm on a 35t brushed motor on mine, but the stock pinion is way too large IMO. It has a lot of wheel speed for a crawler, I can make it break free and spin in a circle around its own length on my floor. I'm gonna try a 12 and see how it works out, but I also have the Vitavon case coming in that should let me go down to a 9. If I had known from the start, I probably would have sized down right out of the gate.

The only thing to keep in mind with the larger ESCs like the Mamba X is the mounting. There are two locations you can mount the ESC, one is on the rear bulkhead in front of the fuel cell and the other is the tray under the drivers. The Mamba X won't fit on the forward tray and has to go on the rear mount, but the battery wires are too short to reach the compartment, so you'll have to solder new ones on. I'm not sure how the Xerun compares in size, but it's something to consider, because the distance from that aft bulkhead to the battery compartment is pretty far and it has to stretch over the motor and transmission housing.
Shinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:00 PM   #7

Ahhh...that is some great info! I added up pulling the trigger on the 1800kv axe system only because I got a crazy deal on the motor and esc combo..at dare I say $140? Its good to have friends in the right places. I also picked up a 12t pinion because thats what they had on hand. Im thinking with the info I recieved in this post, that would be a good starting point for my build? I hope so? So total plans I have on board now are the pen mod of course, but I'm going to use the cheapo pens that have 10 different pen colors in one..the fat pens that hold multiple clickers. A buddy of mine mentioned to me that those springs are slightly smaller and will hug the shock shaft better, providing better action. I've got some ssd steel beadlocks with proline dual stage foams, duratrax showdowns, and brass hex's on order . Electronics wise I have a reefs 444 to throw in there and for the dig i will be running the spektrum for now...im hoping it will last because I really feel like its only benefit will be in the descents, and with the axe system having such a good drag brake system, the need to use it wouldn't be that heavy. What do you guys think about that setup? Gawd I love the R&R/Building stage. If I didn't have my hobbies, quarantine would be miserable!
Old 05-28-2020, 02:02 PM   #8

Ahhh...that is some great info! I ended up pulling the trigger on the 1800kv axe system only because I got a crazy deal on the motor and esc combo..at dare I say $140? Its good to have friends in the right places. I also picked up a 12t pinion because thats what they had on hand. Im thinking with the info I recieved in this post, that would be a good starting point for my build? I hope so? So total plans I have on board now are the pen mod of course, but I'm going to use the cheapo pens that have 10 different pen colors in one..the fat pens that hold multiple clickers. A buddy of mine mentioned to me that those springs are slightly smaller and will hug the shock shaft better, providing better action. I've got some ssd steel beadlocks with proline dual stage foams, duratrax showdowns, and brass hex's on order . Electronics wise I have a reefs 444 to throw in there and for the dig i will be running the spektrum for now...im hoping it will last because I really feel like its only benefit will be in the descents, and with the axe system having such a good drag brake system, the need to use it wouldn't be that heavy. What do you guys think about that setup? Gawd I love the R&R/Building stage. If I didn't have my hobbies, quarantine would be miserable! Please let us know how that new case works out for you!

Last edited by Neezy916; 05-28-2020 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:11 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Check the voltage on that Spektrum servo, I run the Reefs 444 at 7.4v, but the SX107 IIRC is meant for <=6.0v, so you may need some kind of bypass to prevent cooking the dig servo while still running the Reefs at optimal voltage. I run a 99, so I don't know exactly, but it's worth checking on.
Shinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:13 PM   #10

You have brought up quite an important issue there! Thank you, I totally spaced that...time for some more research. Can anybody else chime in on that? ✌
Old 05-29-2020, 12:35 AM   #11

Ok..goodbye Spektrum sx107 and hello to Torq cl0508! Oh and picked up SSD mounts while I was at it. Thanks for the heads up Shinook. Cant wait to start building and post some pics! Cheers-
Old 06-04-2020, 05:46 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

If you haven't already made up your mind, I'd like to point out the new Spektrum Firma 40 system. It's a brushed ESC with integrated 4 channel receiver. It's also waterproof and dustproof.

When I build my next crawler, that's what I'll be using.
BR549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:01 PM   #13

I am using an AXE 1800kv in my Capra and love it. Am using a 13t pinion and wouldn't want it any faster, but you can go up to an 18t pinion if you want more speed. The drag brake will hold it solid on any hill without a budge. I know some folks don't like the 'constant' rpm feature, but if you set the throttle matching to the low setting, it is virtually the same as any other speed control. It also has a lot of punch - I can pull wheelies for 2-3 feet if there is sufficient traction. For reference, I have replaced a Mamba and Tekin RX4, both with Tekin ROC motors with AXE systems as it works so much better for me.
m59y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:11 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR549 View Post
If you haven't already made up your mind, I'd like to point out the new Spektrum Firma 40 system. It's a brushed ESC with integrated 4 channel receiver. It's also waterproof and dustproof.
WOW! First time hearing of this. Me rikey!
Bansh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:23 AM   #15

Finished my build and took her out for a weekend in the hills! She came back pretty scuffed up...i love it...Capra is a F'in mountain goat. I am thoroughly impressed.

This build was actually not too difficult, as others have said, the build kit instructions have some minor errors and some extra screws, etc. But its nothing that a novice builder couldn't handle. The only thing I hate about this thing is having to take off the skid plate and unbolting some of the suspension just to get to the electronics other than the steering servo. Besides being a B to work on the internals, this rig is 1000% fun to drive. So I now just want to share my build choices with those who may need a little direction as to where to go with this build.

Motor/ESC: Hobbywing Axe 2300kv w/12t pinion (11t would be more ideal for slow crawling I think, but the 12t works just fine)

Transmitter/Receiver: Flysky FS-GT5/BS6

Steering Servo: Reefs 422/ SSD mount

Dig Servo: Torq CL0508 Micro/ SSD mount

Suspension: 90mm SSD Scale Shocks with Enduro White Springs, collars turned down 1/4 way, 32.5 weight oil front and 45 weight oil rear. Supershafty upper rear link relocation. This setup gives me just the slightest amount of sag past parallel.

Wheels: SSD 8 Hole Steel Beadlocks, brass hubs, hex bolts and portal covers.

Last edited by Neezy916; 06-17-2020 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR549 View Post

When I build my next crawler, that's what I'll be using.
Wow, this looks really interesting...I like the possible weight savings...gonna have to save this one for another build as well. Unfortunately I already had the AXE motor and esc in house ready to go. Which I have no complaints about whatsoever.

Age slowing me down, time for a Capra build! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jim's Capra kit (with pics this time!) JimInMiami Axial Capra 16 04-12-2020 09:09 PM
First Build - Capra Matt0676 Newbie General 10 03-24-2020 10:12 AM
New Age Edge build oddfellow EnRoute Berg 12 08-21-2009 03:57 AM
New Age CRL-101 Build Thread absoluttorque EnRoute Berg 15 01-18-2009 01:47 PM