Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Clicking noise when desending

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2020, 09:35 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Clicking noise when desending

I'm getting a clicking noise from the rear of my Capra RTR when descending. Can't tell if its coming from the diff or the transfer case. I took everything apart to grease it the other day (As others have mention, bone dry....everything ). When I put the trans assembly back on I made sure the servo arm lined up with the dig lever so don't think that would be it.

Any thoughts?
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2020, 12:18 PM   #2

Default Re: Clicking noise when desending

Mine did the same thing, or sounds like it anyways. Ended up being the rear diff bearings going bad and it chewed up the diff gears really badly. I would check before driving anymore to see if the gears can be saved at least as they are a little spendy at $35 a set. Mine was doing a little more of a bind then pop towards the end when it finally locked up. At first it was just an occasional pop sound.
wheelerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:52 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks. I have to tear it down to put a new lower T pinion on the motor so I'll check it out then.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:04 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Fwiw, I solved by "clicking" problem. I took the rear diff apart thinking I need to shim the pinion to get it tighter against the ring gear. That didn't work as it made everything too tight. What I needed to do was shim from the outside and put a small nylon shim (which I had to cut down so it didn't drag on the outer bearing area) between where the drive shaft attaches and the bearing area. Basically took out the forward/backward slop on the pinion. No more clicking.....
Old 08-08-2020, 08:02 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheTrail View Post
Fwiw, I solved by "clicking" problem. I took the rear diff apart thinking I need to shim the pinion to get it tighter against the ring gear. That didn't work as it made everything too tight. What I needed to do was shim from the outside and put a small nylon shim (which I had to cut down so it didn't drag on the outer bearing area) between where the drive shaft attaches and the bearing area. Basically took out the forward/backward slop on the pinion. No more clicking.....
This ^.
Use Traxxas ptfe washers (part # TRA1985) - they're 5x8x.5mm and won't need trimming. Also get a set of thinner stainless shims like these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...C1HRNQGL&psc=1 if the .5 Traxxas washers are too thick. They're .1, .2, and .3 mm in thickness. These shims will cover most shimming duties in transmissions, axle stubs, and diff pinions on nearly all RC's.
vinnieb729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:37 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnieb729 View Post
This ^.
Use Traxxas ptfe washers (part # TRA1985) - they're 5x8x.5mm and won't need trimming. Also get a set of thinner stainless shims like these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...C1HRNQGL&psc=1 if the .5 Traxxas washers are too thick. They're .1, .2, and .3 mm in thickness. These shims will cover most shimming duties in transmissions, axle stubs, and diff pinions on nearly all RC's.
Funny you mentioned that. I just went to my LHS to start a collection of shims. From this experience with my Capra and some reading here on RCC, I figure these are needed shop items. He did have the Traxxas 1985 but that's about it.

Just ordered the others you suggested on Amazon as my next step after the hobby shop (I always try to support the LHS first) was to buy on line. You made my day supplying these suggested sizes and links! If you were here I'd shake your hand and buy you a beer! (between the handshake and beer I'd have offered you some hand sanitizer after obligating you to shake my hand )

Thanks again.....

Clicking noise when desending - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front clicking noise twentyniner Traxxas TRX-4 3 10-29-2019 12:05 AM
Clicking noise? RockBuggyKiller Axial SCX-10 7 07-07-2014 03:28 PM
Clicking noise... bur1196 HPI Wheely King 10 05-05-2011 07:23 PM
Awfull clicking noise??? Kamikaze Tamiya TLT Crawlers 20 08-29-2006 04:05 PM