Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: MrMookie's Capra Build. Crawling n00b!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2020, 12:24 PM   #1

Default MrMookie's Capra Build. Crawling n00b!

Hi All,

I've been trolling these forums for quite some time now as I just recently got into the hobby. I've been a 1/10 and 1/8 offroad guy for a while, but pandemic-yada-yada-yada now I like crawling too. Started off with a WPL 1/16 scale, now have a SCX24, and just bought a Capra builder's kit.

I am just a casual crawler, but know from my offroad experience that a quality kit that's built with durability in mind will last me a really long time. I also don't care about scale looks for this rig, so the Capra seemed like the obvious choice.

I'm just now completing my electronics setup and would love some feedback on the build in general. I'm building this buggy with a budget in mind, so I've tried to not go too overboard when a functional alternative exists. I took a lot of direction from RC Review and other YouTuber's to get a sense of what works well.

Already purchased:

- Castle Mamba Micro X Crawler Edition
- Radiolink 7-ch w/ telemetry
- Castle BEC 2.0 13A Waterproof
- HDPower 23kg steering servo
- HDPower tr-4 dig servo
- Tattu 1500mah 75C 3S pack
- Amass XT-60 battery connector

- Injora beadlocks
- 1.9 Proline Hyrax
- SSD brass portal covers

7/16:
- HH PP V2 Stubby 2200Kv
- TGH 'Wild' overdrive

On backorder

- AX31009, Dig servo horn for non Spektrum servos

Waiting to order:

- Motor (Update: ordered a Stubby 2200kv.)
-- I'm between the Holme's 540 Stubby Puller Pro and the Castle Slate (both 2200Kv). It's way easier to get my hands on the Castle motor, but I hear the Holme's is better all around. For someone who's only a casual crawler will I know the difference? Also, I know this sounds stupid, but having a quiet motor is a huge plus!

- Tire foams
-- I've heard Crawler Innovations are the ones to get, but not sure if this is necessary or which to get.

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Last edited by mrmookie; 07-16-2020 at 07:20 PM.
mrmookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2020, 02:03 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: MrMookie's Capra Build. Crawling n00b!

Just a suggestion why not go with the standard size puller pro? The v2 puller will fit and it will handle the capras lack of gear reduction in the trans. Unless therse a reason im not aware of. Other wise you got a solid list, hope the build goes well
mud bogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud bogger View Post
Just a suggestion why not go with the standard size puller pro? The v2 puller will fit and it will handle the capras lack of gear reduction in the trans. Unless therse a reason im not aware of. Other wise you got a solid list, hope the build goes well
Good call out! I don't have any preference between the standard and stubby. The only reason I went down the stubby route is because I thought it would be lighter and provide more clearance for installation. This was not based on anything but was just my intuition so am happy you pointed that out.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:32 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Wait, the standard PP fits? Does it require any trimming of the upper link mounting post?
NeoPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:44 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

If you are using the Mamba Micro X, ESC you should stick with a Stubby or the Slate per both Castle Creations and JRHolmes recommendations.

from the HH site:

"For 1/10 scale vehicles: Only the Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro BL 540 Stubby 2200kv, Stubby 2700kv, and Revolver Snubnose motors are recommended for use with this ESC. Larger or higher KV motors are not recommended."

from the Castle Creations site:

"Recommended motors include Castle's "Slate" crawler motors (combos available) and Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro 540 "Stubby" (≤ 2700kv)"
durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
If you are using the Mamba Micro X, ESC you should stick with a Stubby or the Slate per both Castle Creations and JRHolmes recommendations.

from the HH site:

"For 1/10 scale vehicles: Only the Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro BL 540 Stubby 2200kv, Stubby 2700kv, and Revolver Snubnose motors are recommended for use with this ESC. Larger or higher KV motors are not recommended."

from the Castle Creations site:

"Recommended motors include Castle's "Slate" crawler motors (combos available) and Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro 540 "Stubby" (≤ 2700kv)"
This is great info, thanks for grabbing this from the HH site. Thankfully, a Stubby 2200kv was on eBay for list price so I went ahead and bought one (out of stock on HH site).

Also got some 30% overdrive gears just in case since I heard some people like them.
Who's running the the TGH 'wild' overdrives?

https://supershafty.com/products/tgh...erdrivegearset

Re: foams, I'll search around to see what foams people like to put with the Hyrax for loose dirt/loam and rock boulders unless people have specific advice.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:11 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmookie View Post
This is great info, thanks for grabbing this from the HH site. Thankfully, a Stubby 2200kv was on eBay for list price so I went ahead and bought one (out of stock on HH site).

Also got some 30% overdrive gears just in case since I heard some people like them.

Re: foams, I'll search around to see what foams people like to put with the Hyrax for loose dirt/loam and rock boulders unless people have specific advice.
Regarding the foams, I use ProLine dual stage foams in my Capra and haven't had any issues with them. My primary terrain is rocks with a little loose dirt/sand mixed in as well.
RCBrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:39 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I use Crawler Innovations 4.50" Lil' Nova comp cut dual stage foams (soft up front, medium in the rear) on my Capra.
NeoPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmookie View Post

30% overdrive is overboard. The higher you go the smore sidehilling capability you lose. Just something to think about. I use 10% up front and I like it. The TGH Mild Overdrive gears may be worth looking into.
Neezy916 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrMookie's Capra Build. Crawling n00b! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! I wanna do a scale build, help me im a n00b :) crawlin570 Tires and Wheels 9 01-01-2012 09:35 PM
N00B in Crawling, hows my rig? Hi-Po Stomper Newbie General 26 06-25-2009 12:23 PM
Rancid's n00b WK Build Rancid HPI Wheely King 7 06-08-2007 12:30 PM
A real RC Crawling n00b. PROTOTYPE Chit Chat 14 03-05-2006 04:46 AM