Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Another Capra Hybrid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2020, 10:06 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Another Capra Hybrid

Well I put the 17.5T sensored brushless setup in this thing. It’s paired with an old Tekin RS gen1 and the wheels are spinning in reverse.

After doing some research, it looks like I’ll either need a new setup, or take some time and try to rewire the motor and sensor cable.
Or just ditch it and stick with the trusty brushed setup lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Fricker08; 08-05-2020 at 10:50 PM.
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2020, 10:56 PM   #22

Default Re: Another Capra Hybrid

looks damn clean
stetler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:28 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Your truck turned out really nice. The pictures you posted over on the Capra picture thread are great. Now that you've had a chance to get it out running how does it compare to your other trucks?
Looking at how well your truck came together has got me rethinking my build. Maybe it's time to stop trying to reinvent the wheel with this 3d printing stuff and get some Vanquish chassis rails to hang my parts on. The 3d printing has been fun but it might be time to leave the designing to the pros.
mjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:50 AM   #24
RCC Addict

Thanks guys, it was a really fun build besides wasting a whole bunch of time trying to make the brushless system work.
mjensen, your 3d printing skills are pretty unreal. I love the Capra, but it was definitely lacking in some departments. Had I not just bought one for my girl I would have started with a new kit for this because I love how the thing handles in “stock” form.
I’m pretty happy with the way this handles. Has plenty of flex but isn’t as capable as a stock Capra which is ok. I drove my bone stock 10.3 first then this and I could hit far more difficult lines. I’ve changed a couple things since the last post though.

I swapped to some enduro springs to get the ride height down, and I installed some 4.5” no name tires I got off eBay that I’m really surprised with. I’ll probably order some more. I’m running my stock plastic 10.3 bead locks with 3oz of weight inside each one, making them slightly heavier than the aluminum wheels. I trimmed the front fender on the body, but it still rubs a lot and the magnets need to be about twice as strong lol.

All n all I’m happy with the way it looks and performs. I’ll definitely be ordering some IERC shock towers for the front at least.. can’t seem to get free movement all around but it flexes nice.
Spoiler though, I’ll be going back to the HH 35t torquemaster expert, It’s not feasible to have my swamped one rebuilt so I’ll pick up a new one. After driving the 10.3 I forgot how smooth that setup is.
I absolutely love the blazer body, but I know this thing will perform so much better with a cab and tube frame bed so that’s coming soon.
It was a really straight forward build, I wouldn’t mind a couple more screws going through the skid but I think it’s pretty solid. The skid I got from intheworks is about useless to me and wasn’t the best print so I’m glad I decided to mod the stock skid.

Old 08-09-2020, 01:52 AM   #25
RCC Addict

Enough talking here’s some pics

Old 08-09-2020, 04:07 AM   #26
Pebble Pounder

As long as you are happy with it I'd say it's a success. It may not be quite as capable as your Capra but it sure look like it's a whole lot easier to work on. That was the biggest reason I started on my build even before my Capra kit had ever touched dirt. I only decided to finish building the stock Capra, after stripping most of the parts for the custom build, just so I had something to compare the 3D chassis to. I really didn't figure I could build a better Capra, only one that I could get to the motor and electronics without disassembling most of the truck.
I appreciate the compliment about the 3D printing but honestly I've only had a printer for a couple of months and Fusion 360 for the same amount of time so I'm just winging it. 3D printing has come a long way but it's really not ready to replace injection molding or C-channel and flat rail chassis yet. 3D printing is great for simple parts but once the designs get complicated it has it's issues. The biggest one is print time and the longer a print takes the more time there is for something to go wrong. My latest print was a redesign of my chassis so I could print it as one piece. Because of the material I was using it had to be printed pretty slowly, a 75 hour print. My dog, a Newfoundland who's rather massive, bumped into my printer bench at about 50 hours into the print and it was enough to jar the print head so the print layers no longer lined up ruining the print. Big waste of time and material. As I said I'm rethinking how practical 3D printing is for what I'm trying to do. 3D printing and designing has been fun and it's kept me busy during this virus thing but I think going the simpler route would be better.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:53 AM   #27
RCC Addict

Man that’s too bad, and super frustrating when something like that happens. It is a very cool process for sure and I’m sure like everything else will get better with time.
I was hoping the skid I picked up would work, but not having upper link mounts I have no idea how I’d go about that.
That is one part even in this configuration is to swap the motor or even pinion, the trans has to come out. But it is SO much easier to do pull the trans now lol
I built this thing to be driven so I’ll keep this post updated as I change things or run into any issues.

Old 08-16-2020, 12:12 AM   #28
RCC Addict

Latest updates, I have some IERC shock towers and battery plate coming. I picked up a tekin Hotwire so I could get the 17.5t spinning the correct way.. motor doesn’t seem super smooth, may be worn out but I’ll deal with that later.

As badass as the Blazer body looked, it just wasn’t working out. So I was going to go truggy but my lhs had a jconcepts Creep in stock and I think it’s exactly what this truck needed for now. I’m adding a HeyOk no brainer bec that I’ll wire straight to the esc and some purple springs. Still need to decide on a front bumper and maybe something really simple for the rear

Old 08-16-2020, 05:42 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

I really like that body on there and I can't believe the articulation you've gotten. Are you still using the Capra shocks? Anyway, it looks great.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:15 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjensen View Post
I really like that body on there and I can't believe the articulation you've gotten. Are you still using the Capra shocks? Anyway, it looks great.

Thanks man, this thing even in stock Capra form has had ridiculous articulation from day one. But I’m really glad it transferred over to this chassis. Also hoping the new shock towers I have coming make it just that much better. They’re the stock shocks, currently with 50wt and enduro springs white and green. The stiffer up front softer out back.

Old 08-20-2020, 11:48 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Couple more pics, I installed the IERC front shock towers, battery tray and Installed axial purple soft springs. The new shock towers are a massive upgrade and I’d like to thank Braaap42 for pointing me that way. I thought I’d be ok with those just on the front but it was such a difference I had some 1/8 plate floating around and I cut me out a pair of rear ones. I had some slight trimming left to do on the front servo mount and need to wire up the heyok bec then she will be ready for a real test run this weekend.
As it sits, the front wheel is approximately 6.5” off the ground and all 3 others are planted. The body is mounted on magnets for now and I’ll pick up a cheap front bumper tomorrow just to get me by.

Old 08-22-2020, 08:36 PM   #32
RCC Addict

I got to take her out for the first real test run today. A pretty decent 5 hours of crawling. Within the first 20 minutes I was done with the magnet mounts... but some Velcro and double sided tape made it better.
Super fun rig over all I’m happy with it. I’m going to switch to 70wt shock oil and go from there.

Old 09-10-2020, 09:48 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Default Another Capra Hybrid

Been making some little changes here n there. Moved the upper links down to the lowest hole, made a huge difference. Just received a bunch of brass in the mail, was expecting roughly 9oz and idk how accurate my cheap little scale is but if it’s even close I added about 12oz. 8 up front and 4 out back. Can’t wait to get out and give this thing a test run!
I also have a hobbywing 540 axe 2300kv setup in the works

Old 09-16-2020, 07:43 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Adding all that weight made a tremendous difference. This thing continues to blow my mind.. I know I’m being hindered by the frame though. The front axle doesn’t move freely and sitting at at ride height the servo is between the rails. So the frame has to come up before it reaches full articulation. That being said, I’m looking at going to a brazin HiLow or possibly even a custom chassis.

I know this things taken a hard turn from being a Capra so if the mods want to move this to the 1.9 scale rigs section I’m good with it.

Old 09-16-2020, 08:08 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
Adding all that weight made a tremendous difference. This thing continues to blow my mind.. I know I’m being hindered by the frame though. The front axle doesn’t move freely and sitting at at ride height the servo is between the rails. So the frame has to come up before it reaches full articulation. That being said, I’m looking at going to a brazin HiLow or possibly even a custom chassis.

I know this things taken a hard turn from being a Capra so if the mods want to move this to the 1.9 scale rigs section I’m good with it.

I was thinking about picking up a set of Vanquish rails to try to fit in my Capra but I was concerned that the rails would interfere with the axles. You've pretty much confirmed that. Saved me $40
I still really like how your truck has turned out. It's changed my thoughts on the cage look vs a scale body.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:54 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjensen View Post
I was thinking about picking up a set of Vanquish rails to try to fit in my Capra but I was concerned that the rails would interfere with the axles. You've pretty much confirmed that. Saved me $40
I still really like how your truck has turned out. It's changed my thoughts on the cage look vs a scale body.

Hey man glad I could help! I’ll let you know if I hear back from brazin about a custom chassis.. Or if I end up with one they’re already producing. Don’t get me wrong, the truck works great.. but I think with a chassis that will clear the axle mounted servo it will unlock so much more potential. I also want to stick with a “truck style” chassis and not go full “comp” chassis. I like running bumpers and truck bodies with the thing still appearing scale.

Old 09-26-2020, 11:41 AM   #37
RCC Addict

Well I’m going to conclude this build thread.. it was exactly what I wanted and I had a blast building and driving it. Big things are coming and I’ll start documenting them in the 1.9 scale rig section since this thing is going away from being a Capra. Thanks for everyone who chimed in and helped and I hope this inspired and or helped someone to do something similar. Thanks again!

Old 08-25-2021, 06:49 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

That was an interesting project and I like the way it turned out.

s
SteveB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:51 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB1 View Post
That was an interesting project and I like the way it turned out.

s

Hey thanks Steve! I was reminiscing about this truck the other day, and how a year ago I was having a lot more fun with this rig and my others than I am now with all my wild flat rail builds. Hence why I’m switching things up. But hopefully it inspired some people

Another Capra Hybrid - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VFD Capra...Can I Still Call It A Capra? mjensen Axial Capra 107 11-20-2021 03:56 AM
Is the capra right for me? Wisco General Crawlers 8 06-21-2020 05:53 AM
Capra 2.2 mccarsones Axial Capra 23 10-19-2019 03:19 PM
Rock hammer hybrid VS all weather Hybrid joesbruiser Tires and Wheels 1 08-05-2008 09:23 AM