Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: El Chivo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2019, 11:31 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default El Chivo

This is the first rig I've ever bought new. Once I saw what it was and what parts were going into it from the factory there was no doubt I'd own one as soon as possible. I messaged a guy that works at the local hobbytown and he put my name on one of the 4 they had coming in this passed monday.

I ended up swapping the shocks out for 2661 traxxas big bores that are lathed down with mini t springs.

The front upper links got swapped for some Ti links that are 10mm shorter. This fixes the pinion angle issue and gives the front end some much needed caster.

I had originally installed a tekin 35 turn and br-mini with a Holmes hv500 servo but I decided to swap that with a tekin 2300 roc 412 and a mamba x. This seems to have more than enough snort on hand and still crawls well enough.

I'm running pro-line km3 in predator with 4.5" CI foams on 2.2" CI 6 bolt wheels.

I did have to do a little clearance work on the rear link mount to clear the motor but nothing major.

This will probably be a fun rig to trail and generally screw around with. I'm very hopeful for the future of the aftermarket, I can already see some parts coming down the pipe already...
Attached Images

Last edited by WHITE-TRASH; 10-04-2019 at 11:46 AM.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2019, 11:39 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: El Chivo

WT buying a brand new Axial rig? Better follow this one .
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:49 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
I know right? I don't buy anything new and I sure as hell don't keep things stock. There is some killer parts coming for these rigs. Axial flat fawking nailed it on this rig over all. I'm sure they figured there would be some good volume sold but I don't think they saw it opening a whole new class in comps like it is already starting to do.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:01 PM   #4

Crazy that this is your first new rig. But I guess you comp guys are used to building from scratch. This thread should be interesting and informative to watch.

You already made me do the old "hmm" when you mentioned the shorter links to adjust caster. Mine isn't built yet so I can't see how it looks stock on my bench. I'll definitely keep this in mind for the future though.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:23 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Crazy that this is your first new rig. But I guess you comp guys are used to building from scratch. This thread should be interesting and informative to watch.

You already made me do the old "hmm" when you mentioned the shorter links to adjust caster. Mine isn't built yet so I can't see how it looks stock on my bench. I'll definitely keep this in mind for the future though.

Looking back the pic I posted was with stock links. This is an updated pic with my caster & pinion angle corrected.

I just finished new lexan body panels too. I'll never run the stock panels since they're too thin for my idiocy. I also kicked the roof panel out to the edge of the light bar. That light bar sucks but it was free so it'll stay until I come up with something better.

I messed around with the steering too. The steering arms needed some trimming on the backside, the stops got shaved down and I had to bend the tie rod. I'll have all the links replaced with titanium in the near future.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2019, 12:45 PM   #6
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
I know! Remember when he wouldnt comp either

Actually happy to see you puttin a thread up here. Agree too, Axial did good for the hobby again. Nice seeing something new instead of rebadge/rebodied come from such an innovator in the sport.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:00 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I know! Remember when he wouldnt comp either

Actually happy to see you puttin a thread up here. Agree too, Axial did good for the hobby again. Nice seeing something new instead of rebadge/rebodied come from such an innovator in the sport.
I still don't comp, I just show up and bash about on the courses laughing like a moron.

I've been waiting for a red star since march and this rig finally made me just buy the fawking thing to post pics so you can thank axial for that $20 I just pissed away.: flipoff:
Old 10-04-2019, 01:12 PM   #8
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
I still don't comp, I just show up and bash about on the courses laughing like a moron.

I've been waiting for a red star since march and this rig finally made me just buy the fawking thing to post pics so you can thank axial for that $20 I just pissed away.: flipoff:
LOL ... you could recoup some of that money taking a chip off those gold bricks on the shelf in the background.

OR JUST BUILD THOSE
Old 10-04-2019, 01:18 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
LOL ... you could recoup some of that money taking a chip off those gold bricks on the shelf in the background.

OR JUST BUILD THOSE
I hemorrhage money in this hobby so what's another $20?
Old 10-04-2019, 01:42 PM   #10
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
I hemorrhage money in this hobby so what's another $20?
Old 10-04-2019, 02:11 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Finally found a use for the little 800 2s graphene packs a friend gave me. Series connection all set up and here we are.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2019, 02:21 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Looking good WT! Can you explain your thoughts on the pinion angle? I’m trying to look at the before and after. It looks like the portals are clocked leaning toward the rear in both pictures. The after pic I see the pinion pointing slightly downwards.

I just got my kit today. I had it delivered to my work. Waiting to head home so I can check it out!
hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:35 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibbs View Post
Looking good WT! Can you explain your thoughts on the pinion angle? I’m trying to look at the before and after. It looks like the portals are clocked leaning toward the rear in both pictures. The after pic I see the pinion pointing slightly downwards.

I just got my kit today. I had it delivered to my work. Waiting to head home so I can check it out!

Rethinking it yet again in the first pic the lower links were turned out to compensate for the upper links being too long. Bin the second pic the lowers are back in and the upper links are changed. The pinion angle is pretty much the same.

If you build the rig as per the instructions the axle will be rolled forward so there is very little caster angle. I want this turd to turn so caster is a must have.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:01 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Yeah, you're pulling about 25 degrees on that one pic. So let me be the first to ask: How fast does the WT chivo go? Haul asada or what?
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:28 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
Yeah, you're pulling about 25 degrees on that one pic. So let me be the first to ask: How fast does the WT chivo go? Haul asada or what?
I haven't had it outside yet but it rips easy wheelies inside. I dropped an 11 tooth pinion on it and it runs 4s so it should still be able to crawl well enough and have some pep in her step when needed. It certainly isn't as fast as my bomber though, that'd be stupid.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:30 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Aaaaand she's painted. I was out of masking tape so I used scotch tape on the hood. Bad idea.

Hard to see but its purple/green pearl backed by black.
Attached Images

Last edited by WHITE-TRASH; 10-04-2019 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:16 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Spent an hour or so at a local spot I know very well. This damned thing just works. Yea itll be better with some brass knuckles, a bit tighter turning radius and with a functional dig but as is this silly thing just flat goes.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:15 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Yeah I'm of the same opinion, in fact I'd say outside of a Bully 2 this is probably the best performing rig out the box that you can buy. Maybe I can go shill this at the next comp and get the class 3 scene started again .

Oh and you had a good note there with the caster so I checked my links box. It looks like standard revo ends are about 1 or 1.5mm shorter than the new Capra ends so you can just replace the front uppers with revo ends to bring it in.

Last edited by Sneetches; 10-05-2019 at 10:48 PM.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:10 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yeah I'm of the same opinion, in fact I'd say outside of a Bully 2 this is probably the best performing rig out the box that you can buy. Maybe I can go shill this at the next comp and get the class 3 scene started again .

Oh and you had a good note there with the caster so I checked my links box. It looks like standard revo ends are about 1 or 1.5mm shorter than the new Capra ends so you can just replace the front uppers with revo ends to bring it in.
There has been a group of older guys showing up to the scale comps lately. They are all heavily into rc planes and one of them bought a redcat gen 8 so they all ran out and did the same. Then they found me... none of them bring their gen 8s out after seeing how craptacular they really are.

Anyway one of them started asking about my rigs and why mine will do things theirs can't so he is heading down the performance rabbit hole. I posted my little build to the local group and he is buying one tomorrow to run in class 3. I think it is an easy way to get into that class.

I'd looked at revo rod ends too but wanted them even shorter. Side note is the axial balls and traxxas are still the same diameter so they balls swap back and forth easily.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:53 AM   #20

That's great to hear that it works well for you since you kinda have a skewed view because you're all out all performance guy.

Also good that the balls are compatible.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote