Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Capra America: A Super Build by SVT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Capra America: A Super Build by SVT

We will start off with some self awareness: all of us are nerds. What else would you call someone who spends copious amounts of time and money playing with toy trucks? You are not cool so just give in to this fact because we are on a collision course to create some kind of nerd supernova.

The Capra is a great hero, capable of taking on the most gnarly of rocks. Forged in the dark confines of an Axial office somewhere in California, the full extent of the Capra’s powers are not yet known. If you have experienced any media over the last decade, you know there is a origin story coming.

As with all good superhero tales, we begin with the humble beginnings of our hero. Since the news was still “Axial is releasing a portal axle 1.9 rock buggy”, I was going to buy it. My fleet always has room for a tube frame buggy so the fate of the Capra was woven before it’s existence. Fate came in the form of the good people at Hanger 18 Hobbies who directed this Capra to a man who would change it’s life forever.

When we first met, the Capra was weary from a life of rough beginnings. This seemingly normal kit didn’t even have a home and was living in a box. I found the Capra after being rejected from signing up for service in WWII because of being too small and frail. It had moxie.

Before we go on, yes it is true that an inanimate object was attempting to sign up for 1940s war time military service in October 2019. The timelines in superhero stories are infallible.

The wise master always sees deeper than the surface. Alternatively, the genius scientist always needs chumps ..errr…. volunteers for their crazy, untested, potentially dangerous experiments. I’m definitely one of those roles in this story.

Whether this is a kooky experiment or something more nefarious, the one thing that is for certain is things will not go as planned. So let’s get cracking.

The first step to undertake is the axles.

These new portal axles are obviously one of the major highlights of the Capra. If you are unaware, these new axles are wider than the AR44s and other common scale axles, sport Currie F9 styling, and are molded in different plastic from previous Axial vehicles. They definitely feel more solid in hand than previous Axial axle housings, time will tell how than translates to driving durability.

Going into those fancy new housings, are familiar AR44 ring and pinion gears. This is fantastic because these are still the best axle gear set on the market. New for the Capra is the very welcome addition of a 6 bolt design to hold them to the steel lockers.

For the front, I though overdrive would be a lovely addition to the Capra and purchased this SSD 6 bolt overdrive gear set.

Like others have experienced, the mesh with the SSD gears was not smooth at all. Through a combination of careful tightening of the 3rd member screws and pinion shimming, we eventually got to a point where there is only 1 tight spot in the rotation. It is still undecided if these will be run to see if they break in or swapped for stock gears. The stock Axial gears are infinitely smoother than these overdrive gears.

The patient has been prepped for the massive super steroid infusion, I mean gear installation. Who would knowingly pump a human being with ungodly amounts of steroids for the purposes of creating Nazi crushing super soldiers (yes, those idiots totally bought that)?

The 3rd member requires a firm press to achieve the very reassuring snap of the tight fit into the axle housing. One of the bits of the Capra I have to point out is Axial has completely done away with those stupid M2.6 screws that were popular on the SCX10II. All hardware is commonly available M2, M2.5, or M3 stuff. Hooray!

Portal axles require more gears. These are those gears.

The gears are sintered metal but appear to be very well made. Some sintered gears look like poorly made crap, these are at the opposite end of that sintered gear spectrum. Again, testing will determine if the nice finish equates to a durable gear.

Once you cram the gears into the portal housings, you arrive at this point:

This is a typical portal setup. Some have expressed concerns over the amount of material around the screws on the outer portal cover but I remain unconvinced the portals will see the types of forces that would make this an issue.

A few screws later, we have a complete front axle.

The uncommon portal feature of univerals make me very happy.

The rear is much the same as the front, so much so that I’m going to mostly skip the assembly pictures.

Here is the 1 and only rear axle assembly pic:

This is the inside of the rear portal box and a bearing does not go here. If you do install a bearing, the portal cover will not go on. You have been warned which means several of you will do it anyway.

Back to the front, we now have steering links installed.

The steering links (and all other links) are very beefy steel and fresh new rod ends get installed on all the links. It can not be overstated how much better these rod ends are from the old Axial ends. As these are not made from dried chewing gum, they are way more substantial and when combined with the new stainless steel pivot balls, they work like legitimate rod ends.

The steering setup is a servo on axle setup which is great for simplicity and performance. As we learn from every new release, half the buying populous will complain that it doesn’t have the other type of steering setup. Of course they were also complaining about this kit coming with portals and the SCX10II not coming with portals. People are miserable jerks.

The stock servo horn is a steel insert inside a plastic horn, similar to Losi 1/8 vehicles. The insert has been proven largely bombproof in other vehicles, the horn is not however. I chose to install a Vanquish horn on the Holmes SHV500v2 that will be pointing the tires in the desired direction.

You may think the servo mount looks to be the one from the Wraith/Bomber. If you think that, you would be wrong.

The Capra’s servo mount moves the mounting hardware in from the AR60’s servo mount so the mounting screws don’t end up in the middle of the upper link mounts. If you want an aluminum servo mount, you will have to wait approximately 8 minutes before the aftermarket is on it.

The instructions tell you to build the shocks and links next but the benevolent power granting genius never follows anyone’s rules which always forces them to resort to unorthodox and likely less than scrupulous means. So to the transmission we go.

Inside the case, is 2 gears but the star here is the dig feature anyway. All the important components of the dig are rather beefy chunks of machined steel. I gave the shaft the dig slides on a good coat of grease to help ensure smooth movement.

On the other side of the transmission, we have a familiar spur mated to an unfamiliar external idler gear. This setup helps keep the transmission more compact than the old 3 gear setup but your pinion choice will be limited.

Speaking of pinions, my intention was to get this assembled to test out the gearing options available. I got the transmission assembled then found out my collection of pinions ranged from the stock 14T, 13T, and then a 9T. Pinion inventory fail on my part. I went with a 13T for a little more gear reduction.

One note that is probably outside of the norm for most kits; you will want to grease the spur, idler, and pinion gears to keep wear and noise to a minimum.

While we are on the subject of gearing, the Capra isn’t setup for a ton of reduction. Out of the box, you are looking at a 30ish:1 overall gearing. People who are tossing in 3500kv motors are going to be seriously surprised when their Capra’s rip off at 20 mph on the first throttle pull. Moderation is going to be your friend with this one. My choice:

This Holmes Crawlmaster Magnum 16T. It should have enough wheelspeed to bump up or jump the occasional gap combined with the finest low speed control and all the torque you can get out of a brushed motor. You don’t make Super Soldier Serum out of crap, only the finest for making your living weapons. That is until the government funding gets cut then you spend 100 times the cost of the original recipe to make a cheaper recipe.

Now we have a new transmission to mount to a new skidplate.

The dig unit is operated by a micro servo. Axial designed it to fit the Spektrum SX107 servo which comes with the proper base unit to fit the dig servo saver to the servo spline. You can make lots of servos work with varying levels of effort. I exerted very little effort and bought the drop in Spektrum option.
A little trimming on the servo mount created some additional clearance for the wire so it wasn’t being pushed at a harsh angle.

If you are curious how the new transmission compares to the good old 3 gear design, it is quite a bit shorter (even with the long mounting bosses on the bottom) and not much longer front to back even with the dig unit.

One of the other big improvements to the Capra was in the shock department.

You get nicely coated shock bodies with new seal components and 2 complete sets of shock springs. All of this is very promising and I look forward to seeing how these work.

Unfortunately, that won’t be happening on this truck.

My Capra will be getting a full set of Dravtech shocks. You may ask why would I do such a thing and the answer is a long one, as in the shocks are too long. Yes, that was an awful joke but it factual statement as well. The truck is a mighty tall one with portals and the stock 97mm shocks. These Dravtechs come in at 92.5mm giving my Capra a healthy ride height drop and spiffy good looks. A fun bit of information: the stock upper and lower shock mounting pivot balls fit nicely in the Traxxas rod ends of the Dravtech shocks so no need to worry about spacers or funky angles.

More beefy steel links join the front and rear axles to the skidplate.

The front and rear links are identical in length for both the uppers and lowers. Well I assume they are identical because the manual is inconveniently blank for the assembled length for the rear upper links. I built all the uppers to the same length. The links are all a turnbuckle-esque design with one side being threaded in the opposite direction. Some won’t appreciate this but I am a big fan of being able to adjust the length of the links without disassembling anything.

Well, I think this is a good stopping point for now. I can’t go through the whole story in a single issue. How am I supposed to pad my view stats with a single post. No one would come back if you got everything at once. So definitely come back for more quality internet tiny truck adventures.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2019, 12:06 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Capra America: A Super Build by SVT

First, LUV your sense of humor. More people need one like yours (and mine...actually, my entire family is liked that). As I'm constantly trying to get others to understand, "Money doesn't matter as much as most people think. What you need to get through life successfully is a good sense of humor."

Second, thanks for the step-by-step build info (and, yup, they did forget the length on page 19). They also forgot to indicate, by part number, which links were used for which steps. Thankfully, I pulled out my trusty calipers, and easily figured it out.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:39 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Very entertaining...i will follow this !
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:54 PM   #4

In building my Capra it never dawned on me that I hadn't come across a 2.6mm or coarse thread screw. That's a freaking yay! for sure!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:53 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Got mine built up through Bag E...well, except I made a tiny boo-boo (forgot one bearing in the transmission). Thankfully, correcting my "error" should take less than 5min...then, I'll be back on track.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 10-02-2019, 07:25 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Did you have any issues with the idler gear for the spur with it binding while assembling the outer cover. I feel as if though there may be some failures related to this.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
wblteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:35 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblteen View Post
Did you have any issues with the idler gear for the spur with it binding while assembling the outer cover. I feel as if though there may be some failures related to this.

Personally, I haven't had any problems with the build (up through E)...except for the problem I caused.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:27 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Must not buy another rig...temptation is at an all time high!
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:34 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashlee View Post
Temptation IS a bad thing, so, here's my solution. Just go but the Capra...then you will have gotten rid of the temptation.

Simple problems deserve simple solution.

Last edited by Panther6834; 10-02-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:13 AM   #10
Go Buckeyes!

A "super build" thread so far Mr. SVT!

I'm curious to see how the Dravtech shocks work out!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:47 AM   #11

Quote:

I did. I had to loosen the topmost screw to get rid of the bind. The lower two screws can be tight oddly enough.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:39 AM   #12
Gold Star Baby!

Super read so far. Looking forward to hearing about how those shocks work out and sit when built.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:39 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
First, LUV your sense of humor. More people need one like yours (and mine...actually, my entire family is liked that). As I'm constantly trying to get others to understand, "Money doesn't matter as much as most people think. What you need to get through life successfully is a good sense of humor."

Second, thanks for the step-by-step build info (and, yup, they did forget the length on page 19). They also forgot to indicate, by part number, which links were used for which steps. Thankfully, I pulled out my trusty calipers, and easily figured it out.
I'm actually a humorless bore in real life but everyone can lie anonymously on the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Very entertaining...i will follow this !
Any entertainment value is debatable but follow anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
In building my Capra it never dawned on me that I hadn't come across a 2.6mm or coarse thread screw. That's a freaking yay! for sure!
Yes, M2.6 hardware should die an immediate and painful death and be wiped from the existence of all RC.

Quote:
Got mine built up through Bag E...well, except I made a tiny boo-boo (forgot one bearing in the transmission). Thankfully, correcting my "error" should take less than 5min...then, I'll be back on track.
Leave the bearing out for maximum rust resistance. In fact, take all the bearings out so none of them can rust.

Quote:
When I first assembled the transmission, it felt fine but when running the motor you could definitely hear the rubbing. I'm going to have to open it back up since I got an idea for shimming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashlee View Post
Yes, do not buy another rig.

You should buy six then you can hand out 5 to other people and have a comp wherever you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
A "super build" thread so far Mr. SVT!

I'm curious to see how the Dravtech shocks work out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Super read so far. Looking forward to hearing about how those shocks work out and sit when built.
2 for 1 response: Initial results look promising, pics should be coming soon. But not right now because there are other updates first.

A quick peek behind the curtain, all contained in this next update was done at the time of the first post. I learned there is a character count limit on a single post. Who knew?

Now it is the moment we have all been waiting for: building the cage!

It is exactly the same as the Bomber cage because this is really just a 1.9 Bomber. Also the cage is the same as the Wraith but it doesn’t stop there. It is also the GOM cage, the R1 cage, the Ripper cage, the Yeti cage, the Deadbolt cage, the Honcho bed, the suspension links on every truck, the plumbing connecting my hot water heater, and the bag of pipe cleaners my kids use to make art . Everything made from connected cylinders is the same thing. I’m so glad the internet was there to sort things out for me.

To those diehard WERock weirdo or people with functioning vision and mental processing capabilities beyond the average cucumber, this Capra cage is clearly not a Bomber or anything else. Daredevil took a barrel of toxic waste directly to the eyeballs and knows this even in an unassembled state.

Many screws later:

The Capra cage is definitely more than the sum of it’s parts. Each piece does not feel that stiff but as you tie the parts together, the whole structure feels more and more substantial. After installing many, many, 18mm screws, you end up with this.

Out back, there is a new fuel cell that doubles as a receiver box. This fuel cell is much smaller than the one from the Bomber/Yeti. It is not waterproof if that is a concern for you but silicone sealant works wonders. I will be using this for decoration only.

It is about now that I will make the admission that I did things out of order yet again. The axles were not the first part of this build. The one thing that will always derail my build progress is paint so that was the start of this build.

The interior was almost a great big fail. The plan was to paint it black on the inside and flat clear on the outside. Part 1 of that plan went well but the flat clear ended up looking more like frosted white. The whole thing ended up looking like it was ran through a Krispy Kreme glazing machine. Plan B time: hit the outside with flat black. Near disaster turns to triumph in true hero fashion.

The interior was jammed into the cage. The whole process was a bit sketchy as it requires flexing the interior quite a bit to maneuver it into place with the cage fully assembled. I really didn’t want to take off any of that lovely flat finish so care was taken. Oh, before you get here, take a minute and glue the driver heads together or they will fall apart while driving.

The interior looks much smaller than the Wraith or Bomber interiors but really the drivers are about the same size. The reduction in size comes mainly from reducing the space between and around the drivers. Competition rock buggies are much tighter in driver accommodations than Ultra 4 buggies and the interior properly reflects this even though this is really just a 1.9 Bomber.

Since I spilled the beans on the fact paint was the first task tackled, I guess I can spoil one more thing.

Damn that is a fine color.

Painting was a breeze because the panels come precut and drilled and since there are no windows, no masking is needed. Between this and my VS4-10, I firmly believe all lexan should be precut for my convenience.

I know what you are thinking: “Why is the thread called Capra America if there is no Captain America themed paint?” The answer is quite simple: laziness. I never want to paint and the more elaborate the paintjob, the less I want to do it. Sure, I could do a fancy multicolor paint job with custom cut masks but then I wouldn’t get to drive this for months. Orange truck = truck that gets driven before Thanksgiving.

Well, it is about time to wrap up this installment with many questions left to be answered. What electronics will be installed? What wheels and tires are going to be chosen? How will the finished truck sit with those Dravtech shocks? Find out what happens to our hero in the next update!
Old 10-03-2019, 10:47 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

What ESC did you use? My plan was to go with the Mamba X, but I'm thinking it won't fit in the ESC side of the electronics tray.

Mamba X - 54.4mm x 32.5mm
ESC side of the electronics tray - 48.1mm x 33.4mm.

T Obviously, the tray is wide enough for the Mamba X, but it appears to be too short by 6.3mm.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:55 AM   #15

That interior fail is definitely a win! Which brand of matte clear did you use?

There's a lot going on inside the transmission. The binding caused by the idler/spur cover bothers me. I almost thought I should take the included shim off of the idler shaft, but after looking at it it still has lots of front to back play so the shim isn't the issue.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:57 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

There's a lot going on inside the transmission. The binding caused by the idler/spur cover bothers me. I almost thought I should take the included shim off of the idler shaft, but after looking at it it still has lots of front to back play so the shim isn't the issue.
I think someone should develop an aluminum replacement. I think there will be some failures both mechanical and electrical because of that thin cover

Old 10-03-2019, 11:04 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
What ESC did you use? My plan was to go with the Mamba X, but I'm thinking it won't fit in the ESC side of the electronics tray.

Mamba X - 54.4mm x 32.5mm
ESC side of the electronics tray - 48.1mm x 33.4mm.

T Obviously, the tray is wide enough for the Mamba X, but it appears to be too short by 6.3mm.
A tiny one.

I'll get pics of the electronics install up soon.

Large ESCs have to be mounted on the rear bulkhead of the cage like how shown in the manual.

Quote:

Pretty sure it was Krylon. The can said "crystal clear" which was clearly (pun intended) a lie.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Thanks. Mamba X being ordered.

Old 10-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #19

Quote:
I think someone should develop an aluminum replacement. I think there will be some failures both mechanical and electrical because of that thin cover

That's a lot of parts to be aluminum which would be a lot of additional weight so I'm not so sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Pretty sure it was Krylon. The can said "crystal clear" which was clearly (pun intended) a lie.
Thanks.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:46 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
That's a lot of parts to be aluminum which would be a lot of additional weight so I'm not so sure.

Thanks.
I'm thinking just the cover. I really like the truck. I only assembled one for my local HobbyTown so I don't own one, but this is my biggest issue with the truck.

Great build log so far, very entertaining and informational. Lol

Capra America: A Super Build by SVT - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Elements: An Enduro kit build by SVT svt923 Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 66 01-26-2021 08:02 AM
Bomber or Capra macman809 Axial RR10 Bomber 54 02-28-2020 03:00 PM
A Super Special Bomber Build by SVT svt923 Axial RR10 Bomber 43 07-02-2019 09:02 AM
Help me pick out some tires for my 1/8th Scale SVT Raptor build DeoreDX Tires and Wheels 3 02-19-2014 12:23 PM
svt raptor scale build King James Paint and Body 14 11-27-2011 09:36 AM