Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Chompers the Capra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2020, 03:16 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Chompers the Capra

Finally got a Capra to add to the fleet and figured it would be good to do a thread for once. First few posts will be catch-up. I have only had it 2 weeks, but there have been several iterations:

Got this from papafogle, in literally brand new condition:
RC's

Quick Specs: Hobbywing 1080, HH Crawlmaster Sport 16T, Protek 130T, Reefs 99 micro. Also thought it was a good time to try the GT-5 as I like the GT-3C I have.

Swapped over to Rock Beasts with CI foams:
RC's

From there, I gave her her first scratches on my basement course, and thought about what direction to head in.

Last edited by Statenheimer; 09-14-2020 at 06:45 AM.
Statenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2020, 03:17 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Chompers the Capra

First batch of parts then started to arrive:

- SSD Portal weights (all 4 corners)
- SSD Aluminum Servo mounts
- Losi Mini-T Springs to fine-tune

In order to fit the Reefs 99 in a way that I was happy with, I had to do a little trimming of the Transmission, Skidplate and SSD Servo Mount:
RC's

RC's

I also swapped the beadlock rings in anticipation of the theme. I generally don't like red, but I had a plan:
RC's

Then some crawling and testing on the basement course:
RC's
Finally got her out in the wild, and the only pic I took was when I swapped over to try 2.2's:
RC's

They were fun and different, but it'll primarily be on 1.9's.

Upon arriving home, I broke out the dremel to coax out a little more steering angle, and was very happy with how much I actually gained:
RC's

This also required bending the steering link, which I got a little overzealous with... but then I thought 'why not flip the ends' and I really liked the final result:
RC's

Last edited by Statenheimer; 09-14-2020 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-07-2020, 03:18 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I received a Gens Ace Adventure 4300 with it, and while I am stoked for the run-time, the soft springs up front couldn't keep up, so I swapped to Mediums all the way around, I also received my wrap, as well as my TGH Wild Overdrive gears:
RC's

At this point I also received my package from Spare Time Hobbies. A flat Skid, and their fuel cell:
RC's

From there, I went on a nice long hike/crawl today, and have to say, I am blown away with the results:
RC's

RC's

This thing has me re-imagining what a crawl-able line is. It really is that good. I have some other things in the works, but the plan is to stay simpler on this one, keeping stock plastic axle housings, etc. but I do have a spare front on the way, just in case.

I have some headlight/tailight parts and switching on the way as well, and plan to do rock lights in the near future.

I have also done some modding to the GT-5 as I think it will be replacing my GT-3C now...

I stole the extra orange grip from the GT-3C. For some reason I like the large on the controller, but the small on the GT-5. I also soldered a hole in it and ran some cord into a screw-hole to provide a lanyard clip point:
RC's

Then I added a Hot Racing Aluminum wheel as the stock wheel and foam are woefully bad:
RC's

RC's

RC's

Any yes, it feels as good as it looks. They have several different styles and finishes. Really dresses it up. Super happy with it.

Last edited by Statenheimer; 09-14-2020 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-07-2020, 03:28 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Pictures defective?
NKlamerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:32 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKlamerus View Post
Pictures defective?
Crap, will have to work on that, thank you.
Old 09-07-2020, 03:33 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statenheimer View Post
Crap, will have to work on that, thank you.
I'm on tapatalk not sure if that makes a difference. This is what I see
Old 09-07-2020, 03:52 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thank you both. Should be fixed now...

I am also finally updated.

Last edited by Statenheimer; 09-07-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:29 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Pics came through! Makes me want a Capra considering my bomber can't crawl much anymore.

Excited for the lights

Is it pretty quick with the 16T? I believe the Capra trans is lower, plus the diffs and extra Portal gearing?
Old 09-07-2020, 05:08 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

It was a bit until I realized there was a 14t on it, and the motor was getting crazy hot :eek:

Swapped to an 11t and it was smooth sailing today. Highest speed now is plenty for me, and it crawls way better. I have a 10t on the way as that is what HH recommends, but we will see...

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2020, 07:19 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Pictures still not working for me.
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:07 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmeow View Post
Pictures still not working for me.
Hmm, not sure what the issue would be, they have worked for everyone else I know of, and I checked on several other devices after the initial issue. Sorry.

Old 09-08-2020, 10:50 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statenheimer View Post
Hmm, not sure what the issue would be, they have worked for everyone else I know of, and I checked on several other devices after the initial issue. Sorry.

Nope ...big spaces with minus signs ...nothing else .
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:51 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Well then. Thank you for letting me know all, will try to figure it out tonight.

Old 09-08-2020, 01:19 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
That's what I'm (still) getting. I would love to seem them as there seems to be a lot of photos.

How about a link so we can go and see them instead of referring/embedding them? I know Goggle Photos sucks sometimes. I see similar issues on my model trains forums.

(Note, it will always work for you as you are the owner of the pictures/account.)
Old 09-08-2020, 01:39 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

For everyone interested, you can see all the photos of the Capra at the following link:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1TQV2NVirnCf4YxTA

I have tried changing permissions and everything and had 4 people confirm they worked last night (also worked for me incognito) but who knows what happened now, I also cannot see them incognito anymore...

Thanks for the interest, and perseverance.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:35 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Now I see them! Very nice! I like the short clip videos. What color red is that?
Old 09-08-2020, 07:44 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Thanks! The original red body paint? Not sure, that would be a question for papafogle.

Old 09-14-2020, 09:03 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Ok everyone, since Google and Amazon didn't want to play nice, Flickr it is. The whole thread should be re-vamped now with all the correct embeds, etc. Thank you everyone for helping and bearing with me.

Have some updates as well:
RC's

First up is the Gmade shocks. I have their 104mm XDs on my Yota and like them, they are finally due for a re-build, but still work well. These are the Zero shocks in a 94mm length:
RC's

I went slightly longer only because the compressed length is actually a little shorter than current giving me a little bit more articulation without being too much, as well as the preload adjustability. So far I like them:
RC's

I also added a black SSD servo horn, same length as the Axial, but black because, well, it looks better... Also tried out the Reefs Servo washers on my Protek steering servo. Something I have never tried/thought I needed, but am very happy with how solid and accurate the servo location is now. You can also see the carbon vinyl I put on to cover the Protek blue.
RC's

Unfortunately I did not do enough research on the SSD hubs, and got the standard offset ones. This caused an interface issue between the SSD portal covers and my inner wheel bolts. SSD's extended hexes are on the way as well as a set of 3mm hubs to widen the front a little extra.

I haven't gotten so far as winch usage on any of my rigs, but I have tried the DSM self recovery system on my Yota, so I thought I would add one here as well. I had an RC4WD fairlead sitting around, so some dremel and drill work on the grill, and snipping the end off the bungie leads us here:
RC's

In that photo you can also just make out the SSD Steering knuckles that I added as well.

Went on a cool hike with the wife over the weekend and threw the Capra on my bag, just in-case. About 1.5 miles in there were some awesome caves/cliffs/rocks, so we took a break:
RC's

RC's

RC's

RC's

I received some SBC items for the build (toolbox, shovel and pickax) and did some wiring up of LED's as well:
RC's

RC's

Looking closely, you can also see the Hobbico voltage meter I found in one of my old nitro toolboxes. Just happens to be the exact right size for the rear section of the cage.

Only thing I couldn't do is the MyTrickRC Attack high power headlights. They have to run at 5V, and my BEC is at 7.4 for the servos. I thought it might work anyway, but they are CRAZY bright and get SUPER hot in like 2 seconds, not good. All other lights work at this voltage, and with everything switchable with the Club5 adapter, I am going to have to find a way to wire in a voltage regulator for these...

Last edited by Statenheimer; 09-14-2020 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:15 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Pics and rig look great! Makes me want to crawl!
Old 09-14-2020, 02:32 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Great pics!

Who makes the rear red LED lights?

Tags
build thread, capra

Chompers the Capra - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VFD Capra...Can I Still Call It A Capra? mjensen Axial Capra 107 11-20-2021 03:56 AM
Used Capra Jbird123 General Crawlers 9 12-28-2019 04:50 PM
Capra with 2.2s Mr. Crawley EC Tires and Wheels 5 12-17-2019 07:06 AM
Rock Chompers? microgoat Tires and Wheels 11 02-28-2008 11:17 AM