Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Capra transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2021, 12:42 PM   #1

Default Capra transmission

I’ve been toying with the idea of building a Capra without buying the kit, same way I did my SCX10 trucks, this way I don’t end up with replaced parts laying around and installing the components I choose from the start. The only area that I have concern is the Capra transmission, I can find the cases pretty easy and metal gears but not much else, has anyone seen the transmissions for sale or know who sells them, this is one item I wouldn’t mind buying and replacing parts rather than trying to find all the smaller shafts and bearing and the sort.
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Rick_Sharp; 03-22-2021 at 12:47 PM.
Rick_Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2021, 02:50 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Capra transmission

If you are starting from scratch, I would get a Spare Time Hobbies skid and use a normal 3 gear transmission.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 04:07 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I guess it depends on what electronics and what kind of driving you’re going to do. I will say that just building the axles alone in stock for just about covers the kit cost.
A lot of people hate on the Capra trans because you can’t change the gearing and it’s geared high. 11t pinion is as small as you can go but Viaton makes a case that I believe enables you to run a 9t pinion. I found that running castle esc’s with a proper setup throttle curve works great for me. I spend most of my time on the rocks, and my electronics never get more than slightly warm. That’s a micro x with a 2850kv slate motor and Capra axles I ran in the past now I run a sw4 and 2200kv revolver both Capra transmissions in lcg flat rail trucks.
I’ve been fortunate enough to pick up a couple complete units from members here that swapped their stock units out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:52 PM   #4

I already have the axles and cage with shocks as well, I’ll have to look into the spare time hobbies skid, I have a couple three gear on hand as well, just didn’t know about a different skid but that makes perfect sense. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick_Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:21 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'll second the suggestion of getting one of the alternative aluminum transmission cases. Vitavon is one good option from what I hear, but I just picked up one from Treal. Fit and finish was amazing. Now I am able to run a 9T pinion, and that gets my FDR back down to almost 49:1. It can properly creep along now. Honestly, I'm thinking of running it on 4S to give it some snappiness when needed.

I was originally thinking of swapping in a 3-gear trans, but I would want dig, and the additional parts to add dig would have been a lot more expensive than the $68 I paid for the Treal trans case.
boldfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:43 AM   #6
Hal
Quarry Creeper

I would definitely recommend the different transmission. The Capra transmission is geared way too high. If you go brushless with anything higher than 3000 kv things start getting hot. I went with a SCX10 Wraith transmission and different skid. Very happy with the gearing options. I also run a full carbon fiber chassis and comp with mine. Still working on what foams to run and can't decide on narrowed or stock width tires. I built mine one piece at a time also. If you go to any large crawling events a lot of people usually have spare or take off parts for sale. Keep us posted on your progress.
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:04 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I don't mind the Capra transmission at all. A good 35-turn feels just about perfect to me, even geared way down.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 12:21 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

what did you end up doing? I'm considering a scratch build as well.
mikesativa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:08 PM   #9

I would run the 3 gear and flat skid
Njeffs8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:33 PM   #10

This thing with the spare time skid has been great so far.

Que-T Metal Aluminum Gearbox... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LYK889L...p_mob_ap_share

It’s essentially a copy of the vanquish trans. Complete with Hertz dig.
BendCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Capra transmission - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 2 kit transmission into Capra Traulus Axial Capra 0 04-27-2020 12:11 PM
AX10 Transmission on The Capra? Shinobid Axial Capra 3 12-23-2019 10:44 AM