Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: My Capra with 10.2 f9 currie axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2021, 08:19 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default My Capra with 10.2 f9 currie axles

I bought a Capra kit a few weeks ago, and before i had driven it I ordered a new cage set off eBay for my second Capra. After driving this one a couple times, the first Capra went up for sale. [mention]Fricker08 [/mention]scooped it up, and hopefully will post his own thread on it.

One thing I want to mention, everything on this build besides the skid plate and motor/Esc I bought second hand, or at a discount. it’s a fairly high end build, but maybe not as expensive as you might think if you’re bargain shopping.

-Stock Capra cage and body set
-UCFab flat 3 gear delrin skid plate
-Incision Capra upper and lower links
-Incision rod ends at the axles
-Stock Capra rod ends at the skid plate (swapped the stock angled rod ends to the upper links as well due to incision front upper links being shorter)
-Trx4 shocks with Trx4 yellow springs, 60wt, white x ring spacers, black pistons and Ti shafts
-Vanquish 3 gear trans
-Incision driveshafts
-vanquish 10.2 Currie f9 axles (u/d ring and pinion in the rear axle)
-Vanquish Currie servo on axle mount
-Vanquish Method Roost wheels with .350” hubs
-Pitbull growlers with 2 stage foam
-Holmes SHV800 servo w/vp 20mm horn
-Castle Mamba Micro x
-Holmes Puller Pro stubby 2700kv

Hope you like it. This thing has become my do it all rig, it’s fast enough to have fun driving on flat ground, it’s possibly my most capable rigs in the rocks, and it just looks damn good IMO. I know there’s a been a few done already, but I’m surprised there aren’t more.
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2021, 02:17 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: My Capra with 10.2 f9 currie axles

Pictures don’t do this thing justice, I drove it all but about 15 min and I was sold. So when I had the chance to pick up Twades spare Capra, I jumped on it. Did some dealing and now I’m replicating this thing in clear.
So far it’s a pretty straight forward swap with minor adjustments like the rod ends and pivot balls.

Definitely like that the interior fits with minor trimming, even though it has to be flipped so dig is out of the question for now. But hopefully If we get to that point we can build an interior around the trans if need be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:55 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Very interesting and unique idea! I never liked capras, but I'm all over this.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:21 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
Pictures don’t do this thing justice, I drove it all but about 15 min and I was sold. So when I had the chance to pick up Twades spare Capra, I jumped on it. Did some dealing and now I’m replicating this thing in clear.
So far it’s a pretty straight forward swap with minor adjustments like the rod ends and pivot balls.

Definitely like that the interior fits with minor trimming, even though it has to be flipped so dig is out of the question for now. But hopefully If we get to that point we can build an interior around the trans if need be

You should definitely start a thread on it, yours is going to be sick.

Old 09-19-2021, 04:24 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post
Very interesting and unique idea! I never liked capras, but I'm all over this.

I’ve seen at least two on here (not counting Fricker’s), but the first one I saw was done by [mention]imthatguy [/mention]who has a video on it.

Compared to my relatively stock Capra, this is more enjoyable and useable as a trail truck, or all around rig, but I honestly can’t say that it’s less capable. I’m sure certain situations it’s better, others worse.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:16 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Got it out for a little rip at lunch time. Super stoked on the 2700kv and 11t pinion combo. Definitely think I’ll end up adding a dig before I consider it finished.

Also pleasantly surprised at the Pitbull growlers, they hook up better than I expected considering the tread pattern. Not the best traction wise, but they will be staying on here long term. Much better look than the trenchers. Since this is more of an all around fun truck I’m okay with the trade off in looks/performance.

Old 09-25-2021, 06:15 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Default My Capra with 10.2 f9 currie axles

Got out for less than an hour this afternoon, still stoked on this rig. I will definitely have to add a dig this winter in preparation for next season, but for now it’s going to get driven as much as possible before the rain sets in.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Aab31-_RjIU&feature=share

Last edited by twade984; 09-25-2021 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-25-2021, 06:29 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

That's pretty slick. I like it!

s
SteveB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:39 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Nice dude! Glad you were able to get out n run it. I enjoyed this build more than most of the trucks I’ve built. Appreciate the inspiration

Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:04 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Thanks guys I appreciate it
Old 10-03-2021, 05:49 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Got out for a couple hours, only got a couple pictures. Still stoked on this thing, but I think [mention]Fricker08 [/mention] ended up with a better finished product than me.

Also met up with [mention]slickwillie [/mention]and we had an impromptu Capra meet

Old 10-05-2021, 10:56 PM   #12
Keep it real

Nice work! I like it😎 I built almost the same thing the other day, only I used scx10ii currie portals to keep it narrow. I never liked the look of the wide Capra axles, but with the narrow axles it looks just right IMO
How’s the slow speed control with the 2700kv motor?
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:35 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
Nice work! I like it I built almost the same thing the other day, only I used scx10ii currie portals to keep it narrow. I never liked the look of the wide Capra axles, but with the narrow axles it looks just right IMO
How’s the slow speed control with the 2700kv motor?

That sounds awesome, I’d like to see it

One of my first thoughts was 10.3 portals, but then you’re stuck dealing with lack of upper link and servo mount. F9’s are a perfect choice though, portal or not.

I’ve also seen were I think scale metal supply makes a conversion kit to basically swap the entire enduro running gear into a Capra cage, that would not be a bad budget route IMO.

Low speed is great with the 2700kv, I’m running an 11t pinion, 3s, and dialed in a bit of throttle curve with the castle link as per Holmes tuning video. I’m realizing now that you don’t necessarily sacrifice low speed control with a higher kv motor, definitely not if you’re able to gear down a little. You basically just end up with a wider range.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:29 PM   #14
Keep it real

Here’s some pics for ya
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2021, 05:39 PM   #15
Keep it real

The nice thing about the straight axle F9’s is I get a lot more steering out of them than the F9 portals
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2021, 06:27 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
The nice thing about the straight axle F9’s is I get a lot more steering out of them than the F9 portals

I agree, that is a big part of the reason why I sold my ultra after only a couple weeks.

The Capra looks awesome with the portals. I briefly considered making this a portal rear truck, I’ve been intrigued by that setup since I first saw it. But some other things developed and now there may or may not be a new project in the works that will utilize a rear portal axle.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:06 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

nice looking rig ... i definitely like the straight axles on the capra as youve done it ... portals are great but dont look as menacing and the stance is much better looking... I am still debating on building a class 2 capra axle or straight ... i really like the narrow vp capra axle but i dont know if i really want the portals.
Speedy-Triple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:29 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy-Triple View Post
nice looking rig ... i definitely like the straight axles on the capra as youve done it ... portals are great but dont look as menacing and the stance is much better looking... I am still debating on building a class 2 capra axle or straight ... i really like the narrow vp capra axle but i dont know if i really want the portals.

Thanks!

I’ve definitely moved away from portals, but I recognize the benefits of them.

By narrow Capra axles, do you mean the scx10III axles?

Old 11-03-2021, 02:43 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Took the Capra out for a walk with my son to the park across the street. Since I’m limited to 3s by the micro x, I think I’m going to up my pinion to 13t from the 11t that’s in currently. Also think I will take out a little bit of the throttle curve I have programmed.

Old 03-08-2022, 01:19 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Took the Capra for a short lunch time crawl session. I am auditioning the gr8 scale hardware, but don’t like the look. Going to change out to stainless.

Still need to change my pinion, and retune the micro x, but haven’t felt like dropping everything out of the cage.

Also found one of the knuckle screws backing out, making my already short run even shorter.

My Capra with 10.2 f9 currie axles - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VP Currie axles or GCM Metalhead axles for scx10 Swamp Dowg Axial SCX-10 8 03-31-2013 11:03 AM