Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Hybrid Capra Advice needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2022, 09:57 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Hybrid Capra Advice needed

So I'm looking to pick up a Capra builders kit.

I want to do the RC4WD Blazer body. Did some searching but didn't find much in the way of info.

So I guess I'll need to do a hybrid build to fit a hardbody.

What are my best options for frame rails? Cantilever suspension is a possibility on this build for the bed clearance on the hardbody. I will also be keeping it with 1.9 wheels.

I would prefer to go with metal frame rails, but that isn't set in stone as of yet. I already have a TF2 for a leaf spring rig, and after test driving a Capra, it has cemented the Capra as my next purchase, but I'm not digging the cage "body".

Thanks in advance!
-RC Perspective
RC Perspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2022, 01:16 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Hybrid Capra Advice needed

i think you might be forgetting the wider track that the capra axels have ... might stick out way to far for a unmolested RC4WD blazer body... it can def work by the wheel choice and some trimming but not many options that can keep the portals tucked in the wheels. Sounds like a cool project. why not give it a shot.
Speedy-Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 05:16 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

This is one I want to follow, because it's the sort of "this is going to take a whole lotta work" type of project that I enjoy (I'm midway through getting a Vanquish Origin body onto an Artful Dodgers GroundFox)
Having already built my own custom Capra, I can tell you you've got a job ahead of you. I just wanna see that 3lb body sitting on F9 axles. The CG is gonna be ridiculous.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 06:51 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Yeah the width of the Capra axles will be a challenge. Its hard enough tucking AR44's under fenders for a scale look let alone wider Capra axles. Team Garage Hack Capra wheels might be the best bet for the narrowest wheels.

You might also consider not getting a Capra kit and instead getting a scale crawler kit of some sort and just swapping the Capra axles over to it.

OR.... watch some Moon buggy videos so you can form an understanding of why the "cage". It may change your mind possibly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAOpMpX55Vc
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:43 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy-Triple View Post
i think you might be forgetting the wider track that the capra axels have ... might stick out way to far for a unmolested RC4WD blazer body... it can def work by the wheel choice and some trimming but not many options that can keep the portals tucked in the wheels. Sounds like a cool project. why not give it a shot.
I know the Capra is much wider than the RC4WD bodies. It's still on the drawing board at this point but I'm set on the Capra build. TY for the vote of confidence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
This is one I want to follow, because it's the sort of "this is going to take a whole lotta work" type of project that I enjoy (I'm midway through getting a Vanquish Origin body onto an Artful Dodgers GroundFox)
Having already built my own custom Capra, I can tell you you've got a job ahead of you. I just wanna see that 3lb body sitting on F9 axles. The CG is gonna be ridiculous.
Agreed. That type of build is right up my alley though! I'm usually an all or nothing type of builder. I'll find a way to not have such a ridiculous COG. Not perfect, but not too ridiculous LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Yeah the width of the Capra axles will be a challenge. Its hard enough tucking AR44's under fenders for a scale look let alone wider Capra axles. Team Garage Hack Capra wheels might be the best bet for the narrowest wheels.

You might also consider not getting a Capra kit and instead getting a scale crawler kit of some sort and just swapping the Capra axles over to it.

OR.... watch some Moon buggy videos so you can form an understanding of why the "cage". It may change your mind possibly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAOpMpX55Vc
I've done scale already,
Oh look, Another TF2 build thread...... (Watch me transform a used ebay TF2)
The Capra build doesn't necessarily have to be scale, but I love the platform. I know that platform will change with the type of build I have in mind. I like to design, build, tinker and figure out how to make stuff work that probably shouldn't

Thanks for the input!
-RC Perspective
Old 09-08-2022, 01:11 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I personally like the idea, but I will say for simplicity’s sake going to a frame rail with Capra axles rather than a cage will be a lot better imo. mounting the blazer body alone to me is enough reason to go to a frame rail style chassis, unless you were going to make cage side panels out of the blazer than obviously keep the cage, but for a full body a regular c channel or flat rail may be the best bet.

Either way I look forward to seeing this come together when you get to it.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 08:48 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

a bit of advice with a build like this dont buy a kit just buy what you need and what upgrades you want you save money in the long run

and for the whocares the capra is a scale copy of a 1:1 we rock buggie
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:55 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
I personally like the idea, but I will say for simplicity’s sake going to a frame rail with Capra axles rather than a cage will be a lot better imo. mounting the blazer body alone to me is enough reason to go to a frame rail style chassis, unless you were going to make cage side panels out of the blazer than obviously keep the cage, but for a full body a regular c channel or flat rail may be the best bet.

Either way I look forward to seeing this come together when you get to it.
Yea that's my thought as well. Just take a bit of research to narrow down which rails I'll need for it. I'm probably not going to use the cage at all, which means I'll need to get creative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
a bit of advice with a build like this dont buy a kit just buy what you need and what upgrades you want you save money in the long run

and for the whocares the capra is a scale copy of a 1:1 we rock buggie
I figure it may wind up being cheaper to get the builders kit, than to buy everything separately. I can always resell what I don't use.

Yeah it being made after a rock buggy will make some extra work for sure. I'm down for the challenge though. This build will certainly take some planning. Which will almost require having the full Capra kit to compare to.

Nice input guys! Keep it coming!
-RC Perspective
Old 09-08-2022, 11:50 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Perspective View Post

I figure it may wind up being cheaper to get the builders kit, than to buy everything separately. I can always resell what I don't use.

Nice input guys! Keep it coming!
-RC Perspective
nope you spend way more cause your gona have to replace all the stock parts eventualy anyway and you can build a way better rig for less than a kit + upgrades
Old 09-08-2022, 01:00 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Personally I’m having a hard time wrapping my mind around a Capra axle based rc4wd blazer build… but maybe that’s just lack of imagination on my part.

Irrelevant to chassis choice, but what size tire are you picturing on this rig?

Also, are you planning to run servo on axle/4 link, or convert to cms/panhard? Either way is possible, with soa being the most straight forward choice.

Do you have a preference for c-channel or flat rail chassis?

I can think up legitimate arguments for a 10.2 chassis, element chassis, vs410 chassis, g-speed/TGH chassis, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:25 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
nope you spend way more cause your gona have to replace all the stock parts eventualy anyway and you can build a way better rig for less than a kit + upgrades
I guess what I am trying to say is, until I build, use and hold a Capra myself, I won't know which direction to go. I need to have the full Capra to get started. That doesn't include only buying what I need. I would rather get it all and work from there, even if that route is more expensive.

Besides, who doesn't like having extras when you start upgrading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Personally I’m having a hard time wrapping my mind around a Capra axle based rc4wd blazer build… but maybe that’s just lack of imagination on my part.

Irrelevant to chassis choice, but what size tire are you picturing on this rig?

Also, are you planning to run servo on axle/4 link, or convert to cms/panhard? Either way is possible, with soa being the most straight forward choice.

Do you have a preference for c-channel or flat rail chassis?

I can think up legitimate arguments for a 10.2 chassis, element chassis, vs410 chassis, g-speed/TGH chassis, etc.

NGL, I too am having trouble wrapping my head around it as well. That fuzziness should fade once I finally get started on this build. It is still at the drawing board stage, but I really want a hardbody on it. I'm not too worried about it looking "scale".

Servo on axle, and most likely c-channel rails. Which would most likely lean me towards the 10.2. The Capra is something else though, and I'm dead set on starting with one.

Haven't fully thought of the tire size yet, though leaning towards smaller diameter 1.9s.

Thanks for the input!
-RC Perspective
Old 09-08-2022, 11:05 PM   #12
RCC Addict

For what it’s worth I did a Capra axle swap on a vs4-10 chassis kit quite some time ago. It was a really fun build, I believe I used the Capra skid with minor trimming but the only problem with that is wheel base. The rc4wd blazer is about 11.3-11.4” and that truck sat around 12.5” same as a Capra. I think it’s definitely possible, but if you’re after more of a performance truck maybe a clod buster body is more up your alley? With some work they can be pretty sweet looking and if you want the blazer look you could probably build or 3D print some sort of camper shell. Regardless of what you end up doing, I look forward to seeing it.
Myself, I’ve been wanting to and eventually will be buying an ssd trail king and adding a rc4wd blazer body. Ideally I’d be swapping to twistedfabco leaf springs also. But that may be for another project.
Keep us posted!

Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 06:56 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Default Hybrid Capra Advice needed

Quote:

Capra axles are tricky unless you are buying complete knock off axles from eBay or Amazon.

If you build them piece by piece you’ll have $200-$300 in axles alone, and personally I don’t see them for sale complete very often.

As of a month ago nobody had the good universals or front housings in stock anyway.

At least with buying the kit you’ll get complete axles and a good set of driveshafts. And the fun of putting the kit together if you want.

Personally I would go with the 10.2, or a vs410 chassis. Lots of vp chassis floating around with people parting out Phoenix kits.

Old 09-09-2022, 08:18 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
For what it’s worth I did a Capra axle swap on a vs4-10 chassis kit quite some time ago. It was a really fun build, I believe I used the Capra skid with minor trimming but the only problem with that is wheel base. The rc4wd blazer is about 11.3-11.4” and that truck sat around 12.5” same as a Capra. I think it’s definitely possible, but if you’re after more of a performance truck maybe a clod buster body is more up your alley? With some work they can be pretty sweet looking and if you want the blazer look you could probably build or 3D print some sort of camper shell. Regardless of what you end up doing, I look forward to seeing it.
Myself, I’ve been wanting to and eventually will be buying an ssd trail king and adding a rc4wd blazer body. Ideally I’d be swapping to twistedfabco leaf springs also. But that may be for another project.
Keep us posted!

Fortunately I can 3d print a spacer for the front of the bed to stretch the wheelbase some, I'd also be running it in pickup truck form, so may go to cantilever on the back to clear the bed without too much trimming. I can always print some stuff to glue into the bed to cover up the areas I may need to trim and make it look as if its just stuff in the bed.

Quote:
Capra axles are tricky unless you are buying complete knock off axles from eBay or Amazon.

If you build them piece by piece you’ll have $200-$300 in axles alone, and personally I don’t see them for sale complete very often.

As of a month ago nobody had the good universals or front housings in stock anyway.

At least with buying the kit you’ll get complete axles and a good set of driveshafts. And the fun of putting the kit together if you want.

Personally I would go with the 10.2, or a vs410 chassis. Lots of vp chassis floating around with people parting out Phoenix kits.

Putting the kit together is worth it on its own IMO. Plus I get to work off of the Capra platform to ensure I can keep all the geometries the same.

I'm sure I'll have to upgrade to metal housings to keep the COG low once I get a hardbody on it, but that stage isn't even close yet. So I'll pick up the Capra kit at some point soon, and work from there. I'm thinking 10.2/Capra hybrid at this point. I like the dig and the portals, so I'm wanting to use pretty much everything but the cage/frame of the Capra.

I don't think the hardbody will look TOO terrible on the wider axles, but what I do to the hardbody will depend on how it all comes together.

Thanks again guys!
-RC Perspective
Old 09-09-2022, 08:22 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

thats about all you get are drive shafts and some universal shafts every thing else will need upgrades

the axle still have sintared gears and week plastic axle housings week chubs and week knuckles so you end up upgrading axle housings the gears the hubs the knuckles anyway so really with the kit you get good driveshafts and a clunky transmission with bad gearing
the 3gear with dig is a much better transmission with better gearing and there smoother and cheaper so thats what i would go with

Quote:

thats about right but you wont ever have to worry about your axles cause thats hardened steel gears metal housings and chubs and knuckles and you can substatue brass for the aluminum parts if you want to for only a few dollers more the axles are the hart of the rig

Quote:
i havent noticed ive been pricing out my own set of capra axles my self and have been able to find all the parts in stock

Quote:
the 10ii is vary scale if your building leaf sprung rig or another scale something or another thats the way to go

the trx4 chassie dosent look as good but the geomitry of the chassie is so much better the lower skid makes for a much better center of gravity and suspention link geomitry is better

the vs410 looks alot like the trx4 chassie but its a bit smaller and a bit more scale making it a great choice for a custom build good looks and good link geomitry

since the only really usable part of the kit is some shafts and maybe some tires i dont know if the kit comes with tires or not but if it dose there most likely r35 compound and in my opinion are decent tires i dont see any reason to buy the kit

i just finnished a bit by bit parts build of a 10ii/redcat and with the cost of the parts i havent got yet its gona come in around 250 if i were to rebuy the parts i had on hand already it would be around 300 but

a 10ii rtr is almost 400 now and if i went with the stock redcat gen7 pro there what 280 now

so i build a fully upgraded 10ii with lcg chassie metal axles aluminum 3gear trans aluminum wheels brand new tires and nice interally sprung shocks metal driveshafts and stainless steel links for about 300

so if i went with ether a 10ii rtr or kit or even a redcat gen7 by the time i bought upgrade parts i would have been in the 500 range easy

basicly if your doing a custom build you save money by peicing it together with quality parts and your less likely to have down time from broken parts

Last edited by ferp420; 09-09-2022 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:04 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Perspective View Post
I'm thinking 10.2/Capra hybrid at this point. I like the dig and the portals, so I'm wanting to use pretty much everything but the cage/frame of the Capra.

I don't think the hardbody will look TOO terrible on the wider axles, but what I do to the hardbody will depend on how it all comes together.

Thanks again guys!

-RC Perspective

The more I think about it, the more I really want to see what you come up with. I look forward to seeing it.

Quote:
the axle still have sintared gears and week plastic axle housings week chubs and week knuckles

Good point, while the ring and pinion are machined, the portal gears are sintered aren’t they?

Hybrid Capra Advice needed - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another Capra Hybrid Fricker08 Axial Capra 38 08-25-2021 07:51 PM
Questions on capra axle swap to wraith/bomber hybrid HELP NEEDED! LOL anotherbrokenaxle Axial Wraith 2 06-08-2021 05:35 AM
Advice needed sc10 man Non Crawler RC's 1 05-21-2012 07:56 PM
Crawler King hybrid project advice needed. HarrisinFord HPI Wheely King 3 03-16-2011 01:34 PM
advice needed 44mags Newbie General 8 02-06-2009 10:25 PM