Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Capra qtr dig servo cycling ever few seconds?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2022, 04:14 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Capra qtr dig servo cycling ever few seconds?

Just getting started - first day out today got the RTR Capra 1.9 non-ws. First crawler and it seemed to work pretty well and was a lot of fun first time out on some rocks.

Question is the dig servo. It worked OK a couple times. Then I noticed the servo was making a noise ever few seconds, as if I was hitting the button or something trying to make it work. I searched around and there's a lot about setting it up that I'll go through and maybe it will take care of it.

But I am curious to understand what could cause that to happen. I mean if I hit the button and it doesn't work, it's either going to stop or the servo is going to be overloaded and stuck or something - maybe constant humm or something. This, just a quick servo noise and I can see the horn twitch ever 3-5 seconds... then quiet like normal.

Planning to take it all down and grease and just see how it all works, but was hoping someone might be able to explain that behavior before I dive in.
chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2022, 07:36 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Capra qtr dig servo cycling ever few seconds?

So it seems as if it really is 'retrying' somehow. I switched the RTR over to my Fleshy g7 radio and have ability to adjust endpoints.

Dig disengages (wheels turn) when the 'plunger' on the transmission is pressed IN. With my radio and the RTR build - this works still if I adjust my endpoint to 0 from my radio. The dig engagement doesn't seem to really care much - I have it like -70 and it works fine.

The problem is that EVEN at 0, it does this little thing ever few seconds where the servo twitches. If I set endpoint to like 70 or something arbitrary but semi normal (not 0) it does the twitch ever few seconds. It's like it's pushing the plunger in too far, which is reasonable, except why does it twitch - why doesn't it just hum or burn or shut the hell up.... to just randomly try ever 3 seconds? I don't understand what's going on there. :(
Old 09-17-2022, 07:51 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

my guess would be its browning out cause the endpoints arent right
it gets full power then the voltage drops then the servo backs off then gets full power again
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 07:55 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Sounds to me like that servo is going out. I also feel like I'd look for a replacement even if you find that there was another issue at play like a connection or esc/ rx issue. My stock dig servo is fine but I haven't used it hardly at all. Not sure how decent they are regarding specs and reliability but I'd guess not that great. I dunno... it's one of the first things I replace when I'm having any issues at all.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 10:30 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

It sounds like what my 10.3 shift / dig servo was doing. It did it more in the dig set up, than it did when set up for 2 speed shifting.

What finally fixed mine was getting the end point set perfectly. Both end points needed to be at the perfect spot to prevent that servo twitching.

But getting the end points set at just the right point was harder for dig, than it was for 2 speed.

Either way, it probably won't kill your servo if you let it keep doing that. If it annoys you and you want it gone, it'll take several tries at setting those end points unless you just get lucky on your first try. I didn't, and I re-did it 5-10 times, and still only got it right in the 2 speed config.

I never was able to set the points perfectly for getting reliable dig function, and a quiet servo. I settled for reliable dig function.
Fallen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 12:36 PM   #6
Ots
Quarry Creeper

Mine was not an RTR but did the same twitch thing. I changed servos and it still did it. Could not adjust it out. Changed receivers and it still did it. Disconnected it and installed the recommended spacer to disable dig from working. That solved the problem - just no dig. I didn't dig dig anyway.
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 05:26 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I was able to get mine sorted pretty well with my new radio and end points. I can even get it to be locked, freewheel, or engaged. But the point where it freewheels is very small and it almost never stays calibrated so I just use regular dig and that part's working OK now.

Tags
dig servo

Capra qtr dig servo cycling ever few seconds? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scx24 steering Capra dig servo Hal Micro Scale Rigs 1 01-06-2021 05:30 AM
Axial Capra Dig Servo Setup with FLysky GT-5 Transmitter inomad Newbie General 0 08-05-2020 12:13 PM
how to program futaba 4PX radio to run dig servo on axial capra Dmcclellan007 Newbie General 9 05-16-2020 03:21 PM