Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Parts needed to mount Axe motor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2023, 07:21 AM   #1

Default Parts needed to mount Axe motor?

Hey,

i'm pretty sure it's been asked dozens of times before, so i apologise for being too daft to find a definitive answer: as i understand, an Axe R2 will not fit into the Capra (looking for a 4ws) without modification.

I do have a free Axe R2 (540L 2800kv) that i'm currently looking for a new home for, and i really like the idea of the Capra 4ws.

What do i need to fit it properly (particular skid plate, motor mount etc?), as well as run it properly (it appears that the Capra is geared way high, 2800kv is pretty nippy)?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by m4inbrain; 05-28-2023 at 07:26 AM.
m4inbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2023, 06:21 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Parts needed to mount Axe motor?

My advice would be to use either the Vader or Spare Time Hobbies skid, and one of the Amazon 50-60 dollar 3 gear transmissions with dig (unless you donít want to keep dig just go with a 3 gear). A 2800kv motor with the stock transmission might work but might also just exaggerate the wonky gearing of the stock transmission. I put the Spare Time Hobbies skid on mine, but kept the stock transmission because Iím running a OG Fusion 1800kv. I really like this kv range with the stock transmission, and have no issues with this setup.
Just for the sake of saying, I have heard of people fitting 550 sized motors with the above mentioned skids, but have also heard slight Dremel work needed with both. Mine fit without, but the back of the motor was so close to the rear link mount that I just slightly chamfered the very top of the link mount to be safe.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 10:26 PM   #3

Cheers, appreciate the info. I'll probably run it without dig, i'm not sure i'd miss it with 4ws. I don't know that yet though, since i haven't had a crawler with either of those options (just lockable diffs/2 speed etc).

I'll probably run the stock transmission (with dig) once or twice just to figure things out and go from there, the main concern is the Axe R2. The issue i see is, your 1800kv motor is 49mm long - mine (indeed, all 540L) is 58mm. If yours barely fits, then mine will not by almost a full cm. Grinding a cm into the rear link mount, without having seen those new skid plates yet, is probably not going to work.

Hm. Well.. Hm. Starting to wonder if the Capra might not be the RC of choice for my free R2. :(
m4inbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 08:35 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

No, Iím not running a Fusion 1800 SE in mine. Iím running the original Fusion 1800. The first one released before the 2300 Pro. Itís longer than the Pro or SE, I believe itís listed at 64mm in length. It was just about the exact length of another 550 motor that I had in my spares box.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote

Parts needed to mount Axe motor? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Servo mount/ shock mount help needed Shafty_77 Axial SCX10 II 5 04-05-2017 05:23 PM