Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: bilinvic's RR10 Bomber Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2017, 10:17 AM   #641
RCC Addict

Default Re: bilinvic's RR10 Bomber Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabust View Post
The 1:1 MT/R's are just like that, you need to mount them so the separated lugs are on the outside, just like you mounted your left side tires
this is 100% correct

Last edited by 4RunnerKid; 05-05-2017 at 04:39 PM.
4RunnerKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2017, 04:22 PM   #642
I wanna be Dave

Pics are always better My JK
Attached Images

Last edited by SCREAMER; 05-05-2017 at 04:25 PM.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:47 PM   #643
I wanna be Dave

All fixed up. Thank you guys for the info regarding the Wrangler MT/R tires....I have never seen asymmetrical tires NOT be directional before. Google was my friend finding pics of 1:1 MT/R tires mounted and sure enough, you guys are correct. My apologies to RC4WD, you guys did exactly what Goodyear intended.

RR10_Bomber_9969

Last edited by bilinvic; 08-18-2017 at 10:53 PM.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:56 PM   #644
I wanna be Dave

3 hours and 205 pics later, this whole thread from the beginning has been updated with working photos....once again FU PB

Sadly, I haven't had the Bomber out lately...in fact, it's missing it's MMP ESC that I stole for my TRX4 build. I plan on replacing it sooner than later, I miss this awesome rig!
Old 08-19-2017, 05:54 AM   #645
RCC Addict

Bless you Bill. Thanks for keeping the information and pics out there! Much appreciated.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:58 AM   #646
Rock Crawler

Default bilinvic's RR10 Bomber Build

^ No doubt ^
Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thloftus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:21 AM   #647
Pebble Pounder

Love your rig build threads Bill! An inspiration to many of us and the information and photos included are invaluable!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Fookison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:41 PM   #648
I wanna be Dave

177k+ views and 33 pages, that has to be a record for a build thread lol.

How do you like those PL pro spec shocks and MT/R's? Like them better then hyrax tires? What is your favorite crawling tire? Since you basically own every tire available, lol.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:02 PM   #649
I wanna be Dave

It is a pretty epic thread eh? Who wudda thunk!!!

PL Pro Spec shocks have been great, no issues and no plans to replace them. I've only used the MT/Rs once and I was pretty impressed. I would have to say my favourite 2.2 tire is the Hyrax and for 1.9 it is KLRs. That being said, I still like to use various brands of tires to keep things interesting!!!!
Old 09-26-2017, 06:33 PM   #650
Pebble Pounder

Hello. I need a bit of help on my Bomber suspension. I want it to be a high speed trail truck Currently running stock suspension but here's my build:

RR10 Bomber
14/64 gearing
Castle Sidewinder 3 with Vanguard 3150 motor
XT60 connector
Passive cooling: (2) Bastens aluminum heatsink
Savox sw-1210sg (277.7oz/in, .15s)
Castle 10A BEC enclosed in TRX receiver case
Axial aluminum servo horn
Axial 2spd kit with optional high speed gearing
Traxxas 2075 shifting servo (125oz/in, .17s)
Stock suspension geometry
Stock King shocks/springs
Stock oil
Axial "soft" Rear sway bar
Removed rear spare tire and housing
Slipper clutch 1/2 turn out
Proline 2.2 Hyrax G8 compound tires
Proline stock open cell foams
Front: Proline 2.2 Denali wheels
Rear: Proline 2.2 Faultline wheels
1oz Beef Tubes Beef Patties per front wheel
Traxxas thick gray wheel hexes in rear wheels
1oz lead weight on top of steering servo
1oz wrapped around each end of front axle
1.25oz wrapped around each end of rear axle
Tactic TTX300 transmitter
Energizer Ultimate Lithium in transmitter
Steering dual rate: reduced by 2 notches
Sidewinder ESC Setting: 1.Forward/brake/Reverse, 2.Brakes 50%, 3.Reverse speed 75%, 4.Punch control level 1.High, 5.Drag brake 10%, 6.Dead Band Normal(.1ms), 7.Voltage cutoff Auto, 8.Motor timing Low(0 degrees), 9.Motor type Brushless
Gens Ace 3s 5000mah 50c "short" pack XT60
Front/Rear Ride Height: 1.73"/1.89" (measured at pumping to ground)
Front/Rear track width: 11.25"/11.4"
GPS'd Top speed: 13.5mph/27.5mph
Theoretical Top Speed: 12.62mph/27.14mph
Calculated Motor Power: 945 watts (1.3hp)
Calculated Axle Torque: 8.69/4.04ft-lbs
Rollout: .35:1/.76:1

So it's quite fast at 27.5mph. I like the stock foams in my Hyrax 2.2's. I have a set of the PL dual stage but I like the grip the stock foams provide. My issue is
1. The rear end kicks up (like a donkey kick) when going over bumps at speed and sometimes it'll just front flip
2. Rollovers are terrible. I know it's a solid axle and there's a compromise that comes with it but I'm sure there's a way to tune it. Will I need to upgrade my stock "King shocks" and springs or will I just have to tune the oil?
DeathVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:18 PM   #651
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathVirus View Post
Hello. I need a bit of help on my Bomber suspension. I want it to be a high speed trail truck Currently running stock suspension but here's my build:

1. The rear end kicks up (like a donkey kick) when going over bumps at speed and sometimes it'll just front flip
2. Rollovers are terrible. I know it's a solid axle and there's a compromise that comes with it but I'm sure there's a way to tune it. Will I need to upgrade my stock "King shocks" and springs or will I just have to tune the oil?
I'd guess the rear end kicking up is because the rear dampers are bottoming out and the resulting force kicks the rear chassis up. Try increasing the bump stiffness of the dampers by changing either the piston type or the oil viscosity.

If you slide the little rubber bump stops part way up the damper shaft and run the Bomber over a problem ridge the rubber bump stops should be pushed back to touch the spring seats...if not then my other theory applies - too much compression damping at the rear so you will need to reduce the oil viscosity or change for damper pistons with softer damping characteristics.

Are you using stock spring rates?
IntrepidMercians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:36 PM   #652
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntrepidMercians View Post
I'd guess the rear end kicking up is because the rear dampers are bottoming out and the resulting force kicks the rear chassis up. Try increasing the bump stiffness of the dampers by changing either the piston type or the oil viscosity.

If you slide the little rubber bump stops part way up the damper shaft and run the Bomber over a problem ridge the rubber bump stops should be pushed back to touch the spring seats...if not then my other theory applies - too much compression damping at the rear so you will need to reduce the oil viscosity or change for damper pistons with softer damping characteristics.

Are you using stock spring rates?
Yes stock rear springs. I increased the oil to 45wt and it seems to handle better now.

I also just changed the front springs today to the stiffer 2.85lb/in green springs. I couldn't find the 2.47lb/in so I went with the stiffer ones. I put 40wt oil in there and while it helps me not rollover as much it seems to not take the bumps as well as before. I wonder if I should drop down to the 2.07lb/in springs and put 35wt oil in there instead.

To help out some I also lowered my top speed on hi to ~24mph on a full charge. Read 23.6mph on GPS but wasn't fully charged. That should help with high speed handling too. I had to tear it down and change the gears to the 1.08 ratio in high gear.

Last edited by DeathVirus; 10-02-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:56 PM   #653
I wanna be Dave

I don't run my crawler rigs for "high speeds" and therefore don't have a lot of advice for you. InterpidMercians' info will hopefully be helpful to you. Perhaps a stiffer sway bar would help with rollovers as well.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #654
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
I don't run my crawler rigs for "high speeds" and therefore don't have a lot of advice for you. InterpidMercians' info will hopefully be helpful to you. Perhaps a stiffer sway bar would help with rollovers as well.
Based on your setup your rig should be 21-22MPH so it's not too far from my setup in terms of speed. I know the Pro-specs need a heavier oil than your usual shocks. I think people running 35wt in powerstrokes have to use ~50wt in the pro-specs. Am I correct? What springs are you running? It seems the rear end in your setup is very heavily dampend. Does it ever donkey-kick when going over bumps (the rear end kicks up off the ground)?

I intend to use stiff springs in the rear because the torque twist is horrid on the Bomber. Even with the Axial "soft" rear sway bar it's still quite nasty
Old 10-06-2017, 04:44 PM   #655
I wanna be Dave

IIRC, this Bomber build runs regular Wraith length links. Not the trailing arms of the Bomber, short Twin Hammers, or mid length Wraith ones. The links are best for crawling and the TAs are for speed.

@bilinvic has a bad assed only eclipsed by his bad assed picturesque locale. Super jealous of that and the high grip rocks.
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #656
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Based on your setup your rig should be 21-22MPH so it's not too far from my setup in terms of speed. I know the Pro-specs need a heavier oil than your usual shocks. I think people running 35wt in powerstrokes have to use ~50wt in the pro-specs. Am I correct? What springs are you running? It seems the rear end in your setup is very heavily dampend. Does it ever donkey-kick when going over bumps (the rear end kicks up off the ground)?

I intend to use stiff springs in the rear because the torque twist is horrid on the Bomber. Even with the Axial "soft" rear sway bar it's still quite nasty
I honestly can't remember what shock fluid viscosity I am running. With that being said, I would guess that I have a thicker fluid in the rear shocks. The rear shocks are using yellow stripe springs and the fronts are green stripe. I can't say that I have noticed the rear end kicking up because I don't drive it fast...ya I know, that's lame!!! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
IIRC, this Bomber build runs regular Wraith length links. Not the trailing arms of the Bomber, short Twin Hammers, or mid length Wraith ones. The links are best for crawling and the TAs are for speed.

@bilinvic has a bad assed only eclipsed by his bad assed picturesque locale. Super jealous of that and the high grip rocks.
Correct, Wraith length with RPM Revo length end links. Thanxs for the compliment!
Old 10-09-2017, 11:33 AM   #657
I wanna be Dave

Default bilinvic's RR10 Bomber Build

Quote:

Correct, Wraith length with RPM Revo length end links. Thanxs for the compliment!

You earned it. Good looking and performing crawler.
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:48 PM   #658
Pebble Pounder

I'm trying to figure out what NostopinlucR's rig is. It almost looks like a rock crawler like a Gmade or Rc4wd with a body attacked to it
Old 10-10-2017, 08:58 PM   #659
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out what NostopinlucR's rig is. It almost looks like a rock crawler like a Gmade or Rc4wd with a body attacked to it
It's a "Wroncho"....SCX10 frame with AR60 axles.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:50 PM   #660
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
It's a "Wroncho"....SCX10 frame with AR60 axles.
That's interesting. It's like the Wraith+Yeti= Bomber

bilinvic's RR10 Bomber Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rr10 bomber available from tower jaykim5708 Axial RR10 Bomber 12 05-05-2016 07:28 PM
axial RR10 bomber new U4 class? Cork U4RC 2 01-15-2016 11:22 AM
New Axial RR10 Bomber available for pre-order! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 11-09-2015 05:48 PM