Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Maslin's Bomber Not-Ready-To-Run Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2016, 12:00 PM   #141
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Maslin's Bomber Not-Ready-To-Run Build

Damn, that's so frustrating that it took out other perfectly good parts. Now I'm definitely not going to try and use mine. Looks like I have 2 $20 paperweights after all.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2016, 12:07 PM   #142
RCC Addict

I didn't even think about it being an issue. The rear axles are held against the bearing by that inner flange riding against the spool. With that missing chunk the axle floats around, grinding the hex and lockout.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #143
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
I didn't even think about it being an issue. The rear axles are held against the bearing by that inner flange riding against the spool. With that missing chunk the axle floats around, grinding the hex and lockout.
I'm pretty sure this is the same scenario I had when I ground down the flange on my stock axles to fit through Beef Tubes. Because the flange was no longer big enough to stop on the locker, the axle walked in and started to groove my lockouts. Fortunately I caught the issue before it totally destroyed the lockouts.

I ended up cutting a small piece of 1/8th inch rod to fit inside the spool/locker to keep the axles separated and pushed out where they should be. This solved my problem and could fix yours if I am understanding what is happening to your rig correctly.
powder4breakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:31 PM   #144
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by powder4breakfast View Post
I'm pretty sure this is the same scenario I had when I ground down the flange on my stock axles to fit through Beef Tubes. Because the flange was no longer big enough to stop on the locker, the axle walked in and started to groove my lockouts. Fortunately I caught the issue before it totally destroyed the lockouts.

I ended up cutting a small piece of 1/8th inch rod to fit inside the spool/locker to keep the axles separated and pushed out where they should be. This solved my problem and could fix yours if I am understanding what is happening to your rig correctly.
That would fix it for sure. The added 1mm on each axle shaft makes things a little tighter. It would be best to install the axles and lockouts without a diff, slide them out as far as possible, and measure for the spacer.

Or get a spool that stops the shaft, as designed.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:59 PM   #145
Quarry Creeper

alt896 helped me figure this out with mine.

What I did was remove the spool and diff cover. Then with everything else installed and the axles pushed out where they should seat, I measured the gap between the two axle shafts. I cut the rod to length, dropped it in the spool and reassembled.

The round / rod can be found at Home Depot and lowes at the end of the hardware section with all the channel, all-thread etc.

------------

edit to add picture:
[IMG]Axle play fix[/IMG

This was before I added incision spools; but, you can see the round I used. A thicker piece than 1/8th might be better... the 1/8th was cheaper.

Last edited by powder4breakfast; 08-19-2016 at 04:03 PM.
powder4breakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:29 PM   #146
I wanna be Dave

Like a metal hanger looks like it'd work great. May try that instead of throwing $40 worth of spools away.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:03 PM   #147
RCC Addict

I have to apologize. The long side shaft doesn't even go in the the gear side of the BMRC spool. It goes in to the long end of the spool, which is also machined wrong

Matt, you forgot to add this lip to stop the shaft. The BMRC spool is bored straight through to the notch, no neck down.

There's 2 ends on a spool, both of them are wrong

Threw an Incision spool in, no more play.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:12 PM   #148
I wanna be Dave

Maslin, the spool they sell now looks different from yours pictured above...

Yours looks as if it's different metal and is drilled for lightness:

300M Solid Axle Locker, Blue Monkey RC

When and where did you get it?

I'm deciding on a pair of spools for my build, was thinking about theirs, but now am thinking I better stick to F1 spools from Locked Up RC.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:47 PM   #149
RCC Addict

That's the Incision spool, built correctly.

The Blue Monkey spool is all silver, and garbage.

I went to check on the BMRC vendor thread, he deleted it

Last edited by maslin; 08-22-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:47 PM   #150
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Maslin, the spool they sell now looks different from yours pictured above...

Yours looks as if it's different metal and is drilled for lightness:

300M Solid Axle Locker, Blue Monkey RC

When and where did you get it?

I'm deciding on a pair of spools for my build, was thinking about theirs, but now am thinking I better stick to F1 spools from Locked Up RC.
I've been super happy with my Grip Fab SS Spools if your looking for other options.
Adamgllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:14 PM   #151
RCC Addict

Killed the H50B, maybe 2 hours on it? Pics coming soon, something inside stripped.

Separated the first gear and bent the shaft bad. Not sure how that even happens, it's captured at the top and bottom

They aren't lying, helical gears for sure.

Last edited by maslin; 08-24-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:06 PM   #152
RCC Addict

What they say is true, forums are a dying breed. See ya guys later.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:58 PM   #153
I wanna be Dave

What makes you say that Mazz, from what I can tell, forums are thriving and new ones pop up all the time. That's not necessarily a good thing either. I've been on so many bad ones. Rude, condescending, moronic, D-bags abound. I'm pretty happy here, there's mostly good guys and almost all the vendors here are awesome.

Sorry about the bad luck with the servo. I had a feeling that thing was too good to be true.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:25 PM   #154
RCC Addict

I appreciate the support, just reached a level of frustration with this thing. Taildragger being out of town might be a good thing, force me to step back from it for a few weeks.

I don't break everything I touch, it's quite the opposite. I just manage to break things that should be nearly indestructible. I've been using the same wheels, foams and tires for almost 3 years, the same MMP and BEC for close to that long as well. Finally wore out my first Lipo, with hundreds and hundreds of charge cycles.

I'll stick around, just need to chose my battles. I'm actually kind of upset this servo broke, I really was counting on it being a solution. I have never stripped or broken a Savox gear, not once, the cases are just brittle as hell. I think I'll give the promodeler a shot, what else do I have to lose at this point.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:12 PM   #155
I wanna be Dave

Maslin I like the 1283 over all as a basher servo which is why I run one on my bouncer. Maybe an aluminum strap or even a pocket of sorts that fits the servo snugly would keep the 1283 alive? It sure would be nice if there was some crossover in gears sets eh? Drop savox steel gears into a bluebird or holmes etc servo for a bombproof setup... it's nice to dream right?

Last edited by THX_138; 08-25-2016 at 08:51 AM.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:23 AM   #156
Quarry Creeper

Thought I was driving mine hard... :-) Do you recall what shock oil you're running? Running the same shocks
Odd-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:06 AM   #157
RCC Addict

I believe I'm at 20wt front, 30wt rear. Softer on the springs too, green over blue front, yellow over green rear.

Ordered another 1283 case, it will be here when I get back from California in next week. Hope to get the Bluebird servo replaced (can't find any parts to fix it?) Then who knows what I'll do. Promodeler looks solid, hard to justify a $200 Protek with a $79 option out there.

Until then, it's 1/8 scale time
Old 08-25-2016, 04:10 PM   #158
Rock Crawler

I have busted 4 servos on my Bomber (including the stock). None on my SCX10 and Wraith. 2 on my Yeti XL. I drive the Bomber more than any rig I own so it gets used a lot. Mostly just local meets, bashing, etc.

I was really pulling for the H50B to work out for you because you seem to have a lot of the same issues I have. I'm not overly hard on my rigs but I also don't drive like a puss.

I'm hesitant to spend $$$ on a servo. After I kill the Savox in my Bomber, I'll go Promodeler or Holmes or maybe just spend the $$$ and drive a like an old lady.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:51 PM   #159
Quarry Creeper

Maybe the solution for the servo problems isn't get the strongest servo, but get a weaker link somewhere else. Like a servo horn, or the drag link...
DenisLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:36 AM   #160
Quarry Creeper

I've had great luck with Hitec servos. Running three 7954SH and the oldest survived rollovers, flips, crashes and much more in my Wraith. Even snapped a Vanquish titanium tie rod (!!!) but the servo still lives on. I've also experienced them as much stronger than Savox with comparable specs. The 7950TH is supposed to be even more durable. I'd buy that over a Holmes servo any day, just from good experience.
Odd-M is offline   Reply With Quote

Maslin's Bomber Not-Ready-To-Run Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bilinvic's RR10 Bomber Build bilinvic Axial RR10 Bomber 712 04-25-2020 08:09 AM
CFM drops a Bomb: Bomber Fab build and upgrades CarterFab Axial RR10 Bomber 132 01-24-2018 09:42 PM
KurseD build: the Brass Bomber Budget Bucket KurseD RC4WD Trail Finder 2 15 05-26-2016 04:40 AM
Stealth bomber the Class 3 build RockChuck 2.2 Scale Rigs 53 05-04-2015 07:15 PM
Ax-10 Ready to Run ?? SD333 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 6 12-13-2007 01:25 AM