RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial RR10 Bomber (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-rr10-bomber/)
-   -   RR10 2-speed (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-rr10-bomber/550994-rr10-2-speed.html)

Jus 12-06-2015 06:09 PM

RR10 2-speed

Got my bomber yesterday.

Want to make it a 2 speed. Will the SSD yeti kit fit the RR10? I could get one in a trade locally. Also I just cannot pay $100 for the axial conversion.

fr8cture 12-06-2015 06:28 PM

Re: RR10 2-speed

It should. The RR10 came with the servo mount I believe? That would be the only issue is the servo mount.

txbart 12-06-2015 06:42 PM

I have both the SSD 2speed Kit & the Axial 2speed Kit. The only hang up I found with the SSD kit is the lack of a shift lever. The input to the shift fork has a tendency to roll around, making performance inconsistent. If you can get over that hump, it's a good set that will work as well as the official axial version.
The thing that I've found when putting a 2-speed in my RR10, is that a full size servo fits uncomfortably tight but a low profile servo works very well. On the Yeti the shift servo didn't matter, but the RR10 has everything oriented slightly at an angle, & slightly closer together.

AWraith build 12-06-2015 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txbart (Post 5345580)
I have both the SSD 2speed Kit & the Axial 2speed Kit. The only hang up I found with the SSD kit is the lack of a shift lever. The input to the shift fork has a tendency to roll around, making performance inconsistent. If you can get over that hump, it's a good set that will work as well as the official axial version.
The thing that I've found when putting a 2-speed in my RR10, is that a full size servo fits uncomfortably tight but a low profile servo works very well. On the Yeti the shift servo didn't matter, but the RR10 has everything oriented slightly at an angle, & slightly closer together.

Yeah I pulled my Ssd out of my yeti and threw it in the bomber. In the yeti it shifted like crap but shifts nice a crisp in the bomber.

Jus 12-06-2015 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fr8cture (Post 5345566)
It should. The RR10 came with the servo mount I believe? That would be the only issue is the servo mount.

I have no idea on that. I have had the skid out but I didn't study that area too much yet. Didn't know what i was looking at yet anyway lol

haven't opened the spare parts bag either. Need to soon.

fr8cture 12-06-2015 07:01 PM

It should be in the spare parts bag. You can use the Axial shift linkage with the SSD with some work too. Its a $12 parts tree and a much better design.

AWraith build 12-07-2015 03:50 PM

The servo mount is in there and it is a much straighter linkage on the bomber so the Ssd works awesome.

USP45 12-19-2015 03:44 PM

I just ordered the SSD 2 speed kit and have a quick question. It has been mentioned that a lower profile servo fits better but would the stock steering servo that comes with the Bomber fit? I have some Hitec 225mg servos running around and while they are only rated at 66oz/in at 6v I am sure that they would work. With that being said I would just use the steering servo if it will fit.

meatmonkey 12-19-2015 07:40 PM

What is the difference in ratio's between the Axial 2-speed conversion and the SSD? Do the 2- speeds just add a low gear, or also alter the top gear ratio?

Is there a weight difference between the two?

How much servo torque is recommended to shift the 2-seed? Does it need a servo saver, or are properly set endpoints enough?

I like the idea of using the stock steering servo for a shift servo. Is there room for a fullsize shift servo? Is the only interference with the interior?

ratrod63 12-19-2015 07:58 PM

I installed the Axial 2 speed conversion in mine. I used the stock steering servo for the shift servo. It fit perfect and has plenty of torque to shift it.
The Axial conversion comes with a servo saver.

USP45 12-19-2015 08:11 PM

Thanks ratrod63.

meatmonkey, the SSD kit mainly adds a lower ratio for crawling but the high end ratio is just a touch faster as well. Probably not enough to notice (pretty small difference) but it is a taller ratio.. From what I understand the recommended servo torque is around 80oz/in but someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I am going to run a MMP/Tekin Pro4 3300kv combination which is sensored so the 2 speed transmission is probably not really necessary, but I do think that it will be fun and the increase in resolution while crawling due to the low gearing cannot hurt.

ratrod63 12-20-2015 12:01 PM

Here is a couple pics of the servo install.
http://i63.tinypic.com/2iqbl3b.jpg
http://i64.tinypic.com/34j6m1f.jpg

lcbsc 12-28-2015 08:07 PM

Quick question about 2 speed RR10 rigs...is it better to install a high torque/high turn/slower speed motor to get more speed with the higher gear? Or a high speed/less torque/lower turn motor to use the low gear for crawling? Or is it somewhere in between? This will be my first 2 speed rig and would like to have some good top end but also be able to crawl really good too...

rude_k9 12-28-2015 08:32 PM

Good looking install .second gear should be fun."thumbsup"

84yoda 12-28-2015 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcbsc (Post 5391655)
Quick question about 2 speed RR10 rigs...is it better to install a high torque/high turn/slower speed motor to get more speed with the higher gear? Or a high speed/less torque/lower turn motor to use the low gear for crawling? Or is it somewhere in between? This will be my first 2 speed rig and would like to have some good top end but also be able to crawl really good too...

540 or 550 can, sensored brushless 3100-3500kv on 3s is what your looking for. Plenty of top end, will crawl good but having 2 speed will make that even better.

xmikedentx 12-28-2015 10:38 PM

Newb question here.... Does the stock RR10 controller/radio allow for the second servo operation? Or do I need to get a new controller?

Thanks!

YeeP 12-28-2015 10:44 PM

I like the idea of a 2 speed purely for the lower gear, but I must say that it is a tough decision to make unless I can find a 5 channel radio. In my instance, I want rear steer, and I would like to have a servo winch. I think gearing down as much as possible and running something like MMP to control that slow speed torque the way I want it to will get me going as slow as I need. Maybe a motor in the 5000kv range to give me some more top end when I need it.

I dunno, just talking here. Really trying to convince myself that I should not install the 2 speed.

Can anyone argue against those ideas? I just need to understand both sides of the spectrum more. :shock:

Jus 12-29-2015 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meatmonkey (Post 5357331)
What is the difference in ratio's between the Axial 2-speed conversion and the SSD? Do the 2- speeds just add a low gear, or also alter the top gear ratio?

Is there a weight difference between the two?

How much servo torque is recommended to shift the 2-seed? Does it need a servo saver, or are properly set endpoints enough?

I like the idea of using the stock steering servo for a shift servo. Is there room for a fullsize shift servo? Is the only interference with the interior?

SSD 2nd gear is 1:1 ratio. Axial is 1:1.08 I think. Low gears are the same I think.

Any standard servo should work. Just set the endpoints just like the Twin Hammers.

There is a ton of room around the shift servo, the interior is way above it.

BroncoAZ 12-29-2015 07:14 PM

From Axial's description:

Gearing wise, first gear ends up a being a 2:1 reduction intended for slow technical crawls while the Hi Gear (28T) gear is based off the stock 1.08:1 ratio and Hi Gear Option (26T) increases top speed with a 0.93:1 ratio.

The hi gear option might be good for those wanting more speed out of the 35t brushed setup.

I have the Axial kit that I got for my Yeti, but I am planning on installing it in the Bomber now.

YeeP 12-29-2015 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoAZ (Post 5396644)
From Axial's description:

Gearing wise, first gear ends up a being a 2:1 reduction intended for slow technical crawls while the Hi Gear (28T) gear is based off the stock 1.08:1 ratio and Hi Gear Option (26T) increases top speed with a 0.93:1 ratio.

The hi gear option might be good for those wanting more speed out of the 35t brushed setup.

I have the Axial kit that I got for my Yeti, but I am planning on installing it in the Bomber now.

Totally makes sense to me, thanks for the example.