Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Bgredjeep Bomber build recap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2021, 06:16 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Bgredjeep Bomber build recap

I decided to try putting together a thread to recap my Bomber build. I've had it over a year now and it's seen a few changes.

I bought this used off marketplace last summer. It already had a mamba x and a futaba 4pm radio, proline flat irons and scaler shocks, aluminum panels and battery mount, vanquish links and motor mount, savox servo (with the stock wet noodle steering links) . It also came with a parts box with all the take offs, and a few more upgrades that were not installed (sway bar kit, stock and clear panels, etc).

Here's the car as I received it. I've wanted one of these for years and I was pretty pleased with the purchase.

bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2021, 06:36 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Bgredjeep Bomber build recap

Within a few days I had it looking and performing a bit better. I ditched the green panels and aluminum tire carrier in favor of the stock pieces. The stock steering links were a complete joke so incision steering links went on. Finally the rear sway bar. It was terrible to drive without the sway bar. It wanted to barrel roll any time you hit the throttle.

To be continued
Old 11-11-2021, 08:42 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quickly I found that the pro scaler shocks were not the right choice for this car. The springs were too soft in the rear, and just not enough dampening for a go fast car imo.

I swapped back to the stock shocks which came with the car. I also picked up the High Altitude Performance steering kit, u-joint shafts and, shortly after that, vanquish knuckles. The c-hubs are generic aluminum that came with the car.

The new upper link position rotated the axle forward a good bit, so I swapped in some longer Traxxas rod ends on the lower links to bring it back. You can see in these pictures, that extra wheelbase made the front driveshaft a little too short.

I got a longer driveshaft part from mip to solve that.
Old 11-13-2021, 05:47 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Next up, better shocks. Around the same time I picked up some boom racing axle housings.

I went with gmade xd diaphragm 103mm shocks all around. Built with x rings, and I can't recall what weight oil I ended on.

Nothing much to say about the housings. Bolt in swap. No issues.

Traxxas dual rate springs in front

Axial treps and chainguish beadlocks happened along the way too. The flat irons ended up on my yeti
Old 11-13-2021, 06:13 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'm skipping around a bit as I come across things I have forgotten.

So the motor I've been running is a novak 3900kv. For a short time I experimented with a 2280kv motor I had, and 4s. In the end this idea was abandoned in favor of 3s on the 3900. A slightly faster motor might have swung the decision, but I was working with that I had at the time.

I made a tray to mount on the 2spd servo location on the skid to lower the weight. In the end I only ran it a couple times before swapping back to the novak motor (which I still run).

Old 11-13-2021, 07:51 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Ever try the Novak on 4s? I almost bought that motor couple years ago for one of my wraiths, but they were NOS, only a few available, and sold out before I decided to get one. Anyway I've run a couple of the caslte 3800kv on HV 4s and a HH 3500kv on HV 4s with no issues, I'd imagine the Novak would be fine on 4s aswell, assuming you keep the gearing low.
So you may know, or at least will find out, the pinion bearings in the ar60 are quite small and don't last long using anything other than a brushed motor on a 6 pack nihm. Some precise dremel work and you can run up to a 5x16x5 (625zz part number) bearing on the inside of the stock housing. Think I have some pics of how I did it if you are interested.
Rig looks nice

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 08:52 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

LockedUpRC sells bronze 5x11x4 Mini Loco bushings for AR60 housings as well.

I'm running the old DLux Fab plastic AR60s that come with already increased pinion bearing sizes, but it looks as if they stopped making those...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 10:51 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Yeah they, as in everyone, stopped making most of thier aftermarket hop ups for the older 2.2 rigs. Sucks because I still have 3 that are my most used and abused rigs. The brass bushing is only slightly better, from what I read on here years back, some even said it's no better, but I've never tried it. The best option is the larger bearing, the 5x14x4 in the Dlux modified housing will definitely outlast the bushing. That was the size I intended, but over did it with the dremel, so went to the next size up. Dlux might still set up a stock housing if you send him one, at least he still was not that long ago. Might be worth sending an email if someone doesn't have the steady hands and/or tools to do it. And I recommend to anyone who plans on doing this themselves too the 5x14x4, since the next size up is 1mm thicker, resulting in the pinion needing to be ground down.
Bgredjeep, what do you think of that steering kit? Does it hold up to the abuse? Seems like it's only held in by 2 screws, one of which is in the thin axle tube.

Old 11-13-2021, 05:21 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
Ever try the Novak on 4s?

Rig looks nice

I haven't tried the novak on 4s. It's honestly plenty fast for me on 3s like it is. I was hoping for a little better low speed performance without sacrificing to speed, I just didn't have the right motor on hand to get what I was looking for. I solved it another way which the build will catch up to before long.

So far my bearings are holding up. If it gets to the point that I'm blowing those often enough to do something about it, I'll probably look at the ryft axles.
Old 11-13-2021, 05:39 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Bgredjeep, what do you think of that steering kit? Does it hold up to the abuse? Seems like it's only held in by 2 screws, one of which is in the thin axle tube.

I'll jump ahead a bit to answer. I really like the kit. I did have trouble with the tube side mount not staying tight and made a couple changes to resolve it.

First, I designed and printed a spacer for the tube side of the servo mount. This tied into the mount using a second hole to give some triangulation on that side.

Next, I saw the HAP now shows on their site that they recommend drilling the bottom of the axle to allow the mount screw to be threaded up from the bottom and a nut on top. I did the same, then tapped the larger hole to m5 so I could plug the hole with a grub screw.

Between those 2 changes its been solid. Here's a link to the spacer. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4950024

Old 11-13-2021, 06:08 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Oh that's an aluminum axle. Thought it was stock plastic. That extra screw/spacer modification looks much better then the way it was.
You gear down any to help the low speed control? I run underdrive in the axles and went from 12/56 pinion and spur to 8/64. Makes the higher kv motors crawl like a brushed setup, and noticeably increases the drag brake.
I also have the same tires on one of my rigs. Really like how large they are, and they do better then they look like they would in the soft stuff.

Old 11-13-2021, 08:17 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

12/64. It worked ok crawling, but was really more of a bouncer than a crawler in big rocks.
Old 11-13-2021, 08:32 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Jumping around a bit now. I can't keep track of when some of these were done.

I added a light bar for some night running. It's make for 3s and pretty bright. Initial mounted on top of the roof rack, but moved under after a couple days.

I also swapped out the savox servo for a servoaf model t. Between the noise of the savox, and accepting that I would probably break it sooner than later I was happy with the change.

Old 11-14-2021, 07:54 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I swapped out the treps for a set of jconcepts scorpio tires. So far I really like these. They are a good bit taller which suits the car with the longer wheelbase. I took it out for some trail riding and was very happy with the performance.

Old 11-14-2021, 01:14 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Bringing this up to the current state, I decided to swap in a wraith 2spd trans. I was initially looking at doing a normal 3 gear trans, but I found it would be almost the same price to build a strong 3 gear as to buy the 2spd.

I went with the ssd conversion trans, and ordered a new input shaft. I already had the rest of the slipper parts from the stock trans so it was right at $110 total.

For the skid, I designed my own flat belly to accommodate the trans.

Here's the first test print. I initially planned to add aluminum to the sides so this one is about 5mm narrow. For now I ditched that idea so the final skid is full width and thicker on the link mount locations

First test fit in the car

I retained the front skid (radio box) but I cut the box portion out due to driveshaft and spur gear clearance.

I picked up a Traxxas rustler radio box to protect the receiver. The shift servo is a take off that came with the bomber when I bought it.

Ready for action. This is how it sits currently. The 2 speed shifts great and takes care of gearing down for those slow crawling moments.
Old 11-14-2021, 04:25 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Man this thing gets nicer and nicer with every post. FYI I meant the proline flatiron xl when I mentioned having the same tires earlier, but those J Concepts are even larger, looks like a perfect fit. Sorry if it seems like I'm rambling through out your build thread, it's just my kinda build, and it's exciting to see someone else so invested in one. Pretty rare these days, every one is into 1.9 scalers.

Old 11-14-2021, 07:44 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Man this thing gets nicer and nicer with every post. FYI I meant the proline flatiron xl when I mentioned having the same tires earlier, but those J Concepts are even larger, looks like a perfect fit. Sorry if it seems like I'm rambling through out your build thread, it's just my kinda build, and it's exciting to see someone else so invested in one. Pretty rare these days, every one is into 1.9 scalers.

No worries. I'm glad someone is interested in seeing it. Lol

Yeah, a lot of the guys I've crawled with lately are running 1.9 stuff (trx4, scx10 3 bronco, honcho) and they make this thing look like a monster truck. I don't get it, but I guess that's why there are options and people can run whatever they like.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:50 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I took the bomber to the local rc track this weekend. Some guys have been working on crawler trails in the woods there so I gave the new trans a thorough test. I'm happy to report it worked perfectly, as did the skid plate I made for the trans swap.

Some other parts did not fare as well. My cheap ebay u-joint shafts (I think kyx brand) ate it. The center pins in both front shafts decided to make an exit. They lasted over a year so better than i expected. That gouged up the inside of the vp c-hubs, but nothing critical. It likely also caused the front iron cross locker to split in 2.

Those failures all happened while I was running on the race track after I had finished crawling. It's a shame since the car is pretty fun to rip and jump on the track. New incision locker and ocp shafts are on the way. I'll probably glue the pins back into the old shafts and stick them in my e10 that I recently added rear steer on.

How it started

How it's going
Old 12-14-2021, 02:38 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I got the new incision locker and axial front shafts installed. Nothing pic worthy, but its ready to rip again.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:44 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I decided to try a servo saver on the car. I haven't had any issues with the model t, but figured just in case. Picked up a vitavon ryft servo saver and unfortunately found its junk for its intended purpose.

It's a really nice looking part, but the spring is far too weak, even cranked down to the point the spring is almost fully compressed. The car wouldn't even turn lock to lock (or center) sitting on my bench.

So it was on long enough to take a picture, then it's back to the axial servo horn.

Bgredjeep Bomber build recap - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti XL weekend recap Deckard Axial Yeti XL 7 08-19-2015 10:32 PM
Nor-Cal Finals Recap! jammin311 California 5 06-16-2010 04:42 PM
Scale Nats Recap microgoat Competitions 0 05-24-2008 02:32 PM