Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: FFWF's Budget Bomber Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2016, 08:58 AM   #121
RCC Addict

Default Re: FFWF's Budget Bomber Build

Stance looks great. Go up a step or two on those rear primary springs
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2016, 03:03 PM   #122
Quarry Creeper

I'd like to give a quick up date while in limbo, waiting on parts... Man what a list of goodies do I have coming in for the bomber this week. I spent a few weeks out on the road, putting in some serious hours. Anyways, I got to get some much wanted parts!

- SSD Centered Diamond Rear Axle
- x4 VP Link Mounts
- Fast Eddie Bearings Throughout
- MIP Yeti rear shaft
- x5 2.2. VP Method 105s
- Black VP Hubs
- High Clearance Skid for RR10 trans
- High Clearance Skid for Wraith trans
- HD Front Diff Cover
- VP Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar
- Steel AR60 Beef Tubes (Front Axle)
- VP Brass Knuckle Weights
- x4 Pitbull Rock Beasts 2
- CI Foams
- Limiting Straps

So yeah, that's quite a list of stuff going on right now. Waiting on majority of it to still arrive, I plan on a pretty big update ahead.
F1GHTF1R3W1THF1Re. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:41 AM   #123
Quarry Creeper

Update time. Parts still coming in, rig still under surgery.

Waiting on missing MIP pieces to complete my front/rear shafts. Im super excited to get this thing back out on the rocks. Tummy tuck was a success with the hi clearance skid. I can't wait to see how it performs with that and the knuckle weights, the HD front bumper & beef tubes all up front. That should really help keep the front planted. Sadly, there isn't much left to build... I am however contemplating switching to a wraith style transmission. If that happens, I will most likely sell the 2200kv Puller Pro, and upgrade to the XL version. Just cuz.

That's all for now, I have a few more goodies coming in. Some scale goodies, VP beadlock rings and my MIP stuff.

I did have a question though... I am running the MMP with a Puller Pro 2200KV, upon WOT from a stand still, bomber goes (and i mean goes :P) for about a little over a second, then it halts to a stop and you can hear gears skipping teeth (pinion/spur?) it's just awful sounding. I've only ever had it happen maybe 3 times. Only does it when i give it full throttle. Like I said, it'll go.. STOP.. go again, all while keeping the throttle @ 100%. and that all happens in under 2 seconds. I obviously let off the throttle so, IDK if it would continue to repeat that under WOT or not, I don't want to find out.... Is that something to do with settings in castle link (punch control?) or is it my Floureon 3s 30c batteries, or is my Mamba Max Pro that needs replaced, it's probably 4 years old, but not too much usage. That's the only issue I can't put my finger on with this build. I've even pondered as fars as a Trailmaster BLE with a Puller Pro XL to remedy it, but that's expensive.

Stay tuned for more updates

Last edited by F1GHTF1R3W1THF1Re.; 11-26-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:19 AM   #124

I'm saving for a Bomber RTR and this build is going to be inspiration for my own. Thanks for sharing all of this.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
WickedYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:08 AM   #125
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedYak View Post
I'm saving for a Bomber RTR and this build is going to be inspiration for my own. Thanks for sharing all of this.

I love looking at all the other builds also, this is a great place to share ideas and incorporate certain things to make your rig exactly what you want. I found a few other pics to post, I added them to my previous post. Looking forward to seeing your build wickedyak!
Old 11-26-2016, 05:54 PM   #126
Quarry Creeper

2nd round of MIP shafts came today, we got a working bomber! Yes, I know others push their bomber mip stuff, but ss is outta stock and bmrc has a 2 week window that doesn't work for me. The way I look at it, the 2 kits i bought I can sell the remainder parts to recoup. It all works out honestly. Bomber is good to go for a shakedown run tomorrow morning. I have a set of front & a set of rear tuning springs from proline coming too. It's time to get this thing seriously dialed. Will be charging the lipos at the crack of dawn!

Will report back after tomorrow's shakedown run!
Old 11-26-2016, 09:06 PM   #127
I wanna be Dave

Definitely post your thoughts on the new skid.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:57 AM   #128
Quarry Creeper

Awesome setup! Who's high clearance skid?

Seeing the SSD axle on a bomber makes me wish that was the route I went. My Currie's truss limits bump by about 10-15mm. Never thought about it while planning out my "upgrades".
Lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:48 AM   #129
Quarry Creeper

I only am going to post up 1 teaser pic from todays run, but there will be more to come, I have some more goodies to share.

I can't really mention who it is out like that as they don't have a star, nor are they affiliated with RCC. I found them via facebook. I must say, it's a nice piece. Super slippy, I couldn't be more happy with this skid. Had it out for a quick shakedown run, about a 1/2 hour run time. Didn't drain the lipo, just wanted to head back and do a once over. No broken parts, as to be expected at this level, but it's still always a good thing! I did notice the wheels keep loosening up. That's not a big deal, just got to remember to keep them snug through-out my runs. My anti rock is set on one of the more firm settings, I have 0 torque twist. I am probably not going to mess with it at this time. I am however looking forward to my proline tuning springs to arrive. Can totally tell a difference in how much better it absorbs, tuning springs will make it plush.

I am going to actually building myself a tig welded aluminum "fuel cell" to replace the stocker. I agree with you Lanky, at this point it's about 7/10mm too low. I want to keep mine relatively the same size, but move the mounts a tad.

Okay, one more:

Old 11-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #130
I wanna be Dave

There is already a thread about the HC skid in this section so your fine to mention it.

I haven't seen or heard any feedback on it since seeing it mentioned in the thread and Im sure everyone is curious to know how it performs and the durability.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:31 PM   #131
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
There is already a thread about the HC skid in this section so your fine to mention it.

I haven't seen or heard any feedback on it since seeing it mentioned in the thread and Im sure everyone is curious to know how it performs and the durability.
Yah, wasn't sure how that all works here. But the skid is working good thus far. Like i said it's super slippy. Being 3D printed, I am interested in seeing how it holds up. Not worried about a failure honestly. Some of the holes needed reamed/clearance properly for bolt heads, but the ones that thread into the skid itself needed no attention, definitely a plus for that. Not sure if its the skid or what but the rod ends on my lower links are taking a beating. I have a set of Incision by VP 1/4 inch links coming, I just hope they don't interfere with the driveline. New beadlock rings, and some scale goodies coming in also tomorrow. Pretty sold on the 2100kv Puller Pro XL to replace my 2200kv Standard Puller Pro, BUT I am going to give 4s a shot. I had it literally had it locked up, slipper not even slipping today a few times. Can't have that, i'd rather break shit lmao...

I still need to figure out why it cuts out at WOT.. Had it happen again today more than once... I can't hold it WOT?!?

Old 11-27-2016, 05:49 PM   #132
I wanna be Dave

Just remember the XL gives up some low end resolution so it wont be as smooth down low as your current motor. Might hurt your crawling unless your just a WOT kinda crawler. Lol.

But I bet 4s will solve your power needs.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:59 PM   #133
I wanna be Dave

Have you tried 4S on your current 2200kv? It'll handle it no probs, and if you are planning on trying them with the XL anyways - pick one up now! Sales are everywhere!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:19 PM   #134
Quarry Creeper

I have a 3500kv XL in my Yeti, and a 3500kv standard in my Bomber, I will say the Drag brake works crazy good on the XL, but other wise I prefer the standard everywhere else. I do run both 4s. I come from the school of more volts less amps. Also worth consideration is I personally think that the XL uses more power. Not sure if its in my head or not though. I'm not comparing apples to apples.

I recently did a 2 hour trail hike/ climb with my bomber Motor temp never exceeded 98* ESC never over 102*(no fan on ESC), came back and my 5000MAH pack was still at 3.54-3.58(pack was charged to 4.35v/ cell). Its geared 12/64, I was running OD front stock rear.
Lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #135
Quarry Creeper

Time again to charge up the lipos, I'll give a full review again afterwards. I played with a few settings in castlelink. Lets see if it changes any of the WOT issues. VP 1/4 inch stainless lower fronts give it a really nice look.

Last edited by F1GHTF1R3W1THF1Re.; 12-03-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:15 PM   #136
I wanna be Dave

I would definitely stick with the puller pro standard and go 4s. If you like a smooth low end, the XL will not be your favorite. It's not impossible to crawl with but you will find another home for it almost immediately like I did. It's a motor for staying above 10mph all day.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 03:46 PM   #137
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
I would definitely stick with the puller pro standard and go 4s. If you like a smooth low end, the XL will not be your favorite. It's not impossible to crawl with but you will find another home for it almost immediately like I did. It's a motor for staying above 10mph all day.
I plan on going to 4s after the holidays. Been working like crazy lately, no time to actually get out and crawl. I did however find some time to tinker around with building a LED light bar. I've been eyeing them up for a bit, they look nice, but seem fairly basic. I had some scrap aluminum and an old wobbly milling machine. It's not perfect, with no Digital Read-Out and no dial indicator I set out to fab a proto light bar. I'll attach some photos below. I plan on machining bolt on mounts for the ends of the light bar, also a HD light bar guard, and thorough waterproofing / powder coating of the light bar. Hope you guys enjoy the pics!

LED Bar Guard:
Old 12-09-2016, 09:54 AM   #138
Quarry Creeper

Finished the LED Bar Guard/Mount!!

Last edited by F1GHTF1R3W1THF1Re.; 12-10-2016 at 05:43 AM.
Old 12-25-2016, 04:45 AM   #139
Quarry Creeper

I need one of those skids...where did u say u got it...or did u make it..thanks
Mr Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:33 PM   #140
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hyde View Post
I need one of those skids...where did u say u got it...or did u make it..thanks
Here's the info you need.

Thoughts on this high clearance skid?

FFWF's Budget Bomber Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rottenbellys bolt on bomber build. rottenbelly Axial RR10 Bomber 59 12-13-2016 02:30 PM
KurseD build: the Brass Bomber Budget Bucket KurseD RC4WD Trail Finder 2 15 05-26-2016 04:40 AM
802coma's Budget Bomber 802coma Axial RR10 Bomber 10 02-08-2016 07:42 PM
Budget bomber must do's ride1226 Axial RR10 Bomber 48 01-06-2016 07:36 PM
My Bomber build bredmx Axial RR10 Bomber 8 12-28-2015 11:51 AM