Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: New light bar battery placement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2015, 08:14 PM   #1

Default New light bar battery placement

I recently got my new Axial Bomber and installed a new light bar on top of the roof. That went well, my question is finding a good spot for my battery pack for it. I decided to go with the separate battery for brightness, rather than plugging into my ECU. Any suggestions or pictures you might have will help. I have a Thunder power TP850 battery pack. Im trying to find some place out of the way but serviceable if needed when charging. I was thinking inside the fake fuel cell in the rear...Any thoughts?
TJFIFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2015, 08:22 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: New light bar battery placement

Fuel cell was my plans as well.

J.A.W - just another wraith &
a Bomber!
jwall046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:33 PM   #3

What about running another BEC and setting the voltage to whatever you need? That would eliminate the need for another battery. Could even run it off your servo BEC if the voltage was in the range of where you need it to be.

If BEC is not desirable, putting a small battery in the fuel cell is the first thing that jumped out at me as well when I realized there was nothing in it.
smittycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:52 PM   #4
Just jump it!

I have a 3 cell 610mah in my fuel cell for my lights.
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:09 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Default New light bar battery placement

If you're gonna run a separate lipo to run the light bar, make sure to put a low voltage alarm on it.
If not, you run the risk of discharging the light bar lipo too low and damaging the lipo pack.
At least running your light bar through the esc and receiver, you have the low voltage cutoff protection in your esc.

Just something to think about...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2-shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-shot View Post
If you're gonna run a separate lipo to run the light bar, make sure to put a low voltage alarm on it.
If not, you run the risk of discharging the light bar lipo too low and damaging the lipo pack.
At least running your light bar through the esc and receiver, you have the low voltage cutoff protection in your esc.

Just something to think about...

Great point. Yet another reason to just run it off a BEC direct from main battery. Could dial in the voltage to what you want, no extra battery to worry about, and not taxing the ESC in any way or limited by ESC voltage.

BEC and castle link (if you don't already have one) is comparable in cost to most lipos in that size, and is one less connection to have to worry about once you have it all wired up. Just my two cents.

Haven't wired lights up yet myself, but now that I'm talking about it I'm curious to know if there is any particular reason folks might prefer a separate battery instead of just wiring up via a BEC?
Old 12-30-2015, 06:47 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittycm View Post
Great point. Yet another reason to just run it off a BEC direct from main battery. Could dial in the voltage to what you want, no extra battery to worry about, and not taxing the ESC in any way or limited by ESC voltage.

BEC and castle link (if you don't already have one) is comparable in cost to most lipos in that size, and is one less connection to have to worry about once you have it all wired up. Just my two cents.

Haven't wired lights up yet myself, but now that I'm talking about it I'm curious to know if there is any particular reason folks might prefer a separate battery instead of just wiring up via a BEC?

Maybe if their rig is setup to run 2s lipo, but they have a light bar that requires a 3s lipo. A lot of light bars and high powered lights (VP Rigid light bar and Q series lights) require at least 11 to 12 volts.
That would be a reason why a "stand alone" lipo for the lights would be needed.

I run 3s lipo in all of my rigs, so I'm good to go for lighting! LOL!!

Old 12-30-2015, 02:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-shot View Post
Maybe if their rig is setup to run 2s lipo, but they have a light bar that requires a 3s lipo. A lot of light bars and high powered lights (VP Rigid light bar and Q series lights) require at least 11 to 12 volts.
That would be a reason why a "stand alone" lipo for the lights would be needed.

I run 3s lipo in all of my rigs, so I'm good to go for lighting! LOL!!

That makes sense. Hadn't considered that. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:00 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Personally, I think it's just a lot easier to run lights and your rig off one lipo.

If you haven't already, check out heyok's lighting controllers. It will let you turn your lights on and off with the 3rd channel on your radio. He makes a bunch of different types, with different functions. I use his light controllers in my rigs, and love them!!
I have one of his controllers that's dual voltage. I have it wired off the + and - terminals on my esc, then plugged into my receiver. It basically gives you to different output voltages 6 volts and 12 volts (if you run 3s lipo). I have the 6v output wired up to LED's that are used for headlights and tail lights in my SCX10 JK. The 12v is wired up to a VP Rigid 6" light bar. I use a 3 position switch on my transmitter to operate it.
Switch position 1 - all lights off
Switch position 2 - LED's only - on
Switch position 3 - LED's and light bar - on
Kinda use the light bar as a high beam! LOL!!

He's in the Vendor's Market - Electronics.

Here's a link to one of his controllers. It's just a simple on and off using the 3rd channel on your radio. Al's (heyok) a great guy to deal with and he's very helpful!
Remote Switch For LED Lighting
Old 12-30-2015, 11:11 PM   #10

Please post pics of the light bar install.
WiiTardo is offline   Reply With Quote