Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Found the Cause of Clicking Transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2016, 08:00 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Found the Cause of Clicking Transmission

I have heard people talk about a click in the Bomber’s transmission, but nobody seems (maybe I have missed it) to have investigated it.

My Bomber has made a slight clicking sound since new. I suspected that it was in the transmission. I took each drive shaft off to check the axles first and the clicking was still coming from the transmission. I pulled the transmission and transfer case and you could feel a bind when turning output shaft. I took the transfer case off the transmission and it spun freely. The binding was coming from the transmission. I started taking the transmission apart by taking the spur gear and slipper off. ]I then spun the shaft and the binding was gone. I have figured out that the slipper plate is touching my spur gear cover about every half turn. I thought I would shim the slipper plate with a washer. I found some that fit over the shaft perfectly, but the outside diameter rubs the spur gear cover. With one washer, the slipper plate still rubbed the cover some. With two washers, it didn’t. So, I need to find washers that have a smaller outside diameter or trim the spur gear cover. I'm going to fool around with it some tonight to see if I can find the best fix.

Last edited by GLHS592; 01-07-2016 at 08:02 AM.
GLHS592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2016, 08:07 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Found the Cause of Clicking Transmission

Mine went away when I installed the RRP Gen 3 Slipper. And cut half of the backing plate away.

maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:39 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I took the cover off and of course there is no clicking. I am contemplating leaving the cover off. I may cut the center out of it where the shaft goes through.

I noticed the clicking was worse when I installed my aluminum motor mount. It is a tad thicker than the stock motor mount. Axial should have made the shaft about 1-2 mm longer.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:33 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I noticed a lip around the motor shaft hole on the spur gear cover. I ground that lip (see before and after pictures below) off because I wanted to keep the cover. It is all back together and there is no clicking or grinding. Rattles, squeaks, and odd noises in machinery drives me absolutely nuts.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:46 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

This was a problem on the Yeti's as well. A little dremel work and you should be good to go.
VTHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:38 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Must be a lack of precise tolerances thing. Mine doesn't do it, others sound like there about to explode.

Thanks for looking into it.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:23 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Just wanted to say I had exactly the same thing happen.

Clicking and stickiness to the transmission and I quickly narrowed it down to the slipper setup (pulled the trans totally apart and it was fine inside). Saw this thread, pulled the plate and tightened the slipper up and it was smooth.

Got the dremel out today and ground it like the OP and once installed it was A1.

Cheers mate!
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote

Found the Cause of Clicking Transmission - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
clicking sound in transmission when steering at full lock atf300 Axial Wraith 7 10-21-2013 04:27 AM
Clicking noise from Transmission area NewbieRC361 Axial Wraith 17 08-01-2013 11:47 PM
Tamiya 3 speed clicking noise in transmission. Erbing Newbie General 6 10-20-2011 09:23 PM
Clicking noise coming from transmission-Help please promatchrcr Team Losi Comp Crawler 13 01-20-2010 03:35 PM
clicking in transmission 84CUCV HPI Wheely King 4 07-23-2008 06:40 PM