Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: what is the purpose of your bomber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2016, 11:10 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default what is the purpose of your bomber?

Hey guys just trying to gauge opinions on why people bought their bombers

Crawling?
U4 Racing?
Bashing?

I got one a few weeks ago, have left it completely stock and run it maybe 5-6 times so far
I haven't taken it to my crawl spot, Its too slow to jump at the jumps I take my yeti to, so all I have really done is fang it around in my back yard over loose leaves and dust. Obviously not using it to its full potential.

now, here is my problem. I dont want to spend $2000 on this car, but I do want to spend money in it so that it becomes good at more things than a suitable rc for a 4 year old to use.

I'm leaning more towards brushless, no drag brake, 2 speed and racing it around, but also not sure if i should fit a holmes brushed motor and set it up more for trailing/crawling etc.

just gauging what the general public have set theirs up for

note: i have an scx10 for trails, brushless wraith for trails yeti, and a yeti xl already so I just am not sure what direction i should push this rig yet...
bentles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2016, 11:17 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: what is the purpose of your bomber?

I'd make your wraith a dedicated crawler, and the bomber a dual purpose brushless machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xmikedentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:35 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I have 2 Bombers and have built a very capable crawler out of one and hopefully, a really fun rock bouncer out of the other. IMHO, out of the box, the bomber is more naturally suited to going a bit faster than a crawler. The only thing that holds it back is the stock electronics. If you go (sensored) brushless, then a 2 speed is completely unnecessary. With a good sensored brushless motor you will have exceptional low speed control and still be able to hit 20-25 which is as fast as the chassis will be able to confidently handle. Whichever direction you choose to build, you're going to love the Bomber. It gets better with every mod and is a total blast to drive. Congrats on the new toy.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:05 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

yeah i think i may just pull the holmes sensored brushless out of the wraith and go back to my 13.5t crawl master pro in that and put the brushless in the bomber.
bomber out of the box relies more on wheel speed than anything, whereas my wraith can go most places without needing wheel speed.

its a hard one haha
i might just have to try it out brushless and see how i like it i guess
bentles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:33 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

If you do anything to up the speed you're going to want a rear anti-sway bar. Took mine out for some U4/trail running and lost a set screw on my rear bar. The truck was pretty much worthless trying to climb any hill at speed. It would just pick up one tire and drift to one side.

Other than a decent brushless system the rear bar is my only "have to" change.
terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:12 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The purpose of my Bomber is to have fun. You knew someone would say it.

I wanted a rig that could do a few things well. I need it to crawl (which I think it does exceptionally well) because I have an SCX10 that I let my 7 year old daughter and 5 year old son use. I also wanted it to be able to bash a little. Out of the box, it has enough speed to be fun on the rocks in a dry creek bed. It isn't fast enough to jump stuff in the yard. I wish people did the U4 racing around here. I think the RR10 would be fun for that.

I still say you can have a fun solid rig with just a few modifications. All the Bomber really needs is a good steering servo and aluminum servo horn along with metal steering links. Even the stock plastic suspension links are pretty good especially compared to the SCX10 versions.

I have done a lot of research on modifications for the RR10. I feel like I have mine set up exactly perfect for me. I have a good brushless system in mine and it has made an already fun rig 5 times more fun. I have a Castle MMP esc and a Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro 2200kv along with a Castle bec. I was worried about the 2200kv motor not being fast enough. It is plenty fast for bashing on a 3s lipo. If I want stupid speed, I plug in a 4s lipo. I honestly don't see the need for a 3000+ kv motor. I guess it could be manageable with a sway bar. Once you go brushless, you will need metal suspension links, especially in the rear.
GLHS592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:55 AM   #7

My Bomber was a crawler which it does do very well out of the box ( the BFGs even hook up very well). I then upgraded to Holmes Brushless and did the usual round of mods (servo, steering, etc). I was blown away by the Bomber crawling but felt it lacked the personality I wanted and it it's now a trail rig. Because of my experience with my Bomber, I'm now building a Spawn Bomber combo rig to replace my Bomber as a trail truck. It's purely a "love for the Bombers Performance but feel limited aesthetically by the Bomber's platform" decision. The SCX10 is 100% for rock crawling. On the Trail the SCX10 looks like an RC car bouncing down the trail where the Bomber absorbs everything and looks very smooth. Now I need another excuse so I can purchase another rig....
Dornbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:29 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Had mine out today 2 different times, about an hour total. Not too many spots within walking distance, but still managed to find some pretty hardcore sheet rock/earth rock, natural stuff. Even with temps down in the mid/low 30's and misty snow & rain the Bomber was very impressive. I am falling more and more in love with my sensored brushless combo each time I have the rig out. I am glad to be at the point I am with it now, I have the rig at a consistant & reliable spot, & that (to me) is a big part of this bomber. The first few times I had it out things did break, so it's great to overcome that obstacle. I am able to now go back through and tune certian areas where I feel my bomber needs help. One major thing, gotta keep the front end planted. My next upgrade will be rear gears, I am beyond excited to see how well it does after a gear change! Fun, fun stuff!
F1GHTF1R3W1THF1Re. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:58 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

First, it is a sexy new rig/platform from axial. second, i am a addict.
Hello my name is.............................
hotrodsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:55 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I put a MMP and a Tekin Pro4 3300kv in mine and it can crawl just as well as it hauls ass. And its pretty easy to swap pinion gears to either crawl better or haul more ass too For cheap mods that are less likely to break shit you could do a 20t brushed motor for some speed and some crawlability. Brushless just opens up a whole new realm of breaking stuff which most of the time requires upgraded parts. Previously had a 20t brushed motor in mine and it did pretty good at everything, just didn't have the amount of torque the 4 pole Pro 4 has
generalee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:08 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

What makes the bomber so much more capable at "everything" than the wraith?
Drm31078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:35 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Nothing... Driver makes any rig
trig n tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:41 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodsoup View Post
first, it is a sexy new rig/platform from axial. Second, i am a addict.
Hello my name is.............................
x2!
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:06 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I intended to setup my bomber as a crawler/rock bouncer, but I don't think it is slow enough to be a true crawler. I made some mods this weekend without ever running it in stock form. Here is what I did:

Vanguard 3150 kv Brushless and ESC from a Yeti (non sensored), tuned with the Castle link
Castle Link quick connect
12t pinion gear, stock 64t spur gear
Axial aluminum motor mount
Axial 2 speed kit with the slower top speed gear installed, using stock steering servo
Dlux modified AR60 housings for both axles
43/13 UD gearing with Locked Up FI spools in both axles
Axial universal joint axles
JR high voltage 450 oz servo with Axial servo horn
SSD Titanium steering links (wraith, has to narrow the drag link 1.5mm to correct toe)
Brass Beef Tubes in the front axle
Yeti sway bar

I have only driven one 2s pack through it, and that was just messing around in my yard. In low gear the slow crawling is not as low as I thought it would be, thanks to the fast Yeti motor. It will crawl straight up a wall without issue, but compared to my last crawler (AX-10, sensored brushless, 4:1 reduction gearbox) it is fast and will cog mildly when trying to go very slow. I might try a 10t pinion gear to slow it down more. I used the Castle Link to change the throttle curve so it isn't as twitchy at light throttle and add 50% punch control to smooth out the delivery. I also reduced the overall power to 95%, but may reduce it more with 3s if it is uncontrollable in high gear. The JR servo seems awesome. I purchased a BEC to add, but the steering servo has plenty of torque to turn the tires when the truck is bound up off the stock Axial ESC power. The servo is rated at 450 oz @ 7.4 volts and around 400 oz @ 6v.

In high gear it has reasonable speed on 2s, should be plenty fast on 3s. Even with the sway bar, sharp turns put this thing on it's lid. I plan on swapping to different wheels and will push them out with wider hubs to make it more stable. I may lower the ride height slightly to help with high speed stability. On the good side, there is no torque twist when going full throttle on concrete and it reaches top speed very quickly.

I will likely run this motor setup for a while then upgrade to sensored brushless to make it a better crawler.

Last edited by BroncoAZ; 01-18-2016 at 02:52 AM.
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:26 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I have a Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro 3500 kv in mine as well as a rear sway bar and its a freakin' blast. To me, with this setup I'm getting the experience I thought I would get with the Yeti. I can crawl and bash.
thisdougsforu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:04 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

We use the bomber for exporing scenery... it would be nice to do some cone dodging with it.

If I am working away I'll take it for a walk in search of interesting terrain. It is a good way to unwind and explore. The biggest risk in forests is losing track of how I got to where I am!

Its fairly stock with Axial 31331 sway bar and the two-speed conversion, the battery is a 5300 2s and provides plenty of run time. The sway bar has made a big difference to climb performance and keeps torque twist under control (even after flipping the ring and pinions).

I thought about changing the motor pinion but it already goes faster than I can walk and I suspect that increasing the gearing will reduce the run time. Since it is easier to drive it than carry I think I'll leave it as is!
IntrepidMercians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:11 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

A fellow Australian!
Where abouts are you located?

I have been building my Bomber kit up over the past month or so, just waiting on the last of the electronics and radio gear (which should happen in the next couple of days) and it should be ready to roll.
Everything has been built with the kit parts, so no upgrades as yet (save for an aluminium servo horn), and that's the way I intend on keeping it until I start breaking stuff. I will be running a Holmes Puller Pro 3500KV though, so I can see a metal motor mount being fitted before too long.

I guess my intention for the Bomber is a well-rounded, do-it-all rig. Mainly some trailing/rock racing, with a bit of crawling thrown in there as well.
sabo308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:39 AM   #18

I want my Bomber to be dual purpose. I want to take it on the trails and do slow crawling while still being fast and quick enough to be fun. Currently I'm trying to decide on an ESC and motor combo for this and whether or not I want a 2-speed tranny.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:51 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

My bomber is dual purpose too, it keeps the papers on my desk from blowing around the room, and sometimes I use it to prop open the door from my hobby room to the kitchen.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:52 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I plan to use mine and whatever the next crawler I get as bookends.... (SCX10 II? Ascender truggy?)

But seriously, I'm building mine in the hopes that it will deal with a 3500kv Holmes PP Std and 3S without breaking all the time, keeping it geared-down a fair amount.

Picking as many bomb(er)-proof parts as I can afford, OK - more than I can afford...

Not racing, only going semi-fast on less rocky terrain and much slower on rocks, some hillclimbs and plenty of trail-exploring.

I really want the speeds to be scaled-down so that a video of the 1:1 compared to my build look like they are proportionate.

Hoping the suspension action is also very visible, not too stiff.

Even though I'm starting out w/2.2" wheels and stock kit tires, I may go 1.9' with a 4.5"-4.75" tire height later.

Probably won't go nuts on scale accessories, though, don't want stuff breaking off when I tumble ass-over-tea kettle.

It's gonna get scuffed and scarred, that's OK with me!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote

what is the purpose of your bomber? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WIDE 1.9......they could have purpose. 808DA6 Tires and Wheels 7 06-01-2011 10:01 PM
Best multi-purpose? jessecuster Newbie General 8 09-11-2010 12:48 PM
Purpose of Lockouts? aggierc Newbie General 2 11-25-2009 07:24 PM