Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Budget upgrade for axles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Budget upgrade for axles?

Whats everyone using for the rear axle, besides the stock Axial shafts..
NitritedCarbide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2016, 01:25 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

I built mine with dlux housings, brass beef tubes, Axial UD gears, LURC FI Spools, Axial universals in front. I am still running the plastic lockouts in the rear and chubs/knuckles in front. I started out with beef tubes in the front only to save a few bucks but quickly broke a rear housing, then had to spend $20 on a housing and $20 on rear shafts. I recently installed the new VP one piece servo mount, definitely worth $12 over the factory bendy plastic unit.

At a minimum I would do beef tubes (front and rear, probably steel for thread durability if I were doing them again) and shim the stock pinion gearing to extend gear life. I would also recommend the VP one piece servo mount, a real steering servo, and some non plastic steering links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm31078 View Post
Anyone use the brass beef tubes? Any issues with them?
I am running the brass beef tubes front and rear without issues. I would assume the brass would be easier to strip the threads on, so be careful not to overtighten the chub and lockout screws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch571 View Post
I have axial universals on my bomber an i do not like them at all.. after a couple runs the "u-joint" part of the axle got really loose an sloppy.. like mentioned above so the tires flop around a little bit..
I haven't noticed this on mine yet, probably 20 hours of use on them now. I am still running brushed power (Titan 21T). If I damage these I will try the budget friendly Incision units as those are nicely made and seem to work well on my Yeti.
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitritedCarbide View Post
Whats everyone using for the rear axle, besides the stock Axial shafts..
Stock Axial shafts here. The only times I have damaged them is when I have broken the plastic axle housing and they get bent.
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Budget upgrade for axles? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
upgrade axles??? R/C BUM Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 4 08-28-2010 07:46 PM
Budget Chassis/Axles for a 2.2 Scaler? alexchen86 2.2 Scale Rigs 4 07-17-2010 08:42 PM
anyone upgrade to 5mm axles doomdog666 General Crawlers 3 04-10-2008 12:50 PM
Need help finding tlt axles on a budget stack'o'rocks Newbie General 6 06-06-2007 04:41 PM