Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: 2-shot's BGR Fabrications Bomber Build - "Bombdiggity"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2016, 11:00 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 2-shot's BGR Fabrications Bomber Build - "Bombdiggity"

I believe that I'll have #3. Can't wait. Seeing all this really amps it up. Nicely done.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2016, 01:46 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonis_mp View Post
Man this is a sweet build, which I would have gone this route instead of RTR. Keep it up.

I was originally gonna buy a RTR when they were first released. Bill (BGR) told me that he wanted to build a Bomber chassis. So he told me that it would be silly to buy a RTR when all I needed was a Bomber skid plate, tranny, interior, and body panels.

It made more sense for me to go that route, knowing I would be upgrading and replacing 95% of the Bomber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2-shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:29 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

Sorry guys.... I've been sick the last couple of days. Haven't worked on the build. I'm hoping to get back on it in the next day or so.
I definitely haven't put it on the back burner!! LOL!!

Old 02-03-2016, 05:37 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
I believe that I'll have #3. Can't wait. Seeing all this really amps it up. Nicely done.

I believe so, too!!!

Old 02-03-2016, 10:44 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

I got the front links assembled and installed on the BGR Bomber tonight.
The pinion angle should be pretty close, but I'm sure I'll have to make some adjustments to it later on.
Yes, that's the stock tranny on the skid! LOL!!
I would like to try to use the stock tranny, due to the 2-speed add on. Not sure how well it's going to work with a centered pumpkin Currie rear axle. I do have a DMG tranny adapter plate on stand-by, if I can't get the stock tranny to work with the centered pumpkin rear axle. I'm not putting a ton of faith into the two working together, due to the amount of droop I wanna have on it. We'll see what happens! LOL!!
I did open up the stock tranny, re-greased it, and replaced the stock bearings with Avid RC Revolution bearings.

All of the packages of parts is starting to look like something!!

I'll work on the rear links and trailing arms tomorrow evening, along with getting the MIP Yeti rear driveshaft and the MIP Wraith front driveshaft installed.

Stay tuned..... Plenty more to come!!!

Old 02-04-2016, 09:28 PM   #26

Sweet!
dlgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:42 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

It's been a few days since my last update.

I got my VP Yeti rear upper links and VP trailing arms installed, late last night. I ended up using Traxxas Jato rod ends on the VP Yeti rear upper links to get the pinion angle I wanted. I used the Jato rod ends on both ends of the links (4 total).
I'm gonna swap the black Currie rear upper link mount for a clear anodized link mount. It's purely for cosmetic purposes, but I think it'll look much better and tie in the look of the raw aluminum BGR chassis with the black Currie axles.

After some thought, I've decided to swap out the stock Bomber tranny. I'm gonna put a SCX10 tranny with extended rear output shaft, in it. It'll be a more simple setup, and eliminate any issues using the Currie center pumpkin rear axle. I have parts ordered for the SCX10 tranny, but in the meantime, I'm going to "borrow" a SCX10 bomb proof tranny from one of my other rigs! LOL!!

I'll have to figure out where or how I'm gonna mount my esc. I have a couple ideas rolling around, but it will require a little fabrication. We'll see if I learned anything from working with Bill on my chassis!! LOL!!
I'll post more pics when I have the SCX10 tranny installed!

Old 02-06-2016, 12:02 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Hey brother quick question does it change anything by putting the upper links with the short side of the bend to the axle vs on the skid side?
rcaholic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:39 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaholic13 View Post
Hey brother quick question does it change anything by putting the upper links with the short side of the bend to the axle vs on the skid side?

Not that I'm aware of. I couldn't remember if the short side of the bend went towards the axle or the skid. I looked at a pic on VP's site, and from what I could tell, it looked like they had the short side of the bend pointing towards the axle. It was really late when I installed them, so mine might be on backwards....

This is what I was going by....

Old 02-06-2016, 12:44 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Yea them pictures are deceiving I installed mine as I took them off and I just looked at it and mine are opposite of yours I did the same thing last night on my wraith cause like you couldn't remember and realized it points the diff a little higher I swapped them around and it sits flat now
Old 02-06-2016, 12:46 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

But then again I couldn't tell you which way is right lol that's why I was asking hehe
Old 02-06-2016, 12:49 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Quote:
But then again I couldn't tell you which way is right lol that's why I was asking hehe

Hmmmm....
Maybe I'll swap mine around and see if it makes a difference. I'm using Jato rod ends on both ends of both links. So, I have some ultra pinion angle goin on!! LOL!!

Thanks for the info!!

Old 02-06-2016, 12:50 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Anytime my friend "thumbs-up"
Old 02-06-2016, 01:10 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

I think the only difference is that it clears the driveline a little more with the bend out back (if you were offset though). That or I am completely misunderstanding what you guys are talking about.

Edit: Interesting, I am not arguing in any way but wouldn't the angle be the same? Bends should be irrelevant in respect to mounting point A and B are the same point and distance, and the link length is unchanged. Again not arguing, just interesting. Just keep going..... this thing is off the charts man!!
Quote:
Yea them pictures are deceiving I installed mine as I took them off and I just looked at it and mine are opposite of yours I did the same thing last night on my wraith cause like you couldn't remember and realized it points the diff a little higher I swapped them around and it sits flat now

Last edited by Joshs4x4toyz; 02-06-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:18 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

I put mine the same way they came off. One the plastic ones the short side is towards the skid.
I would wager that if you put the long side toward the skid, you might lose some suspension compression, due to the bend hitting the chassis, but I too have yet to test anything out(...waiting on some goodies from holmeshobbies).
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:25 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander_0_1 View Post
I put mine the same way they came off. One the plastic ones the short side is towards the skid.
I would wager that if you put the long side toward the skid, you might lose some suspension compression, due to the bend hitting the chassis, but I too have yet to test anything out(...waiting on some goodies from holmeshobbies).

On my BGR chassis, I'm not having any issues with suspension compression and clearance, with the long side towards the skid.... It may be different with the stock chassis, though....

Old 02-06-2016, 01:26 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshs4x4toyz View Post
I think the only difference is that it clears the driveline a little more with the bend out back (if you were offset though). That or I am completely misunderstanding what you guys are talking about.

Edit: Interesting, I am not arguing in any way but wouldn't the angle be the same? Bends should be irrelevant in respect to mounting point A and B are the same point and distance, and the link length is unchanged. Again not arguing, just interesting. Just keep going..... this thing is off the charts man!!

Yeah, I agree! I'm gonna roll with it and see what happens. Very easy fix to turn some links around!! LOL!!

Thanks for the compliment!!

Old 02-06-2016, 06:31 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Default 2-shot's BGR Fabrications Bomber Build - "Bombdiggity"

Since I've decided to yank the stock tranny and go with a VP, Robinson Racing, SuperShafty tranny, I've been mocking up the tranny, driveshafts, and how I wanna mount the esc.
I think I've got it figured out!!

I'm gonna use one of the existing threaded holes in the DMG tranny adapter plate. I'll have to drill two more holes for M3 screws. I'm gonna use three 3mm X 25mm internally threaded links/stand offs I ordered from RC4WD. I'll use two spacers on the left side of the tranny output, and one on the right side of the tranny output (between motor and output shaft). Then I'll cut a thin piece of aluminum, drill three holes that correspond with the spacers and screw it down! That should give me plenty of room to mount a big nasty esc! LOL!

Here's a pic of what I'm going to do. The spacers in the pic aren't the correct size, but it'll give you an idea of my plan!

I also got my MIP Yeti rear driveshaft and my MIP Wraith front driveshaft assembled and mocked up on the Bombdiggity!

I'm gonna be waiting a few days for tranny parts and spacers. I'm gonna switch gears and work on some wheels and tires!! WooHoo!! I love building wheels and mounting tires!!

Stay tuned.....

Last edited by 2-shot; 02-07-2016 at 12:03 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:46 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Exactly how i would have done it. The DMG plate leaves way more than enough options for raised mounting platforms. Plus it looks like a driveshaft scatter shield.
cmbscx10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:49 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Agreed. After having both style transmissions in both my bombers I realize the SCX/Wraith style trans is the way to go. Smaller, simpler, stronger, and lighter. I'm really surprised that an aluminum Yeti housing was never developed. I've seen an aluminum transfer case housing but no main trans housing.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote

2-shot's BGR Fabrications Bomber Build - "Bombdiggity" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BGR fabrications Bomber chassis!! BGR Fabrications Axial RR10 Bomber 80 02-11-2020 07:11 AM
BGR Fabrications Ultra4 build, 1.9... Angus_Beef Axial Wraith 45 02-21-2016 06:06 PM
BGR KOH Style Build "Bodi-Size" BodiBuilt Axial Wraith 33 10-27-2013 07:07 PM